2010 Ninja 250 Leaking | GTAMotorcycle.com

2010 Ninja 250 Leaking

dhooooo

Hi everyone,

I bought my first bike last summer and I do not know much about bikes. I recently put my bike in storage in my garage in November 2014.

I filled up my gas and put gas stabilizer in it, put a battery tender on the bike, put the bike on the front and rear stands and I put a cover over it.

After two months of it sitting in my garage, I decided to take a look at it to see if anything was wrong.

I noticed a small stain under my bike and I noticed that it was very slowly leaking.

I am not sure if it is gas or engine oil or anything else.

I tried to search about winter storage for bikes and I see that some people suggested to clean out the carbs (drain it) if I do not plan to use the bike in a while. I have never done that and was wondering if I drain it, how do I get the gas back in? or if it necessary to drain at all.

Also, some people say to turn the petcock to off, I think my bike only has the PRI and ON option, which one do I use for storage and which one do I use for riding?

Any help is appreciated.

I have attached a few photos.

If anyone is free and is close by McCowan and Sheppard and is willing to take a look, please feel free to send me a PM.

Thank you!

[url=http://postimg.org/image/vhy0v7bq9/][/URL]

[url=http://postimg.org/image/m3dqza7ih/][/URL]

First, figure out if its gas, oil, or coolant.

I am speculating...

I have the same issue....did you drop the bike? It's on the clutch cover side...it's oil...

Looks like oil leaking from the airbox from being overfilled. The sight glass shouldn't be that high while on a stand. Open up the air box cover and have a look for oil inside, take off the right side black plastic cover and the cover behind it with 3 5mm allen bolts or #3 Phillips, can't remember.

Last edited:
I pumped it full before storing
If the excess fuel hose was broken, or somehow got disconnected from the tank, then instead of spotting at the ground only, it could also make the mess as in the pics O believe, but the excess fuel should clear up nicely in the first 24hrs or so.. based on my experiences on the Ninja 250.I used to have spottings on a regular basis in my driveway due to overfill.Did you by any chance move the bike or sit on it in the recent hours ? If not, then may be concluded that its not excess fuel, as mentioned before.On another note, the oil level looks above the proper level. I believe that you are supposed to see clearence at the very top of the oil window.

Hey I checked the excess fuel hose from where it is suppose to spit put the excess gas to the fuel tank and it seems fine, no signs of gas leaks on the hose.

I check the carbs and they both seem clean too. I also lifted the fuel tank and it was clean.

As for the engine oil level, not sure why it shows that it is so full, I got the oil change at a dealership and I checked before when it was on ground level that it is the right amount. Maybe the floor in my garage is in a slight slant.

Not sure where else to look. Was thinking of washing my bike to get rid of all the gas and see if there is a leak again.

If the excess fuel hose was broken, or somehow got disconnected from the tank, then instead of spotting at the ground only, it could also make the mess as in the pics O believe, but the excess fuel should clear up nicely in the first 24hrs or so.. based on my experiences on the Ninja 250.I used to have spottings on a regular basis in my driveway due to overfill.Did you by any chance move the bike or sit on it in the recent hours ? If not, then may be concluded that its not excess fuel, as mentioned before.On another note, the oil level looks above the proper level. I believe that you are supposed to see clearence at the very top of the oil window.

If its gas, just follow hoses from the source to see where it gets wet.

Smell the stuff on the ground. Most of the time you can tell if it's gas vs coolant or oil.

Hey I checked the excess fuel hose from where it is suppose to spit put the excess gas to the fuel tank and it seems fine, no signs of gas leaks on the hose.

There's three things that come to mind. I am not familiar with the specific arrangement on your bike, but sometimes the fuel overflow hose is hard to reconnect or gets knocked off easily at the tank. If you can lift the tank up it will be easy to check.

What I'm thinking though, specifically because it's a fuel tank, is that it's leaking from the point where the actual fuel line connects. You can have marginal fuel connections that leak only with a full tank - hose clamp isn't on right, fuel hose could be split, etc. It also could be leaking near or at the petcock.

Probably one of those three things

As for the engine oil level, not sure why it shows that it is so full, I got the oil change at a dealership and I checked before when it was on ground level that it is the right amount. Maybe the floor in my garage is in a slight slant.

Some bikes have a lot of oil that rests in the motor, and if they don't run for a well some of it may drip down and bring up the oil level. My ZX-11 did this too. Usually manufacturers will specify that you check the oil level with the engine warm, but not having been run for 10 minutes or so to get an accurate reading. You're probably fine

I just finished using brake cleaner to spray down the area where it was wet cause of the gas and i wiped everything down. I also took my bike off the stand to check the oil level and hopefully it is high because it is cold and not warm.

I will check if the leak occurs in a day or two.

Thanks everyone

I wouldn't use brake cleaner on paint. It's also an excellent paint remover. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever it is, it's coming from higher than anywhere shown in your pics, IMO.

I just check it is still leaking slowly. It didn't drip to the floor yet but here is a picture of it. I still cant find the source of the leak. Any suggestions?

Looks like it is coming where the phillips screw is

Thanks

Can you take another picture from farther away, and right-side up? The angles are giving me headaches

Regardless of which way is up (I thought it was the right way up). It doesn't look to me like it's coming from that screw. Looks wet below that and above that...

Hey I showed a mechanic from a bike shop and he said it is coming from the airbox too.. he said I have to clean it... any idea how to do that? I openned up the box but I cant see that it is overfilled. He said I need to remove carbs... Is that the only way to clean it? He wants to charge $110 to take a look...

Looks like oil leaking from the airbox from being overfilled. The sight glass shouldn't be that high while on a stand. Open up the air box cover and have a look for oil inside, take off the right side black plastic cover and the cover behind it with 3 5mm allen bolts or #3 Phillips, can't remember.

Back
Top Bottom