Art Students... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Art Students...

Anchored with the hashtag #MyTimeHasValue, the campaign seeks to highlight how design competitions have become a means for companies and governments to obtain free work from designers, particularly when they're young. The logo competition is open only to post-secondary students.

Actually this part is true, and has been for a long time. Companies routinely pull this crap on students to get free stuff they'd otherwise have to pony up big money for. I don't blame em.

The winner gets money, everyone else works for free. By collective number of hours which will likely be spent on this by all the "contestants", the fed is getting a helluva deal. Imagine what it would cost to have a few dozen (hundred?) designers all submit work for your review? Yikes.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. I don't work for free, nor do I expect others to work for me for free. Like I said in my first post, this is a strategy often used by businesses (or the government, in this case) to get free work that would otherwise cost them a bunch of money. My wife is a designer, they were doing this when she was in school 10+ years ago.

And they're not doing it, and they're voicing their displeasure with the common tactic of organizations getting free design work. Whats the big deal? It doesn't make em entitled or bratty, they just don't wanna work for free. Kudos.

Fork for free ... yeah, I am sick of it on behalf of all the people who do have to consider that at any point in their lives. Apparently the Bank of Canada think it should be the new norm for young people.

Talk about making the rich richer ....

It's a contest. If you don't win, you're design is worthless. Why should you be rewarded for that? Don't enter if it's a bother. Has the world gone mad? Get a fridge magnet.

It may not be immediately apparent, but this is related to an ongoing problem in the States known as spec work. Spec work devalues the work of graphic designers in general, whether or not they participate in it themselves.

http://www.nospec.com/faq

This clause right here in the contest rules will scare off most entrants anyway:
Intellectual Property

Entries must be created solely by the Participant. Entries must be original and not infringe the intellectual property rights of others (such as copyright or trademark). Finalists agree to transfer ownership of their intellectual property rights (including copyright) in the Entry to the Government of Canada. The finalists also agree to waive all of their moral rights in the Entry in favour of the Government of Canada.

Last edited:
It may not be immediately apparent, but this is related to an ongoing problem in the States known as spec work. Spec work devalues the work of graphic designers in general, whether or not they participate in it themselves.

http://www.nospec.com/faq

This clause right here in the contest rules will scare off most entrants anyway:

NAW MAN, it's cool... its a contest!!!

Im gonna hold a renovation contest in my house... whichever contractor builds the nicest room gets a $5,000 prize

There is not one single thing RGD likes about this process. Nothing. Shoulda woulda coulda.

Having the opportunity to be the winning designer for your Country's 150th logo would look ****** on a resume.

Much better to spend all that talent on taking a selfie with a hastag...........

lol who cares about TV

This is spec work as described in that link above.. it devalues the hard work, it's disguised as a contest when in reality the entity is only concerned with saving a huge bucketload of cash to get the job done. Instead of seeking and interviewing agencies, going through a tender process, and then through the design process, they just farm out the work via social media and wait for the entries to come in from dumb students who don't know any better. The contest rules make it clear that the intellectual property and copyright is handed over entirely in the process, this is a big red flag.

These students are handling it right, IMO. If this was an isolated incident then you can look past it... its for CANADA, after all. BUT, this kinda **** happens all the time, and the students are getting wiser.

Im gonna hold a renovation contest in my house... whichever contractor builds the nicest room gets a $5,000 prize

Only an idiot would show up for that contest. Maybe the contractors could alert the Huffington Post of this humanitarian crisis?

NAW MAN, it's cool... its a contest!!!

A bit different though... in your competition, only you and your family will see the finished product.

In this art competition the winner's work will be across the country and part of this student's portfolio -- and as you must know if your wife is a designer, all of those students who hope to be successful graphic designers will need to have a decent portfolio to show their perspective employers.

Personally, I think this is a great opportunity for these students to possibly get recognition, a great addition to their portfolio, and $5000... what would any of them get if the government just contracted a commercial design company?

A bit different though... in your competition, only you and your family will see the finished product.

In this art competition the winner's work will be across the country and part of this student's portfolio -- and as you must know if your wife is a designer, all of those students who hope to be successful graphic designers will need to have a decent portfolio to show their perspective employers.

Personally, I think this is a great opportunity for these students to possibly get recognition, a great addition to their portfolio, and $5000... what would any of them get if the government just contracted a commercial design company?

The recognition bit is played out, every contest uses this claim.

Look, guys, I think its pretty clear we're gonna have to settle this disagreement with violence. Meet me at Dundas Square in 1 hour. No guns, only knives and blunt instruments.

The recognition bit is played out, every contest uses this claim.

Look, guys, I think its pretty clear we're gonna have to settle this disagreement with violence. Meet me at Dundas Square in 1 hour. No guns, only knives and blunt instruments.

Sorry, can't make it. Already had a whiskey and 3 beers -- no longer able to operate a motor vehicle. Maybe next time.

Back
Top Bottom