Q; Loader/ramp/winch to load m/c onto pickup truck bed | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Q; Loader/ramp/winch to load m/c onto pickup truck bed

I guess I'm just stronger than the average man than as I've been doing it that way since the ripe old age of 13. It was also being pushed up the ramp not from a level surface where you just step into the back of the truck like in that picture.

Use your ramp thing all you want, I just said I personally wouldn't use one. My bikes took too long to build and insurance can't just give me a new one.

The OP wants to load a bike and judging by his avatar of a big V-twin motor it's probably a Harley which will be too heavy for the hitch style carrier.

I agree, the goldwing went on the trailer. Lol
The carrier I made is a little different but I got the idea from versa haul, just build a second receiver into the carrier.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422207037.974020.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just race bikes which most people don't insure.

Riiiight. Totally forgot about that aspect. I don't race, so the concept of not insuring gives me nightmare of condo thieves.. My friend just had his 2nd or 3rd bike stolen from a garage this summer.. I can't believe he even bothers with bikes anymore..

Does that Versa Haul have a wiring harness and signal lights? The tail lights on that van look like they're completely blocked by the bike. What's the manufacturers listed tongue weight for that van? I'm guessing 500 lbs max, if that.

I like the idea of the Versa Haul but people considering it have to be aware of their stated vehicle limits. Exceeding vehicle limits is a recipe for disaster, and I suspect it's grounds for insurance to deny a claim. Obscuring tail lights is just asking for trouble. I realize people have used these for many, many miles without issue, but it only takes one accident to test the limits of your insurance.

Does that Versa Haul have a wiring harness and signal lights? The tail lights on that van look like they're completely blocked by the bike. What's the manufacturers listed tongue weight for that van? I'm guessing 500 lbs max, if that.

I like the idea of the Versa Haul but people considering it have to be aware of their stated vehicle limits. Exceeding vehicle limits is a recipe for disaster, and I suspect it's grounds for insurance to deny a claim. Obscuring tail lights is just asking for trouble. I realize people have used these for many, many miles without issue, but it only takes one accident to test the limits of your insurance.

I specifically asked insurance about what would happen if I exceeded the tow specs for my vehicle. They said that assuming the claim was a result of exceeding the specs, they would deny any claims of damage to my property but anything else would be covered. Makes sense since the damage would likely be from your own negligence.

I specifically asked insurance about what would happen if I exceeded the tow specs for my vehicle. They said that assuming the claim was a result of exceeding the specs, they would deny any claims of damage to my property but anything else would be covered. Makes sense since the damage would likely be from your own negligence.
That makes sense ... up to a point. With the "no fault" insurance, each insured gets their vehicle fixed under their own policy, but what happens if you hit someone without insurance, say a pedestrian, and they sue you? Will your insurance company deny coverage, claiming you couldn't stop or avoid the incident due to exceeding vehicle limits?

That makes sense ... up to a point. With the "no fault" insurance, each insured gets their vehicle fixed under their own policy, but what happens if you hit someone without insurance, say a pedestrian, and they sue you? Will your insurance company deny coverage, claiming you couldn't stop or avoid the incident due to exceeding vehicle limits?
Yes they would. It was only my property damage they wouldn't cover. Everything else that would normally be covered was still covered.

The situation you described is exactly why I was asking. A couple dozen grand in damages is not much of a concern to me but getting sued for a million does.

Hi - I have a 760lb Harley... I have access to a trailer, and with an upgrade to my ramps, I can alternatively load my bike into my truck. I was hoping to find the local dealer of those mechanical truck loading gizmos - they may be pricey, but convenience/safety/TCO may lead me towards acquiring one. Are there any local dealers of those gizmos? Anybody ever order one from the US? How much?
BTW, I'd suggest exceeding the weight limits of a hitch-hauler and/or the tongue weight limits of your vehicle and hitch would be more than just negligence.

Last edited:
Just get a bigger vehicle so you can use a hitch hauler. They're the bestest :)

Sorry I've got no other info and haven't seen anyone with it either.

I brought a V Strom home with a hitch hauler on my Blazer and made it, but it is not something I would repeat. Under 500 lb., no problem.

Not wanting to boast, but when I picked up my bike, I went to Rosey Toes to get a ramp, hauled that plank of wood in a Zipcar Nissan Frontier, pushed my bike up along it and did it miraculously alone. I returned the stupid plank, got back home, found a nearby hill, rolled it off the rear door onto a level surface, and rolled it back home. Was lucky to get two pairs of padded ratchet ties for $20 at Canadian Tire to keep the bike from sloshing around in the back.

No insurance worries here, just ingenious effort.

So to answer your question, a wooden plank. $50 at home depot, probably cheaper at the lumber yard?

Back
Top Bottom