Keihin Carb Mods, Cleaning and Rebuild 2001 Suzuki Bandit 600S | GTAMotorcycle.com

Keihin Carb Mods, Cleaning and Rebuild 2001 Suzuki Bandit 600S

Nate

Hey all.... I'm a licensed mechanic in the automobile industry and new to working on motorcycles. I say this to make aware I have some technical aptitude. I haven't touched a carb in near 20 years, and back then it was a 1979 Pontiac, LOL. So this is a new territory. I've watched videos, and it looks straight forward. I want to to the job once though.... Well for now, I understand that regular cleanings aren't unheard of. I want to solve this bogging issue until 7000rpm. Will a simple cleaning solve it? Or should I change up the pilot jet and add a washer to the slide needle? Any input is welcomed please and thanks!

It is pretty straight forward, yes. If the bike is stock make sure all the carb settings are factory spec too. Sometimes things get moved. Mixture screw; needle setting; are the jets the right ones; etc. Clean the carbs thoroughly. Make sure they're synced/balanced. If that doesn't clear things up then either you missed something, the bike is not stock (and needs different settings), or the problem lies elsewhere. Oh, and find a service manual - they have all the info in them.

I've downloaded the manual on the forum... I have them back together, I enrichened the mixture screws and it is much smoother. One screw was all the way seated from factory :-\ I counted the turns in before removing them, thats how I knew. And the factory caps were still covering the screws... Going through bandit forums, its common for these bikes to have dead spots in the power band before peak power. Next solution is to try a jet kit that is specifically designed to solve the issue. They are set to run lean from factory.

I've downloaded the manual on the forum... I have them back together, I enrichened the mixture screws and it is much smoother. One screw was all the way seated from factory :-\ I counted the turns in before removing them, thats how I knew. And the factory caps were still covering the screws... Going through bandit forums, its common for these bikes to have dead spots in the power band before peak power. Next solution is to try a jet kit that is specifically designed to solve the issue. They are set to run lean from factory.

there should not be any dead spots when a carb transitions from circuit to circuit, not knowing what keihin you have, if your flat in the middle, look at air slide/vacuum leaks and the needle jet. if you have disassembled and re-assembled this carb, you may have either left it out or put it in backwards. the accelerator pump should be clean with no holes in diaphram. keihins are excellent carbs and run right when handled correctly.

When I brought the bike home, it had a horrible dead spot... Its much better after the cleaning. I inspected all diaphragms for cracks and holes, all were in perfect shape. I've also heard that you have to rejet for colder air since its more dense and requires more fuel... So I'm going to leave it for now and see what it's like in the spring. Like I said, its way way better than before, I could barely blip the throttle with out it choking out... Now its responsive with the slightest throttle

When I brought the bike home, it had a horrible dead spot... Its much better after the cleaning. I inspected all diaphragms for cracks and holes, all were in perfect shape. I've also heard that you have to rejet for colder air since its more dense and requires more fuel... So I'm going to leave it for now and see what it's like in the spring. Like I said, its way way better than before, I could barely blip the throttle with out it choking out... Now its responsive with the slightest throttle

Also have a look at the fuel filter or strainer I had the same problem on my bandit although its an 07 1250 with fuel injection it was just sediment and crud built up over the years in the prestrainer and small filter before the pump .Removed tank and took out the strainer and fuel pump blow air and carbuerator cleaner and have been good since.
Good luck

Looks like you're on the right track. Like Skully said, check for vac. leaks in spring (the rubbers may be hardened over time and in need of replacement), and beyond rejetting to fix factory 'issues' you sound to be in good shape.

Thanks guys... I should have taken the petcock off and cleaned it while I was there. Going to get a filter and change it, I'm sure it's not that expensive.

There was a guy with a black truck & Bandit in Bay 5 yesterday ...

Back
Top Bottom