Q; Loader/ramp/winch to load m/c onto pickup truck bed | GTAMotorcycle.com

Q; Loader/ramp/winch to load m/c onto pickup truck bed

FLSTC

At the recent Supershow, I recall a vendor in Hall 1 that had a loading ramp mechanism - they had a Ford Ranger onsite with the loader-ramp in the bed as a demo.

Does anyone know the name/contact detail of these guys? Were they a local distributor of the Rampage Lift?

I want to do some cost models for various options, i.e. self-load, winch-loader, trailer, etc.

I use a mototote if its just one bike. The trailer if its more.. The automated kind were not widely available (or cheap) several years ago. So I stuck with it.. It's worth a look if you are not moving more than 1 bike often.

http://www.mototote.com/MotoTote-MTX-Sport-Motorcycle-Carrier.html

jenningspersonalpics009.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Wish I could put one of those on either of my vehicles. Considering trying it on the Outlander even though it would still be quite over the max tongue weight. My bike is pretty light.

I saw a neat one on eBay that only held the front wheel. You push your bikes front wheel into the chock, lock it in, then a Jack handle lifts it off the ground. The bikes rear wheel trails behind and stays on the ground. There was an eBay sale for $99 us plus shipping so less than $200 all in. It could pull any bike I think.

Wish I could put one of those on either of my vehicles. Considering trying it on the Outlander even though it would still be quite over the max tongue weight. My bike is pretty light.

How light is your bike?

I have a 250 2T dirt bike and I wouldn't put it on the back of my van. The hitch rates 300lbs tongue.

Its amazing how complicated people make loading a bike into a truck.

I also wouldnt use a hitch style loader on any of my bikes even though my truck could easly handle the tounge weight.

Last edited:
Its amazing how complicated people make loading a bike into a truck.

I also wouldnt use a hitch style loader on any of my bikes even though my truck could easly handle the tounge weight.

I saw one on kijiji near me for cheap one time so I grabbed it. I never did use it even for just my MX bike...just doesn't seem safe. A strap breaks and the bike is bye bye

I bought the cheapo from PA, it's five years old and has carried : numerous mx bikes, ninja 250, ninja 500, drz400, klr 650, gsxr600, intruder 800 and a few others. Some of those I was a little worried as the rack itself is only rated for 500lbs. It has done the job. This summer I built my own that carries one bike and has a hitch receiver so I can still pull a trailer with it. Works really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the cheapo from PA, it's five years old and has carried : numerous mx bikes, ninja 250, ninja 500, drz400, klr 650, gsxr600, intruder 800 and a few others. Some of those I was a little worried as the rack itself is only rated for 500lbs. It has done the job. This summer I built my own that carries one bike and has a hitch receiver so I can still pull a trailer with it. Works really well.

Would like to see a picture of the one you built, if you could please.

I've used mine enough to know people who worry.. haven't tried it yet.

I have a trailer too for when I need to take anywhere from 2 to 4 bikes. If I am using just 1 bike, I don't need a trailer. I've done more than 1000km one way with the bike on the hitch. No wear, no nothing. I don't worry about ******** like that anymore. I have insurance. If there is a accident, I am fine, but its never happened. Nothing has, except me getting my bike to where I wanted to go. Cheap too. One time of paying some dude $400 and it was mine. Used it enough times, glad I didn't have to pay someone for something I could do and easily did myself. What a waste of $$ that would be..

I'd love to see the custom as well Iceman..

I don't worry, I would never use one. That's why I have a truck, I can use my $100 ramp or a $15 plank of wood with a $10 bent metal edge instead.

I thought this theread was going to go on about how to load a bike with some fancy gizmos.

Simple yet effective.

I use a single Versahaul rack. All hauling vehicles have had airbags added to the rear suspension. No issues with thousands of miles. Double strap the bike if you feel your cheap *** straps will break!

I don't worry, I would never use one. That's why I have a truck, I can use my $100 ramp or a $15 plank of wood with a $10 bent metal edge instead.

I thought this theread was going to go on about how to load a bike with some fancy gizmos.

Simple yet effective.
That is my preferred method, however for many years I had a cap and a truck full to the brim with tools and work stuff. It was too much of a pain to gut it all for a bike. Hence the rack. My truck is empty these days and the cap is in the backyard..
I'll get some pics as soon as I can, the rack is at my brothers shop, because he borrowed it and never returns anything.

The OP asked for options and prices on various types of systems. A hitch system is a viable and amazing option. Its cheap ($400ish), it fullfills its use regardless of peoples irrational fears. Search the internet for a failure of this system. If you abide by tolerances you will come out on top. I have NEVER heard of or seen a failure. No naysayers have ever provided a failure for reference. So although you would never use one (hitch style carrier), many many people do, especially in the US, not just for bikes either, for a plethora of things.

2m43xqp.jpg

mototote1.jpg~original

Single ramp (I've done this.. but I wouldn't recommend it)

maxresdefault.jpg

Versahauler

d_1148.jpg

You wouldn't reccomend a single ramp into a truck? Sheesh and here I've been doing it wrong for all these years :)

I'm not worried about a failure, I would just never use one. What do you do if your wanting to load an 800lb Harley? Like F I would even dream of putting it on that thing.

OP you can buy a bigger snowmobile ramp that's essentially three ramps bolted together on hinges and drive it up. Or the safest easiest way is on a small utility trailer. There is a hydraulic loader system out there that basically puts a platform on the ground and then hydraulically lifts the platform into the truck bed. I've never personally seen one in action or know of anyone that's put out the money to have one installed.

http://www.motorcycleloader.co/2.html

You wouldn't reccomend a single ramp into a truck? Sheesh and here I've been doing it wrong for all these years :)

Not in the precarious position the man in that picture (i posted) is loading it. If you don't have a lot of upper body strength you could EASILY drop the bike. Who would want that to happen..There are many ways.. I have NOTHING against any of them.. unlike you. SHEEEEEEEEEEEESH yourself! :agave:

If I was loading an 800lb Harley I would use my trailer, or a extra wide ramp. Its nice to have multiple avenues for a multitude of things. Why own just one..

Last edited:
Forgot to add, my dodge diesel is the work/play horse for all my friends. I've regularly had 1 atv in the bed of my truck, with 4 on a trailer. That's why I built the bike rack with a hitch combo. All my buddies buy atvs and dirtbike, then look at their Prius, then call me every time. I've gone to Montreal, Sudbury, Sault Ste Marie, Windsor, and once to Chicago... All to pick up toys my friends/family have bought.

Back
Top Bottom