Target Canada CEO gets $61M in severance - almost the same as 17,000 employees total | GTAMotorcycle.com

Target Canada CEO gets $61M in severance - almost the same as 17,000 employees total

-D-

Banned
WOW!
I failed I get paid $61m.
Told you guys you are doing this wrong.
Failure=$$$$$$

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01/21/target-ceo-severance-canadian-workers_n_6517272.html

[h=1]Target CEO's Golden Handshake Pretty Much Matches The One For All 17,600 Canadian Employees[/h]
n-GREGG-STEINHAFEL-large.jpg

An interesting talking point has seized the interwebs today: The amount of money Target has set aside to pay its Canadian staff is slightly less than the money it paid out to one former employee: Its CEO.
Gregg Steinhafel took a total of $61 million U.S. from Target when he left the company last spring, according to Fortune's calculations. Meanwhile, the fund Target set up to pay employees as it winds down operations over the next four months is set at $56 million U.S. (That’s $70 million Canadian, at current exchange rates.)
Interestingly, Target’s money-losing foray into Canada was one of the top reasons cited for Steinhafel’s departure when he resigned last May, along with the retailer's infamous credit card data breach.
To be clear, Steinhafel’s actual severance package — the money he got just for handing in a letter of resignation — amounted to $15.9 million. But add in his deferred compensation (a kind of tax-saving retirement fund), his stock options and a pension that he got to keep, and Fortune calculates his total “walk-away” package at $61 million.
That number is actually kind of hard to pin down, thanks to changing stock prices and other variables. USA Today calculated a slightly lower number for Steinhafel’s departure, at $55 million, while Bloomberg calculated his retirement plans as being worth $47 million.
Regardless of the actual number, the scale of Steinhafel’s pay compared to the compensation for Target's entire Canadian staff is raising eyebrows online.
Many economists studying the roots of the rising income gap argue that inequality actually happens within companies — it’s the result of businesses constantly hiking pay for their top managers while holding down labour costs for the rest of the company.
In that context, Steinhafel’s massive payout is one singularly large contribution to the problem.
The gap between top execs and everyone else has been growing for decades. U.S. CEOs today typically earn 354 times as much as the average worker at their company, compared to just 46 times average worker pay thirty years ago.
In Canada, the CEO-to-worker pay ratio is lower, at 206 times average pay, but that’s still one of the largest pay gaps in the developed world. (In Britain it’s only 84.)
At the big-box retailers, the inequality is even larger: Steinhafel’s pay was 597 times the pay of the average Target employee, according to a 2013 ranking from PayScale.com. Only Walmart’s CEO, Michael T. Duke, made out better: He earned 1,034 times the average Walmart employee’s salary.
So if you want to know where rising inequality comes from, just take a look at your local big-box retailer.

Well, no surprise there.

You have to pay to get top quality people. Everybody knows that.

Top quality people can be hard to find, but not half so rare and precious as the corporate world would have you believe.

Top quality people can be hard to find, but not half so rare and precious as the corporate world would have you believe.

My comment was tongue-in-cheek. I always do that when commenting on money losing ventures. Because I could do that a lot cheaper.

It's all negotiated upfront. Good for him for getting this deal. Any of us would take and love that deal all day long every day.

Last edited:
Costco CEO Craig Jelenik $440k salary with $1.4 million bonus and $2 million stock options....and he heads the 2nd largest retailer in North America. Just how much $$ is enough for a job well done? Seems like that might be around the right amount. And he is successful. That $61 million severance makes me ill. Everyone nowadays wants more, more, more. Like Lotto Max. Does anyone need $50 million? Much rather have 10 $5 million prizes. But I guess everyone`s $h** don`t stink, and they are worth, no, deserve the obscene amounts of money.
(I really like gtam much better on my pc than on Tapatalk-- look at me with italics. Quick! Everyone reply to me so I can multi-quote lol)

It's all negotiated upfront. Good for him for getting tthis deal. Any of us would take and love that deal all day long every day.

Good for him, I don't really blame him for negotiating that, he's probably a sociopath. It's those negotiating on behalf of the company that I question. What really gets my goat is public sector CEO's negotiating ridiculous pay packages with representatives of the payer(taxpayer) like there are no other options. Like CEO's of hospitals for example. It's not like they're an entruepenar with risk attached.

Last edited:
It's all negotiated upfront. Good for him for getting this deal. Any of us would take and love that deal all day long every day.
Chump change for you, huh?
Dolla Dolla Bills Yall! C.R.E.A.M.
(this is me being jealous) :)

The part that sickens me is the fact that the now jobless 17k will pay far more on income tax for their 61 mil than their departing CEO will.

The part that sickens me is the fact that the now jobless 17k will pay far more on income tax for their 61 mil than their departing CEO
Beat me to it. Anyone person making that n the downfalls of others should be in a zillion percent tax bracket

I could spend any amount of money I was given or earned from hundreds to billions it's all in the want

Amen to that. It's all on a sliding scale.

I do okay, but I want more. If I had 1 million a year, I'd want 10. I could blow 10 in a week. If I had 10, I'd probably want 100, because you can't quite BALL with 10 million. Once that $100M rolled in, I'd probably want private jets and 200' yachts, so I'd need a billion. Rinse, repeat.

I do okay, but I want more. If I had 1 million a year, I'd want 10. I could blow 10 in a week. If I had 10, I'd probably want 100, because you can't quite BALL with 10 million. Once that $100M rolled in, I'd probably want private jets and 200' yachts, so I'd need a billion. Rinse, repeat.

This is worth exploring. Are you serious?

The world is not enough. Gotta be happy with what you have.

I bet our resident rich-guy up there can easily think of ways to spend money he doesn't have.

I dont think this problem will ever be fixed, I think it will just get worse... But I believe CEOs should only get 1million a year tops, across the board and the rest of the profits should be shared among the workforce (more lower income people have more disposable income helps the economy, I mean how many pillows,cars,beds, tvs etc can one person buy? vs the thousands that have been laid off).

The part that sickens me is the fact that the now jobless 17k will pay far more on income tax for their 61 mil than their departing CEO will.

Really could you tell me how that works when the more you make the more you pay percentage wise. Could we please stop this myth that high earners pay less tax percentage wise it's just plain stupid

Yup

I dont think this problem will ever be fixed, I think it will just get worse... But I believe CEOs should only get 1million a year tops, across the board and the rest of the profits should be shared among the workforce (more lower income people have more disposable income helps the economy, I mean how many pillows,cars,beds, tvs etc can one person buy? vs the thousands that have been laid off).

Hahhaaha....ooookkkkk.

Back
Top Bottom