Resurfacing old rotor? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Resurfacing old rotor?

JohnnyP636

Site Supporter
I have a little problem I need to use a 93-01 ZX11D rear rotor on my setup, since the bike is so old I can not find a used one in great condition. The best I could find has some grooving in it, there it one spot that bothers me the most its only about 1mm wide and 1mm high. Id like to take that raised part down so the pad mating surface is even, so does anyone know anyone that offers that service in the GTA for motorcycle rotors? Or should I just give it to my lathe guy and have him turn it down?

What is this for? I have a rotor attached to a ZX-11 that I'm not currently using

What is this for? I have a rotor attached to a ZX-11 that I'm not currently using

I use it on a stunt bike, a ZX6R that uses the exact same bolt pattern as the 93-01 ZX11D. It must be from the D model though

Normally I buy aftermarket replacements from Galfer (DF186W), but they do not perform as good as the OEM rotor.

If anyone has one in good condition for sale Id be a buyer for sure, the one I got is from Ebay so from the pics and description to what I actually get is not 100% accurate and its a gamble

How about a quality (expensive) 'made in china' rotor?

I wouldn't buy one. There's a few reputable rotor manufacturers that have reasonable prices.

As long as there's enough meat on the rotor they can resurface it.

Complete waste of money

Even brand name aftermarket rotors that I have used are not as good as OEM. The Galfer I used is $160 and it isn't as good as the OEM. That is why I want to get an OEM one on the bike, I already have aftermarket ones and I've cooked them

For now I'm sending the used one out to truedisk
And I will keep looking for more good condition used ones

Complete waste of money

Even brand name aftermarket rotors that I have used are not as good as OEM. The Galfer I used is $160 and it isn't as good as the OEM. That is why I want to get an OEM one on the bike, I already have aftermarket ones and I've cooked them

For now I'm sending the used one out to truedisk
And I will keep looking for more good condition used ones
I have "braking" rotors, they seem pretty good. Not much wear after 3 yrs

I love them because when riding in the rain, they displace water almost immediately when the brakes are applied

I have "braking" rotors, they seem pretty good. Not much wear after 3 yrs

I love them because when riding in the rain, they displace water almost immediately when the brakes are applied

If it was a street or track bike an aftermarket rotor might be good, but its a stunt bike were the brake gets dragged and really beat on. I have cooked a few aftermarket rotors and a few OEM in my days, and OEM takes more of a beating then any aftermarket Ive tried so far. And I have had big brand names like Galfer, Braking, and some lesser brands like Star......

I feel dumb for suggesting this, because Johnny probably knows more about brakes than anyone else in the forum, but have you tried an EBC rotor? They're pretty close to OEM for rears

I feel dumb for suggesting this, because Johnny probably knows more about brakes than anyone else in the forum, but have you tried an EBC rotor? They're pretty close to OEM for rears

Even if they do I would still prefer an OEM rotor over one. They do make one it looks like but its $157 US plus shipping and tax thats over $200 that I am most likely going to roast like all the others Ive used

Its hard to make people believe that OEM is better then big brand name aftermarket stuff, as in most cases aftermarket is better, but in this case its the opposite

Even if they do I would still prefer an OEM rotor over one. They do make one it looks like but its $157 US plus shipping and tax thats over $200 that I am most likely going to roast like all the others Ive used

Its hard to make people believe that OEM is better then big brand name aftermarket stuff, as in most cases aftermarket is better, but in this case its the opposite

Okay, I can understand that. I could swear I picked up my last one for <$100 but I am probably misremembering things

Okay, I can understand that. I could swear I picked up my last one for <$100 but I am probably misremembering things

When was that? I used to get these kinds of rotors for $120 but the price has gone up alot, I dont know if its the US vs Canadian dollar or what but they are now $160-180.

Another difference could be the size, most mordern sport bikes between 600-1000cc use a 220mm rotor, these are a bit larger at 250mm, and they are also thicker

When was that? I used to get these kinds of rotors for $120 but the price has gone up alot, I dont know if its the US vs Canadian dollar or what but they are now $160-180.

Another difference could be the size, most mordern sport bikes between 600-1000cc use a 220mm rotor, these are a bit larger at 250mm, and they are also thicker

It was a while ago. Cheapest for me usually alternates between Amazon US or Powersport Superstore for EBC stuff. Amazon US is sorta cheap right now, if you got it via CBI. http://amzn.com/B006B25KM4

Back
Top Bottom