Private or Dealer ...for first time purchase | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Private or Dealer ...for first time purchase

Liens

Guys, I looked at one bike, where the UVIP is showing a clean title (no lien) but the seller told me he actually still owes money to the dealership. I believe the seller and the bike is priced such that he's not just trying to get rid of it for whatever.

Does anyone know, if I transfer the vehicle, can the dealership repossess it off me, even though the government is showing no liens in their system?

In other words, if the govt allows me to change the ownership, but the bike is not paid off, is that a problem?

It is possible that he may have financed it in such a way that its a non-car loan and therefore doesn't matter?

Oh the perils of buying private........

Re: Liens

gov allows u to change ownership REGARDLESS of if there's a lien on a vehicle or not...it is really your resp. to check tht before purchasing the vehicle

The seller may be trying to be helpfull to you here. If you can afford the asking price + the potential lien amount- and you like the bike then why not go for it?

civility is not yet dead, you know!

When looking for a bike on Kijiji I start off by asking if the seller is the original owner, and any damage and if there's any money owed. You should look outside the GTA. I bought my bike in Barrie and followed my friend down highway 27 home to Mississauga. 

Yeah, civility is not dead. Of course people want to sell their vehicles and pay them off, esp with bikes because some people just choose not to ride any more.

the seller looked into it further and explained it like this...which I think is kinda cray:
he said that as long as he makes payments to it, the UVIP will show no lien. But if he stopped, a lien would be placed on the vehicle.

But it's kinda crazy don't you think guys? Because that means that whenever you buy a car or bike from someone and they don't tell you if money is owed, if they stop making payments, your bike could be repossessed!

If the amount is reasonable you can go to the dealership with the owner, pay the amount and give him the difference (that is, if its within the total price he's asking for of course).

Does anyone know if dealers are ever flexible on price on new bikes or are they pretty much set?

really liking the white Honda CB300FA...if I cant find what I want in the resale market, I might just pay a little more and bite the bullet.

HB the motorcycle show this weekend? What are the chances there'd be any used starter bikes there?

My sense is that because it's geared toward enthusiasts, the resale bikes that are there will probably be mostly higher CC or specialty bikes... :( and its pretty far for me and costly to go, just to chance it

Good chance for a nice used bike this weekend at the show. If not try some dealers. Some are great others not so much. Depends where you go

Does anyone know if dealers are ever flexible on price on new bikes or are they pretty much set?

really liking the white Honda CB300FA...if I cant find what I want in the resale market, I might just pay a little more and bite the bullet.

HB the motorcycle show this weekend? What are the chances there'd be any used starter bikes there?

My sense is that because it's geared toward enthusiasts, the resale bikes that are there will probably be mostly higher CC or specialty bikes... :( and its pretty far for me and costly to go, just to chance it
Usually in the Spring they aren't too flexible with new models.

I bought my first bike in 2013 for the a new 2012 model that they were trying to clear out due to it being previous year model they had sitting around so there is a deal there. And this year I bought mine in early Feb when they would like to get the sale, but the market hasn't quite picked up yet. I got Freight and PDI dropped so just had to pay MRSP -150 discount from kawasaki.

Don't buy from Suzuki of Newmarket. Normally they have great prices and a frightening lack of competence (search for threads on them). Grey market bikes from a place like Nuak are a terrible idea for a first bike. A few of the small used bike dealers have many sketchy stories attached. The big dealers seem to be ok.

Personally, I would try to find a friend/acquaintance that has been around bikes for a while that can help you check out bikes (alternatively pay one of the trusted local mechanics to give the bike a once over before you buy). Ask for maintenance records, lack of records doesn't mean the bike is a dud, but IME most people that bother keeping records also bother looking after their vehicles properly.

(Funny--I had been looking at a couple of options but the communication was abysmal. When I finally did hear back from someone it was this same outfit.
They began with a lie--I quickly ended the conversation.)

Back
Top Bottom