Art Students... | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Art Students...

Handing over IP and copyright in a BIDDING process is unheard of. At least to me.

So now you see how this contest isn't at all like a BIDDING process.

I think this deal is a bit different than bidding on Granny Smiths' new furnace in that it's citizens doing it for Government and country. Like an honour and civic participation. I'd hate to think there's any nefarious intent. Maybe next go around, the dept. in charge might institute some sort of remuneration set up as window dressing.

Handing over IP and copyright in a BIDDING process is unheard of. At least to me.

So now you see how this contest isn't at all like a BIDDING process.

Only finalists are expected to hand over IP rights. I read that as "if you win you agree to hand over IP rights"

Nothing unexpected there.

"Finalists"

AKA

"we're gonna take full ownership of every entry we like and only one of you is getting any money"

Are you on crack or just intentionally obtuse?

Looks like we have some finalists right here.

I understand the English language, if that makes me obtuse then I suppose I'm being obtuse.

If I get involved we could have an obtuse triangle.

Finalists. Aka THE NICEST SUBMISSIONS

AKA "WE TAKE OWNERSHIP OF THE NICEST WORK BUT ONLY PAY FOR ONE (THE WINNER)"

No I'd say you dont understand English.

Are we going to all caps? That's a game changer.

Finalists. Aka THE NICEST SUBMISSIONS

AKA "WE TAKE OWNERSHIP OF THE NICEST WORK BUT ONLY PAY FOR ONE (THE WINNER)"

No I'd say you dont understand English.

I assume that's written in the contest rules somewhere and that you didn't just pull that out of your ***?

I know it doesn't take much, but now I'm confused.... It does say only finalists, but it doesn't state how many finalists there will be, therefore I read it as they could declare all entrants finalists, and then retain ip to all of them and only paying the winner. Oh. Wait. It's the government of Canada, they would NEVER do that. ?
BTW, who am I agreeing with?
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

I don't see it as any different from a normal bidding process. If you enter and don't win, you put your work into your portfolio anyways.

Ownership of the IP is dependant on the contract. Sometimes the artist can retain it and sometimes the payer owns it. Depends on the contract. From what I can see, entering the contest is agreeing to the ownership of the IP going to the Govt if you win. If you don't like the rules, don't enter. I have experience in the field. If I wasn't getting paid for it, I wouldn't do it unless I thought the payoff was worth the work to try. As for the IP of the "finalists" is that stated somewhere? didn't bother digging too deep. If it's for more than the winner, then it's up to the entrants if they want to go by those rules. Don't like it, don't enter. Stop whining. If no one enters, the Govt will just open it for bids from pro designers.

These design contests do not attract the best designers. If the government goes that route we will end up with an incredibly mediocre logo and everyone will complain about it.

When I was still in art college building up my paid work portfolio, I did a spec sample for someone along with a cost. The client had 3 submissions. He chose my work but another designer's lower quote. So he asked me if I'd be willing to sell my work for the lower price. Being a naive student, I accepted his offer. He got his chosen design along with the cheaper price, best of both worlds. Oh well, I never did that again.

Last edited:
I'm going to hate the design on principle alone.

These design contests do not attract the best designers. If the government goes that route we will end up with an incredibly mediocre logo and everyone will complain about it.

Must be how they got the City of Toronto logo.

Dammit I was away and missed some good points here....

You don't give away your IP just by submitting a bid! It's only for finalists...now that finalists isn't defined (or is it...didn't read the rules) then that's a whole different issue.

The students know what the deal is, if they feel that their work is being sold off with no reward, then don't bid/put in a design...it's a bidding process whether it's called a tender, or a contest as this one is.

As far as I know this is the way that even advertising companies go for work. They submit a tender, utilize a LOT of their own resources, and hope their design is the winning one.

I love the comments in the article that the government SHOULD put the students in touch with design firms and work on designs...wouldn't that change the entire nature of the contest into a full blown bidding process for work? Then people would ***** and complain that the students that weren't selected for roles in companies are unfairly kept away from submitting their design....you can't win either way...someone will complain about something.

A sole contractor, like I see these students being in this case, has the exact same method. Design, submit, and either get the price, or not.

Back
Top Bottom