Marinas/Sailing | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Marinas/Sailing

Can we see some boat pics please? I'm interested in what everyone is running

Selling it in the spring, way too exciting to put children on and I'm not good enough/fat enough to single hand it.

(Obviously a representative pic, not actually me)

tornado016.jpg

Nothing fancy, and no sails lol. But still a great getaway for the family. Sleeps 6, so occasionally guests as well.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422314666.639273.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selling it in the spring, way too exciting to put children on and I'm not good enough/fat enough to single hand it.

(Obviously a representative pic, not actually me)

tornado016.jpg

Since that one is registered to a Spanish guy, congrats on your transatlantic crossing

Was it you that said a day's cruise costs $300-400? :eek:

Well, it's better than that, all depends on what you're doing. Mercruiser 5.7l v8 takes some fuel, but not too bad. I can actually have a great weekend including some travel, swimming and fishing for around $150. That's kitchen, bath, sleeping for 6 and entertainment for the weekend. I buy a seasonal pass for the Trent-Severn. All in all much cheaper than a cottage and if I don't like the neighbours I just pull up the anchor.
Longer trips pushing the speed gets more pricey. :D

What exactly does that mean, if you don't mind?

I buy a seasons pass that allows me unlimited use of the locks on the Trent Severn waterway. I can travel from lake Simcoe in Barrie to Georgian bay or east to Trenton and Lake Ontario. The pass itself is way cheaper than paying per trip if you intend to use it at all. I think a single trip in my boat is in the $20 range, or I can get the season for roughly $125-$150. (They price by the foot)

I race sailboats but I'm just a crew member so I don't have to worry about the costs lol I can find out details for you though just pm me

is there much doing in newport? 50pt seems to have all but folded for racing, I do Tues/thurs out of oakville, odd thurs in the bay out of RHYC and wednesday in PCYC.

This is our tuesday nite beater, (yeah i`m buried in the middle of the pack again)

Attachments

• Homecomers 2010 035a (2).jpg
    Homecomers 2010 035a (2).jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 20
is there much doing in newport? 50pt seems to have all but folded for racing, I do Tues/thurs out of oakville, odd thurs in the bay out of RHYC and wednesday in PCYC.

This is our tuesday nite beater, (yeah i`m buried in the middle of the pack again)
We race with 50pt. Usually around 12 boats in total not a bad turnout. Some are nicely matched so its close racing between a handful.

Hamilton has the same thing, they merged racing with BSBC to get a fleet out. They get 14-18 boats which is kind of sad given the number of boats tied up down there. We put about 35-40 out every Tues/Thurs in Bronte and the race committee get sour if they are getting bigger participation numbers. We have 12 sharks racing OD so thats good sport, and the usual PHRF dogs breakfast fleet.

I used to crew on the Wednesday night racing (or might have been Tuesdays) out of CBYC in Scarborough a few years back. Only really lasted a year as they wanted trained crew members and I was the newbie looking for experience.

If you liked it, and aren't a complete wanker, there are a lot of boats looking for warm bodies and will train new crew. Its a sport where there are not enough players to go around.
And you get it all, boats that expect olympic class sailors and a skipper that couldnt drive a wooden stake up an elephants arse. Boats that actually are full of rockstars and boats where almost everybody is trying to learn.
Every Yacht club has a crew bank either on line or a bulliten board at the clubhouse to match crew with boats. Personally I'd drop by the clubhouse and ask around (usually boats that are always looking for crew have a backstory on why they always need crew) .
Its been very good for me, I've been able to visit yacht clubs all over America and Europe and as experienced crew get rides on race nights and sails on practise days. Helps I can do foredeck on big boats.

What other sport where as a crew guy can you go to a weekend regatta event, get fed and accomodations (sleep in boat) and usually partied up on some schmoes 150K toy and your total investment is clean running shoes? And when you shred his $3000. spinakker he'll tell somebody to get the other one up since those nylon 12"x20" flags you win are priceless.......

Back
Top Bottom