2010 Ninja 250 Leaking | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2010 Ninja 250 Leaking

pull the black side panels off.... air filter is accessible from the right side.....there are 3 allen bolts holding the cover on, take the air filter out and clean it (or buy a new one, the k&n ones aren't that expensive).....iirc...on the left side ... at the airbox there is what looks to be a rubber tube with a closed end...pull that off....mine was filled with junky gas/ oil mix.

Here, I googled it for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaGndC1s5wU

However, If there is that much gas coming out....you may have a carb issue.

I am not a mechanic

Hey I showed a mechanic from a bike shop and he said it is coming from the airbox too.. he said I have to clean it... any idea how to do that? I openned up the box but I cant see that it is overfilled. He said I need to remove carbs... Is that the only way to clean it? He wants to charge $110 to take a look...

Getting to the airbox to change the filter on the 250 is a pretty simple task. Getting access to it in order to clean it out is a lot more trouble.

You will need to get the battery out, and at least disconnect the carbs from the airbox. At that stage, you might just want to pull the carb out entirely. It will make massaging-out the airbox a little easier, and given the excess in there, you can give the carbs a good look as well.

Oh I see, yeah thats what the mechanic said I will have to do, just making sure because cleaning that seems a little more difficult than I thought. I have no clue how to disconnect the carbs from the airbox etc. Now I have to make a decision to ignore the excess oil or pay $110 for a mechanic to clean my airbox which seems silly.

Thanks all

Getting to the airbox to change the filter on the 250 is a pretty simple task. Getting access to it in order to clean it out is a lot more trouble.

You will need to get the battery out, and at least disconnect the carbs from the airbox. At that stage, you might just want to pull the carb out entirely. It will make massaging-out the airbox a little easier, and given the excess in there, you can give the carbs a good look as well.

Last edited:
Oh I see, yeah thats what the mechanic said I will have to do, just making sure because cleaning that seems a little more difficult than I thought. I have no clue how to disconnect the carbs from the airbox etc. Now I have to make a decision to ignore the excess oil or pay $110 for a mechanic to clean my airbox which seems silly.

Thanks all

I would download the SERVICE manual for the bike (not the owners manual). It will tell you how to take apart and put together everything on your bike.

Air Cleaner 3-23

http://www.manfaatplus.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Kawasaki_Ninja_250_Service_Manual.pdf

The other resource with using is YouTube. I bet if you search for Ninja 250 airbox, you can find some videos that will help.

If you're at all mechanically capable, you should be able to handle getting the airbox off.

EDIT: I take it back. It looks like a pain in the *** on your bike. You have to take the entire back wheel off to get it out. If you feel comfortable taking the back wheel off, that will probably be the hardest part.

Last edited:
Wow, I EDIT: I take it back. It looks like a pain in the *** on your bike. You have to take the entire back wheel off to get it out. If you feel comfortable taking the back wheel off, that will probably be the hardest part.

Wow, I didn't even realize you had to go that far - although I would say getting the rear wheel off is the easiest thing, compared to the headache the carbs are on these 250's. At worst, you'll be wrestling with the axle nut until you're blue in the face.

If you are getting the box out from the rear, you may not need to completely remove the carbs. Simply disconnect it on the airbox side. If things look nasty enough inside the airbox, then you can consider entirely removing the carbs for a clean, which would be easy with the room you would have given the box is out.

With a service manual and some online help, you will be able to tackle this on your own if you are willing. Just need to be patient and organized.

Hey I checked the excess fuel hose from where it is suppose to spit put the excess gas to the fuel tank and it seems fine, no signs of gas leaks on the hose.

I check the carbs and they both seem clean too. I also lifted the fuel tank and it was clean.

As for the engine oil level, not sure why it shows that it is so full, I got the oil change at a dealership and I checked before when it was on ground level that it is the right amount. Maybe the floor in my garage is in a slight slant.

Not sure where else to look. Was thinking of washing my bike to get rid of all the gas and see if there is a leak again.

There is way too much oil in that bike, the oil should be about half way up the sight glass and not fully covering it.

Are you sure the bike is level, not tilted toward the side of the sight glass ? if it is level something is wrong and here are my thoughts...

you could possibly have fuel in the engine, you ahve a faulty petcock, and or floats in the carbs that are not holding back the fuel, and it has allowed the fuel to go into the engine and caused the oil to rise.

if this is the case, empty out the oil and gas out of the bike, more or less as you would do an oil change, remove the drain plug let it empty into a clean container, if by chance my guess is wrong and no gas in the oil, you can reuse the oil and just pour it back into the bike, just make sure you put in the correct amount this time

as for tracking down a leak, if the above is not the case, clean area well, dry very well, and then sprinkle baby powder in the area, it will slow down the leak and can show you were it's originating from

just my thoughts.....

Back
Top Bottom