Safety Certificate house calls? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Safety Certificate house calls?

OK from your posts one can draw certain info. This is your first bike you don't have confidence to even ride it t get it safetied. It needs work that you "think" you can do after watching some online videos. Now your considering having someone what could at best be described as a a half-assed safety. potentially without even seeing the bike. All these added together are likely to spell one thing... DISASTER... Get a proper safety done so at least you will know the bike your riding is up to snuff then your starting from a decent place while you build confidence.

When i go register the bike, Does the MTO have market value that they use for bike or do they just go off what you say?

When i go register the bike, Does the MTO have market value that they use for bike or do they just go off what you say?

They just calculate the tax based on what you tell them you paid

Do they ever check?i bought my bike for $3900... can i play off 2k without worry?

I sold a vehicle a couple of years ago. I got a letter requesting the info as to what price was paid by the buyer for the vehicle, (obviously they were checking into his declaration). I never responded to the request for information. But I would think as long as your in the ball park they won't check. they are likely to check if a person showed up with say 2014 ducati claiming he paid $1 for it..lol

Seller may get a letter requesting selling price info. If they ignore the letter, another will be sent. If they ignore the 2nd, the letters stop anyways.

If the seller left that space blank and it was filled in when you went to the MTO then that would solve problems like these.

If the seller left that space blank and it was filled in when you went to the MTO then that would solve problems like these.

That's how I roll. I always leave that part blank. And if the ministry doesn't have a value written in the package, you're laughing.

Just a friendly suggestion, but some of you could be opening yourself up for a liable law suit.
I know said person is an easy going guy but remember you are messing with a man's income/business.

If anyone is truly stupid enough to ride a motorcycle without looking it over first and using a shop they researched then you can only fault yourself.

True story- went with someone to checkout a bike. I said don't ride this bike until the rear brake is fixed and some of the fluid is removed (filled to the top).
It can overheat and cause a lockup throwing you from the bike.

It was a new rider...yep they went riding around anyways (without repairing) after it was made 100% clear don't do it until fixed.

People have the power of the internet.
How hard is it to google what to look for when buying a used motorcycle.

Just a friendly suggestion, but some of you could be opening yourself up for a liable law suit.
I know said person is an easy going guy but remember you are messing with a man's income/business.

If anyone is truly stupid enough to ride a motorcycle without looking it over first and using a shop they researched then you can only fault yourself.

True story- went with someone to checkout a bike. I said don't ride this bike until the rear brake is fixed and some of the fluid is removed (filled to the top).
It can overheat and cause a lockup throwing you from the bike.

It was a new rider...yep they went riding around anyways (without repairing) after it was made 100% clear don't do it until fixed.

People have the power of the internet.
How hard is it to google what to look for when buying a used motorcycle.

Pfft, you type too much... Didn't you know? All that matters when buying a used motorcycle is how many kms it has.

True enough....LOL

but if the OP is not taking it to Rosey Toes, he could have a problem.......

it's how they say,,,,it's not what you know but who you know.....there are places that will do a cert sight unseen......so I have heard.... :rolleyes:

Rosey Toes will always inspect the bike throughly before giving you the safety paper. And he will join in passionately when you complain that the tires are bald because those lazy Canada Post bastards did not deliver your new tires yet. He will swear and laugh and everyone will have a good time. :)

There are tons of things that could be wrong and unsafe with a bike that passes safety, even if it's done fully by the book. The safety is just a (mostly) meaningless piece of paper required by the Ministry. Actually taking care of the bike's mechanics is another thing entirely.

Its my first bike, and it needs a new chain, sprockets and rear tire. which is why i cant move it currently. i have ordered the sprocket, chain and rear tire... i can do all the changes myself, but i don't feel confident riding around yet.

How is a bike that needs a "new chain, sprockets and rear time" going to pass a safety test anyway?

Fix up the bike, wait until its warmer and take it in to a local shop? Technically you don't have to safety it right away. My last bike needed some work - I transferred ownership to myself and then registered it/got plates when it was all fixed up 5 months later.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by GateKeeper
True enough....LOL

but if the OP is not taking it to Rosey Toes, he could have a problem.......

it's how they say,,,,it's not what you know but who you know.....there are places that will do a cert sight unseen......so I have heard.... :rolleyes:

Rosey Toes will always inspect the bike throughly before giving you the safety paper. And he will join in passionately when you complain that the tires are bald because those lazy Canada Post bastards did not deliver your new tires yet. He will swear and laugh and everyone will have a good time. :)

There are tons of things that could be wrong and unsafe with a bike that passes safety, even if it's done fully by the book. The safety is just a (mostly) meaningless piece of paper required by the Ministry. Actually taking care of the bike's mechanics is another thing entirely.

My comment about places that will do a cert sight unseen, was not directed at Rosey Toes, just to be clear.....and how they do business, I have no clue, have never been there....

But if a safety is done by the book, I would hope there are not a ton of things left that could be wrong and unsafe with the bike (vehicle) if it's done, then it should be safe, after all it's a safety cert, heck to get a safety cert, at least on a car the engine does not even need to run, or so it was like that in the past........but rotten floor boards with holes, or doors with holes would fail you....

Back
Top Bottom