Target Canada CEO gets $61M in severance - almost the same as 17,000 employees total | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Target Canada CEO gets $61M in severance - almost the same as 17,000 employees total

17.000 people working at Target, total number of guys the Target thought may be capable of running Canada ? yeah 1.

Consultants, HR departments and cronyism cause all these problems....but mostly dumbass consultants and the dumbass business owners , shareholeers, directors who listen to them

I did not want to quote the long post...was good Mongrel

The stupid part...they are putting all their eggs in 1 basket meaning 1 person
They spend millions on risk avoidance and instead of spreading the knowledge for a stronger company put it into 1 guy and when he leaves or croaks the company goes bust

brilliant strategy!!

You get a less qualified guy. There's competition out there for these high level jobs- if you're paying 1/4 of what your competitors are paying, you're gonna get less for your money.

Whether he's worth it or not, that's up to the board and shareholders to decide. Obviously this shmuck wasn't worth a single penny, since Target failed miserably in Canada.

And that's the kicker in this situation.

It's one thing to say the CEO of a prosperous company is doing a job worthy of getting paid so many hundred times more than the lowest labourer, but this clown jumped ship while their whole Canadian venture **** the bed!

His reward for colossally ****ing it up was MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! This throws the entire concept of value and qualifications out the window, because, evidently, you don't need to demonstrate you are good at your job in order to earn.

And that's the kicker in this situation.

It's one thing to say the CEO of a prosperous company is doing a job worthy of getting paid so many hundred times more than the lowest labourer, but this clown jumped ship while their whole Canadian venture **** the bed!

His reward for colossally ****ing it up was MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! This throws the entire concept of value and qualifications out the window, because, evidently, you don't need to demonstrate you are good at your job in order to earn.

Like I said, the skill being rewarded is not good management, but good self-promotion.

You know the old story about the guy starting in the mail room working his way up to CEO. Were those guys always hot-shot geniuses? Some were, but hot-shot geniuses usually don't start in the mail room or whatever other grunt work position is used in these stories. Most were just a guy who was a little smarter than average and who worked harder. Some of them leaned more on the smart side some on the hard work side, but the reason those guys eventually became a success as VPs or CEOs is because they knew the company inside and out - they knew the culture, how the employees worked, what the company was doing wrong or right, and so on.

Honestly, if you don't have geniuses to bail you out, the best alternative is to get lots of people all working as well together as possible. But that means harmony, that means trust, and the modern corporation is all about discipline by fear, about gutting the balance sheet to try and extract the most work for the fewest dollars. That sort of thing often works for a short while, sometimes even works wonders, but in the long term or even the medium term employees just get cynical and it wrecks a place. Never mind not working together well, they start stealing everything not nailed down.

One of my old jobs used to be catching those guys and let me tell you, as long as the employees knew the company didn't give two ***** about them, they were happy to work for six months, steal every bit of customer info they could, then quit right before they were going to be fired and do it again six months later. The company wouldn't even prosecute thieves - way too much trouble, so just lay them off, package and everything! The company just kept putting in more control measures, more spy software, time check stuff, screen monitoring, bosses harassing employees, you name it. Never stopped a thing. But they would never try a different strategy - nope, they loved it because the same software also makes sure no one's goofing off for even a moment, everything's metered down to the damn second.

I remember years back I worked in a union shop and it had a pretty bad us-versus-them dynamic, all arguments and procedural fights and the like. For years I thought that was as bad as it could get, but working for major corporations has been a whole different animal. I saw the way the front line employees worked every day and it's getting to be some real police state stuff. You can't have real teamwork under those conditions. Sure a few guys do good no matter how bad things get, but most people just shovel the **** onto anyone they can.

Last edited:
Like I said, the skill being rewarded is not good management, but good self-promotion.

You know the old story about the guy starting in the mail room working his way up to CEO. Were those guys always hot-shot geniuses? Some were, but hot-shot geniuses usually don't start in the mail room or whatever other grunt work position is used in these stories. Most were just a guy who was a little smarter than average and who worked harder. Some of them leaned more on the smart side some on the hard work side, but the reason those guys eventually became a success as VPs or CEOs is because they knew the company inside and out - they knew the culture, how the employees worked, what the company was doing wrong or right, and so on.

Honestly, if you don't have geniuses to bail you out, the best alternative is to get lots of people all working as well together as possible. But that means harmony, that means trust, and the modern corporation is all about discipline by fear, about gutting the balance sheet to try and extract the most work for the fewest dollars. That sort of thing often works for a short while, sometimes even works wonders, but in the long term or even the medium term employees just get cynical and it wrecks a place. Never mind not working together well, they start stealing everything not nailed down.

One of my old jobs used to be catching those guys and let me tell you, as long as the employees knew the company didn't give two ***** about them, they were happy to work for six months, steal every bit of customer info they could, then quit right before they were going to be fired and do it again six months later. The company wouldn't even prosecute thieves - way too much trouble, so just lay them off, package and everything! The company just kept putting in more control measures, more spy software, time check stuff, screen monitoring, bosses harassing employees, you name it. Never stopped a thing. But they would never try a different strategy - nope, they loved it because the same software also makes sure no one's goofing off for even a moment, everything's metered down to the damn second.

I remember years back I worked in a union shop and it had a pretty bad us-versus-them dynamic, all arguments and procedural fights and the like. For years I thought that was as bad as it could get, but working for major corporations has been a whole different animal. I saw the way the front line employees worked every day and it's getting to be some real police state stuff. You can't have real teamwork under those conditions. Sure a few guys do good no matter how bad things get, but most people just shovel the **** onto anyone they can.
Best description I've ever seen of that:

corp_cultcar_05.jpg

The managers look down and all they see is s***, the workers look up and all they see are a**holes

Back
Top Bottom