Accessible parking permit | GTAMotorcycle.com

Accessible parking permit

sunny_pines

Anyone has any experience getting one for a bike? Service Ontario does mention getting a motorcycle decal ( https://www.ontario.ca/Accessible parking permit ), but I'm curious how long that would take. Currently I commute to work on my bike, and after a snowboarding accident I have a broken bone in my foot. I can walk/hop but it's painful, parking closer to the entrances would definitely help.

Has anyone had any experience leaving a bike with a decal like that in an accessible spot? Do parking officers even take it seriously or would they give me a ticket anyway?

I think some tried to get one a while back and failed.
I think most people wouldn't take it seriously,
thinking that if you can get on a bike and ride it,
you can't be handicapped enough for a sticker.
might find you bike tipped over, or a car parked on it,
even if you have one.

Then again it seems nowadays that everyone is going to see Dr. Nick and getting one.
That might be why there's so much resentment from those who are truly handicapped.
(Sorry, my mother-in-law was wheelchair bound and we could never find a spot).

It looks like there are stickers now, but the link I found at the Ontario government is dead.

It seems like there are ~ 15,000,000 vehicles on the road, and ~500,000 stickers now, in the province.
So there will be lots of competition for the free spots available. I found that paid accessible spots always seemed to be available. Not sure so much now though, M-I-L passed away a long time ago.

Then again it seems nowadays that everyone is going to see Dr. Nick and getting one.
That might be why there's so much resentment from those who are truly handicapped.

This.

I'm thinking if I can support my bike and ride my bike, I can probably suck it up and walk...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had been immobilized for 1.5 years and was using crutches for most of it. Nobody was kind to me AT ALL. Actually people took the opportunity to try and attack me, and rob me, or just bully me in general. I had 50+ year old Russian men threaten to kill me while trying to open a door in the middle of a crowded store. It was not pleasant being handicapped (even temporarily) in Toronto. I had to park my car in normal spots and crutch my way to where I had to go, and PLENTY of times I would see the "handicapped" person walk into their car as if nothing was immobilizing them. I have so many stories it will drive me to anger if I keep thinking about it. Thank the lord I am fine now..

And even with all of that I didn't think it was fair to take a spot from an elderly person who truly has trouble walking. If they can't park sometimes they don't even get to do the business they need to do. It's quite sad.

Back
Top Bottom