Insurance and Vehicle Registration | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance and Vehicle Registration

trebororr

Site Supporter
Two days ago visited a Service Ontario location to pay for vehicle registration (yearly renewal). Currently have 2 motorcycles and 3 cars all insured with TD Meloche Monnex. Could not renew registration for my 2005 Mazda RX-8 according to clerk as vehicle is supposed to have liability insurance coverage not fire and theft only. Each winter for the past 10 winters the car has been in storage with the reduction in insurance coverage. The previous 9 years (winters) as my birthday is in January I have not had any problem renewing RX-8 registration. Insurance company representative states that this must be an MTO requirement as it is not a requirement on their part and this was the first time that this had been brought to his attention.

According to the Service Ontario agent, liability insurance has to be on the vehicle that you want to re-register for at least four days in order for the transaction to be performed. TD will add coverage to policy for 1 day without charging me anything for the upgrade but not four; if I do this I will be charged for 4 days of coverage not 3 minus the one free day. Has anyone had an experience with this situation or similar or knows what happened? Is this a policy change with vehicle insurance and registration or have I been lucky the previous 9 years.

Try and do it online and see what happens ? The less I have to deal with the dimwits behind the counter the better..

I know this does not answer your question, but it might be a work around....

I first tried online when the Service Ontario system would not allow the transaction to be completed I went to a physical center.

Try a different location.

Insurance is now linked to MTO sticker cannot be renewed without valid liability insurance. This has always been the law but they had no way to enforce it before. Put the sticker on when you are ready to drive it in the spring.

Insurance is now linked to MTO sticker cannot be renewed without valid liability insurance. This has always been the law but they had no way to enforce it before. Put the sticker on when you are ready to drive it in the spring.

That's what I suspected; wish the insurance agent had been able to answer my question. Thanks for the information.

MTO no longer gives plate stickers on vehicles that only have Comprehensive coverage only. Once you reinstate coverage on the vehicle you can get the sticker. Makes sense, why would you need a sticker if you're not driving the car.

MTO no longer gives plate stickers on vehicles that only have Comprehensive coverage only. Once you reinstate coverage on the vehicle you can get the sticker. Makes sense, why would you need a sticker if you're not driving the car.

So when he goes to get the sticker in the spring, will they charge him for the months-to-be-used (to match liability insurance coverage) or the full year?

I've got the same question, do they charge me for a full years worth of a sticker or give me a break on the months I didn't use it?...

You pay for the full year, no break. If it's a commercial registration then you pay for months used.

It's a nuisance for me because I have other vehicles that required registration; would be more convenient to do everything at the same time rather then having to repeat activity in spring.

Not that I am going to drive the car anytime this winter but because (now) I don't have valid registration what if there is a really nice day this winter I can't simply add insurance coverage (and drive for that day).

Just call MMI to add insurance on your car, get the sticker, and take insurance off, if you had done that before getting the stickers you would be good to go.

You can blame you’re inconvenience to all the people that are driving without insurance.
This is another method implemented to force those people to get insurance, as the sticker will not be given unless proof of insurance has been established

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom