What's a good/cheap unlimited internet option? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's a good/cheap unlimited internet option?

regder

Site Supporter
Currently with Rogers, but regularly bumping up against my 300gb cap so looking for options. Want 30mbps minimum download, 50mbps preferred and unlimited bandwidth, would like to keep the bill under $70 after tax. Most of the third party guys I've investigated appear to have terrible reviews, would rather pay more for service I don't need to worry about.

Any good alternatives out there?

teksavvy just bumped me up from 300Gb to 400GB for free and without me asking. This is the third or fourth time they have increased service or reduced price without prompting. You can check their website to see if they do fast internet in your postal code.

teksavvy just bumped me up from 300Gb to 400GB for free and without me asking. This is the third or fourth time they have increased service or reduced price without prompting. You can check their website to see if they do fast internet in your postal code.

For free?

I received an email from them notifying me of the bump to 400gb, but it also comes with a small price hike.

Hello XXXXXXX,

We are writing to inform you about changes to your Internet access service. Starting with your first billing cycle following February 15, 2015, your current package of 25/2Mbps with 300 GB of usage at $41.95 will become 25/2Mbps with 400 GB of usage at $46.95.

We would like to tell you why.

As you know, TekSavvy delivers the local portion of your Internet access over a third-party incumbent’s platform. The wholesale price we pay for that local access is regulated at rates set by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commissions (CRTC). The rates reflect two parts: access line charges, and aggregate bandwidth charges.

The aggregate bandwidth charges are known as “Capacity Based Billing” or CBB. Put simply, CBB rates are too high. They were too high when they were set years ago. And while bandwidth usage has skyrocketed, there have been no substantial changes to those regulated rates. As a result, what we pay for the use of the local part of the network has increased drastically.

We continue to fight to bring down those costs so that we can minimize their impact on consumers. But at this point, there have not been any significant changes to those CBB prices, and so TekSavvy must adjust its rates and Internet packages. This way we can ensure that we can maintain the level of service you have come to expect from us, and to continue to be competitive in the marketplace.

No action is required on your part. TekSavvy will automatically make the updates to your account.
Our prepaid service does not lock you into a contract, so you can always visit http://myaccount.teksavvy.com to make changes to your services or call us to cancel. Formally, this means that you can refuse this rate increase without cost, penalty, or cancellation indemnity, by calling in to that effect no later than 30 days from this notice, which has informed you that: the change is in force; and that the resulting rate changes will affect billing cycles starting from February 15, 2015.

If you are considering changes, please see our list of packages at http://www.teksavvy.com.

If you have any questions about these changes or the options that you have, please feel free to give us a call at 1.877.779.1575 or visit http://myaccount.teksavvy.com so we can discuss them with you.

Thank you for your continued support and understanding.

Currently with Rogers, but regularly bumping up against my 300gb cap so looking for options. Want 30mbps minimum download, 50mbps preferred and unlimited bandwidth, would like to keep the bill under $70 after tax. Most of the third party guys I've investigated appear to have terrible reviews, would rather pay more for service I don't need to worry about.

Any good alternatives out there?

Teksavvy wants $69 for 60mbps/400gb service in my area. Some areas have a 55mbit service too. For unlimited, they want $95/month.

Keep in mind two things: between 2am and 8am, the bandwidth is unmonitored; during all other hours, only downstream traffic counts against your limit.

For free?

I received an email from them notifying me of the bump to 400gb, but it also comes with a small price hike.

We are writing to inform you about changes to your Internet access service. Starting with your first billing cycle following February 15, 2015, your current package for xxx of 6/0.800Mbps with 300 GB of usage at $32.99 will become 6/0.800Mbps with 400 GB of usage at $32.99.

Teksavvy, VMedia, Acanac, Start Communications, etc.

They all resell the same bell/rogers line so go with whoever is cheapest.

I understand they resell Bell/Rogers, but if you have a service or billing issue, you have to call whoever you bought your service from and hope that they get it fixed. Many moons ago, I switched DSL from Bell to Teksavvy and had absolutely terrible speeds on Teksavvy. They never did fix it, and I switched to Rogers. Look up some reviews of Acanac, doesn't seem like a good company to get involved with.

That was so long ago, I'm willing to give them another shot. The following are the best options I've found so far

Vmedia 50mbps DSL, unlimited - $68+tax (includes dry loop fee), $100 install
Start 50mbps DSL, unlimited - $70+tax (no mention of dry loop fee), $50 install
Teksavvy 60mbps cable, 400gb cap (unlim at night) - $70, $65 install

Dsl is ****. Teksavvy cable is stellar. 4 year customer here.

How much are you paying for Rogers ?

Did you consider paying $10 more to make your current package unlimited? You can also downgrade on speed, while upgrading to unlimited on a lower package, which should be cheaper than your current one.

Rogers began advertising an unlimited internet offer this week that matches one announced by Bell in January. Both companies are offering the option for:

$10 on top of the usual monthly internet fee to customers who bundle together three of their services – such as home phone, TV and internet.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/unlimited-internet-offers-return-to-bell-rogers-1.1387141

Dsl is ****. Teksavvy cable is stellar. 4 year customer here.

Previously had Bell Fibe which these companies are reselling, didn't have any issues.

How much are you paying for Rogers ?

Did you consider paying $10 more to make your current package unlimited? You can also downgrade on speed, while upgrading to unlimited on a lower package, which should be cheaper than your current one.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/unlimited-internet-offers-return-to-bell-rogers-1.1387141

Currently $45 for 30mbps. Don't think that $10 option exists anymore.

Previously had Bell Fibe which these companies are reselling, didn't have any issues.

Currently $45 for 30mbps. Don't think that $10 option exists anymore.

They may not have it necessarily for $10 if you dont have the bundle, but maybe for $25 as their web suggests, either way it will be unlimited under $70.

When you go ahead and call to quit they will probably attempt to give you a good offer. Be honest, if you simply are quiting because of the high price and bandwidth let them know that. See what they can do to offer you unlimited. And if they do end up offering you something you want, always make sure nothing is under contract and that you can simply leave at any time. I have been able to get a pretty good deal from them by doing so.

I've been very happy with Start.ca, I had some issues for awhile with the line and their customer service is great -- they are in London, On, not New Delhi. They also managed to solve the issue by sending a Rogers Tech to check the lines and discovered I had an incompatible splitter.

They have 60mbps down, 10 up, 300gb cap for $65. Like Teksavvy they don't count the upload data and they don't count from 2am until 8am... but if that still doesn't work for you it is $15 extra to make it unlimited. Free install if you are coming from Rogers too.

There are a lot of options out there especially in the GTA. http://yolonet.ca/ is one example.

30/5 Unlimited for $54.99/mth on their website, but on their facebook page they were offering $40/mth special. A number of family friends are with them, and haven't had any issues.

Teksavvy here.

They have an option called zap the cap.

They throttle you between 8pm to midnight. For that you get unlimited ALL THE TIME.
If i didnt have it well.. it would still be 400gb outside of 2am to 8am.

But with zap the cap i havent seen any difference.

I got an increase in bandwidth for a buck extra. I have the smallest package

Back
Top Bottom