Mid 2000's 2 stroke prices | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mid 2000's 2 stroke prices

estone

Site Supporter
Been trawling Kijj' hard for mid 2000's 2 strokes (250's and 125's). Prices I've found generally net out to $2,500+ for bikes, regardless if it's a 2000 or a 2005.

Seems a bit high to me. We're talking about 10-15 year old bikes here! Am I missing something? Is it just hockey stick graph pricing where the average lowest price is predominantly north of $2K?

Help a brother out buying a beast from his youth to relive his teens with.

Yup! $2000+ is where the prices stay for a running bike, but after that you need to take a hard look. Just because one bike is asking $2500 and another $2000, doesnt meant that $500 is buying you a better bike. Most bikes Ive seen are a 50/50 shot at being mint vs clapped out and the owners all ask the same price.

I bought my Honda 2001 CR250R back in 2007 and I paid $2200 with a fresh top end in it (but no ownership, but I sorted that out on my own)

You are looking at 10-15 year old bikes, age doesn't make a difference at that point, it is all condition. I am not surprised that the minimum price is over $2000 for running bikes. They aren't making many new ones to replace the older ones (and the ones they do make are damned expensive).

EDIT:
Are we talking street or dirt here?

Last edited:
Depending on your budget you may want to consider a new bike.

I just bought a 2014 YZ125 for my son. He's moving up from a KX85. I managed to get it out the door for a few $ under 6k. I thought it was a good deal considering the 4T 250 was $2500 more.

People are really starting to realize how expensive a 4t mx bike is to own, so we're seeing a resurgence in 2t popularity. Check out the prices on newer 4t, people are selling to buy 2t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeahh 2k + is fair. Its all about condition.
The occasional deal will always come up though.
Last winter I bought a 2007 cr125 for $2000 all done up. It came with lots of spare parts as well.
it all depends on condition

I'm always on the lookout. To be honest I think some people are crazy with their asking prices. I get that there is more demand for them now... But I occasionally see some overpriced bikes for sale for well over 6 months with an occasional $100 price drop. It's a joke really.

Keep your eyes peeled because like anything, there are deals to be had. I scooped an 04 rm250 at the seasons end that still had the original grips/graphics and tires on it for $1500. Looks like it was barely ridden. A friend as well got an 02 cr125 for $1500 that had receipts for a brand new top and bottom end, again in just great shape.

I see clapped out 2 strokes all over kijiji and some people ask up to 3-3500... I seriously hope people aren't paying anywhere near those prices!

Keep looking and "Low Balling" Someone will eventually agree on a reasonable price for these older bikes.

It's pretty much the same with cars. When I went on a quest to buy a cheap, yet in semi decent condition, car that might last only a couple of years I was still looking at $2500-3000. Doesn't matter how old it is or the mileage. And those are still going to have a pile of problems. Gotta get up to about $5k for something actually decent. It also depends how concerned you are with stuff being broken, too. Some people will happily drive a car that is falling apart around them.

I'm always on the lookout. To be honest I think some people are crazy with their asking prices. I get that there is more demand for them now... But I occasionally see some overpriced bikes for sale for well over 6 months with an occasional $100 price drop. It's a joke really.

Keep your eyes peeled because like anything, there are deals to be had. I scooped an 04 rm250 at the seasons end that still had the original grips/graphics and tires on it for $1500. Looks like it was barely ridden. A friend as well got an 02 cr125 for $1500 that had receipts for a brand new top and bottom end, again in just great shape.

I see clapped out 2 strokes all over kijiji and some people ask up to 3-3500... I seriously hope people aren't paying anywhere near those prices!

Keep looking and "Low Balling" Someone will eventually agree on a reasonable price for these older bikes.

Thanks for the feedback guys. If any purchases are going to be made they'll be in the fall. So I'll be looking at Kijiji pretty hard come Sept-Oct. I'd love to be one of those people who finds that '04 bike for $1500. If it needs a little elbow grease I don't care, I have the space and will to fix it up a little.

Thanks for the feedback guys. If any purchases are going to be made they'll be in the fall. So I'll be looking at Kijiji pretty hard come Sept-Oct. I'd love to be one of those people who finds that '04 bike for $1500. If it needs a little elbow grease I don't care, I have the space and will to fix it up a little.

Even if the asking price is over $2000 you can often talk them down. Three of my buddies got back into the sport last year. All three bought used two strokes in September. Each bike was advertised between $2100-2500. The three bikes involved were two 2001 yz250r, and a 2002 cr250r. All were running and in decent shape. They were purchased from $1500-1650!!!!!

The one yz needed fresh fuel mix(it had sat for awhile)and a spark plug, my buddy put in 15 hours of great riding before the snow fell. The other two were used for a couple successful trips to burnt river before the cold.

Gotta be dilligent when searching used, but plenty of deals. I'm considering selling my 450 for a used two stroke. Cheers :)

People are really starting to realize how expensive a 4t mx bike is to own, so we're seeing a resurgence in 2t popularity. Check out the prices on newer 4t, people are selling to buy 2t.

A few months ago I read in a trade mag that 30% of 2014 Yamaha MX Competition sales in North America were 2T YZ's and sales have been climbing YOY while the 4 stroke sales are dropping slightly. That's a pretty good sized market.

I wonder if you will see Kawi and Suzuki re entering the market, or is it just to expensive for them to maintain a second line in North America.

I always heard 4t was much less than 2t. What makes the 4 more expensive?

I always heard 4t was much less than 2t. What makes the 4 more expensive?

Quite simple really, a lot more moving parts in a 4t. Modern high performance 4t are $ to maintain, modern 4t trail bikes, not so much.
It's at engine rebuild time that cost comes into play, not so much day to day use.

Oh ok. Whenever 2 strokes come up in the general discussion people seem to always have complaints about seizing, not starting, cost of rebuild, fouled plugs, etc and how we should stop "romanticizing the old days of 2 strokes and realize how bad it was to be stuck with them" (forget who said that in some thread awhile ago). It was the one thing that made me worried about getting one. So far it's been pretty reliable except for my battery dying after I left it out all winter (plus it was 4 years old) and I have an occasional strange high idle issue that is apparently quite normal for this bike from what I've heard from other owners.

Oh ok. Whenever 2 strokes come up in the general discussion people seem to always have complaints about seizing, not starting, cost of rebuild, fouled plugs, etc and how we should stop "romanticizing the old days of 2 strokes and realize how bad it was to be stuck with them" (forget who said that in some thread awhile ago). It was the one thing that made me worried about getting one. So far it's been pretty reliable except for my battery dying after I left it out all winter (plus it was 4 years old) and I have an occasional strange high idle issue that is apparently quite normal for this bike from what I've heard from other owners.

Maybe back in 1970 but "modern" 2 strokes are very reliable and are waaaaay cheaper to maintain than a hi-po 4stroker.

2 smokes are the best. Now all we need is the mfg's to come out with clean DI 2 strokes and we'd be set.

I'm in the market for a 2 smoke. But it's slim pickings on the used market. Especially if you want something that has been maintained.

Maybe back in 1970 but "modern" 2 strokes are very reliable and are waaaaay cheaper to maintain than a hi-po 4stroker.

2 smokes are the best. Now all we need is the mfg's to come out with clean DI 2 strokes and we'd be set.

+1 I'm with you on that. :)

Back
Top Bottom