Art Students... | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Art Students...

I signed paperwork when I started my job stating that anything I design or invent is the property of my employer. Standard stuff. Nothing malicious here. .....

I added a clause to exempt anything not relating directly to my job. They own job related performance done during work hours only.

How about the tuition they paid to get an art degree... that is the real abuse here.

They do not have to enter the contest, so this is the best option if they are worried about their IP. It realy is that simple. It is an opportunity to get a head (and get a big break) in a very tough over graduated field.

BTW, a long time ago I had an 8 hour interview at an auto plant that included "fake" assembly line work etc. I was not paid for the day, I am not crying about it (got the job BTW...but many did not). If I didn't want to eat the day then I would not have gone, but it was an opportunity! We can come up with examples all day and none will be exactly the same, becuase they are not exactly the same.

It's only been stated 30 times in this 100-post thread... LETS DO IT AGAIN!

We're not talking 12th century poetry art grads here...

Neither am I, if wiki is correct almost up to the 50s it was an Olympic contest.

"
Art competitions formed part of the modern Olympic Games during its early years, from 1912 to 1948."

This is for STUDENTS eh, so they're straight-up amateurs. They are not even close to being professionals yet. The competition is a learning exercise with a potential reward. The fact that they expect to be paid is hilarious. Besides, It's better than most assignments they'll be getting. As a graphic designer I have no problem with having these contests for students. I even participated in similar competitions myself back in the day.

I think the biggest outrage here, and the reason for my uncontrolled fits of rage, is that the general public wasn't invited to participate. Am I not Canadian? Well, AM I NOT?

I think the biggest outrage here, and the reason for my uncontrolled fits of rage, is that the general public wasn't invited to participate. Am I not Canadian? Well, AM I NOT?

As long as you were enrolled in a post secondary school in 14/15 you were invited.

One thing that I don't believe was mentioned is that this is open to ALL students, not just art/ graphic design. So if some lit major happens to enjoy drawing for fun and submits an entry and wins, where is the harm in that? I enter writing contests all the time, but I am not a writer. Hell, I can barely spell at the best of times. But I do enjoy writing the occasional piece, and if it won a prize, I'd be pretty darn happy. And if the whole country got to see it? Well, forget about my resume, that $h** is going on my tombstone!

As long as you were enrolled in a post secondary school in 14/15 you were invited.

One thing that I don't believe was mentioned is that this is open to ALL students, not just art/ graphic design. So if some lit major happens to enjoy drawing for fun and submits an entry and wins, where is the harm in that? I enter writing contests all the time, but I am not a writer. Hell, I can barely spell at the best of times. But I do enjoy writing the occasional piece, and if it won a prize, I'd be pretty darn happy. And if the whole country got to see it? Well, forget about my resume, that $h** is going on my tombstone!

So here's the point: when you entered the writing contest and won, did you relinquish copyright of your composition? Did the top finishers (finalists) also give up their rights to use their compositions?

One thing that I don't believe was mentioned is that this is open to ALL students, not just art/ graphic design. So if some lit major happens to enjoy drawing for fun and submits an entry and wins, where is the harm in that? I enter blah blah blah

Wait. This is open to all post secondary school students? If so then these art/graphic design wannabes can bite me. Are they in cahootes with Huffpost? Then this huffpost puff piece is not exactly accurate reportage if true.

Last edited:
So here's the point: when you entered the writing contest and won, did you relinquish copyright of your composition? Did the top finishers (finalists) also give up their rights to use their compositions?

Don't get me wrong, for someone who is going to make a career of it, giving away ip, and not being the winner, is questionable. But in the case of a hack like myself, I wouldn't really care.

I do apologize if I'm a little back and forth on this, but I think the protest was extreme. There was a contest where you had to send in a pic of your child. They held rights to use the pic as they saw fit. I didn't enter, because I didn't agree with it. If it was a picture of me, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

My kid's school sends home a paper for permission to use our children's pictures in promotional material. I'm okay with that, but if he gets into modeling, I will not give permission next year.

Don't get me wrong, for someone who is going to make a career of it, giving away ip, and not being the winner, is questionable. But in the case of a hack like myself, I wouldn't really care.

I do apologize if I'm a little back and forth on this, but I think the protest was extreme. There was a contest where you had to send in a pic of your child. They held rights to use the pic as they saw fit. I didn't enter, because I didn't agree with it. If it was a picture of me, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

My kid's school sends home a paper for permission to use our children's pictures in promotional material. I'm okay with that, but if he gets into modeling, I will not give permission next year.

I think the protest is extreme because of the lack-of-attention on the industry practice of relying on pro-bono work.

A competition is just that, a competition. But I think this particular event (and government involvement) is the straw that broke the camel's back.

For some reason I'm now reminded of when Rogers held a public competition to rename the Skydome and the winning entry was... the Rogers Centre. :rolleyes:

I actually see both sides of this.
I do see how easy it is to pull a legal scam.

My company
1. $500 prize for winning design
2. we own all the rights to all submissions
3. you get 1000+ ideas submitted to you
4. pay someone $500 for "winning"
5. use all the other design ideas for future needs, modify some a bit and all is good and legal

It's a tricky thing to keep track of.

For something of this magnitude, why is the govt being so cheap?
They could have offered a $50k tuition grant etc...

They don't need to offer more than 5k so why bother? They'll have plenty of submissions regardless.

They don't need to offer more than 5k so why bother? They'll have plenty of submissions regardless.

They are creating something significant that marks a nation's milestone.
but hey sure, treat your citizens like lowlife's
they blow BILLIONS on NOTHING

Take $100k split to the top 5 finalists to be paid via educational grant. INVESTMENT into the people and back into the country.
But hey, let's all expect and settle for less with our taxes
We are rapidly becoming a watered down nation. The lack of collective citizenship is concerning. We are becoming polarized like the US.

I actually see both sides of this.
I do see how easy it is to pull a legal scam.

My company
1. $500 prize for winning design
2. we own all the rights to all submissions
3. you get 1000+ ideas submitted to you
4. pay someone $500 for "winning"
5. use all the other design ideas for future needs, modify some a bit and all is good and legal

It's a tricky thing to keep track of.

Kinda like the raffling off a dead horse. You only need refund the winner's ticket.

Back
Top Bottom