Private or Dealer ...for first time purchase | GTAMotorcycle.com

Private or Dealer ...for first time purchase

V

verity

I haven't seen anything specific that addresses this particular topic so I'll put it here. (If the moderator feels the need to redirect, thank you in advance...)

Is there any advantage to buying from a dealer first time around? I am aware that there are things to be aware of when buying used vehicles but how does a new rider/owner protect themselves from purchasing a dud? (Not that any forum members here would do such a thing...)

If you can see buying a new bike and keeping it for a few years then I don't think buying new is a horrible idea. Being you're new and the chances are you may entirely change your mind about what kind of bike you are interested in or the size of it, I don't think used is a bad way to go either. As long as you know what you're looking at, new or used you'll be fine. If you don't maybe you know someone who could go with you and have a look. Dealers aren't usually too bad. Depends where you are but I can say if Brampton powersports is an option Ian is one of the most straight up sales people I've ever dealt with.

North York-Scarborough area is the closest, but I will travel within the GTA if something good comes up. Thank you

Don't buy from Suzuki of Newmarket. Normally they have great prices and a frightening lack of competence (search for threads on them). Grey market bikes from a place like Nuak are a terrible idea for a first bike. A few of the small used bike dealers have many sketchy stories attached. The big dealers seem to be ok.

Personally, I would try to find a friend/acquaintance that has been around bikes for a while that can help you check out bikes (alternatively pay one of the trusted local mechanics to give the bike a once over before you buy). Ask for maintenance records, lack of records doesn't mean the bike is a dud, but IME most people that bother keeping records also bother looking after their vehicles properly.

Don't buy from Suzuki of Newmarket. Normally they have great prices and a frightening lack of competence (search for threads on them). Grey market bikes from a place like Nuak are a terrible idea for a first bike. A few of the small used bike dealers have many sketchy stories attached. The big dealers seem to be ok.

Personally, I would try to find a friend/acquaintance that has been around bikes for a while that can help you check out bikes (alternatively pay one of the trusted local mechanics to give the bike a once over before you buy). Ask for maintenance records, lack of records doesn't mean the bike is a dud, but IME most people that bother keeping records also bother looking after their vehicles properly.

Totally agree. Do not go anywhere near SON. They are the worst at scamming you. Tell you one story then completely go back on there word.
Unless you are looking at buying a Grandma. `Cause they will sell one of their`s.

Here are my thoughts on buying from Dealer comparing to buy from Private:

Buying from Dealer:
- don't have to worry about any paperwork. It is literally agreeing on a price, then go back to the dealership with cash or bank draft, pick up keys to bike and ride the bike home. Dealer will do all the paperwork, registration and get the plate for the bike.
- if anything's wrong with the bike afterwards, a reputable dealer will take care of it for you if you bring it back to them.
- typically higher prices than buying Private (kijiji, friend) Dealer makes a living on selling bikes. The margin for profit is pretty tight, but there's still room for negotiation.

Private sale:
- you need to get proper paperwork in order
- look at maintenance records to evaluate the bike
- you are buying as-is, so if you do not detect whatever's wrong with it, you will have to pay for the fixes
- great deals to have if you find them. When someone needs to get rid of a bike urgently, you can work that to your advantage.
- can also be a huge pain when seller is emotionally attached to the bike (walk away from these... it's not worth the hassle)

If you have someone to check it out for you, private is usually better. If you don't, then a reputable dealer will cost a bit more, but less hassle.

If you have someone to check it out for you, private is usually better. If you don't, then a reputable dealer will cost a bit more, but less hassle.
I've had my eyes on this thread but didn't know quite how to chime in, since IMO/experience what everyone has already said basically outlines it to a T. That in mind Riceburner you nailed it.
I couldn't have said it better myself with so few words.

Does anyone know any other motorcycle dealers? In the city of Toronto preferably or just slightly into the 905...I live DT...I don't think I've ever seen a dealer lot full of bikes anywhere.

If you want a good dealer experience try GP bikes. Lots of variety re:new and used bikes, clothing, parts accessories etc... I've personally not bot a bike from them (just gear) but my bro-in-law had a great experience purchasing a new Triumph America. He dealt with Jeremy.

"how does a new rider/owner protect themselves from purchasing a dud?"

I bought my bike privately ( Kijiji) but I asked the owner to have the safety done prior to purchase.
Read some treads on the forum giving advice on buying used bike and took it for little test drive up and down the street (I think the owner will let you if you bring the money- just keep it in your pocket!

"Is there any advantage to buying from a dealer first time around"
All I can say your gonna save money if you buy privately remember there is no black book for motorcycle.

Be patient in buying there is so many good bikes out there. Keep checking Kijiji what the bikes are going for and see if you make/get a deal . Doing the paperwork yourself is a good learning experience and it can be done in one afternoon. Save your money and good luck.

I just bought a used bike, ended up buying from a dealer. The "kijiji" prices are out to lunch, many dealerships are actually selling used bikes cheaper than private owners. Try motorcycledealers.ca, easy way to find specific used bikes at local/ontario dealers.

"You lost 15 friends on motorcycles? and you have only been riding since 2008? was this a group ride that fell off a cliff or are you being serious?"-ZX600

.... and took it for little test drive up and down the street (I think the owner will let you if you bring the money- just keep it in your pocket!....

I've never let anyone test ride my bike for sale unless the money was in my hand. On the flip side, Ive test ridden every bike I've bought without handing over cash. Guess I have a trustworthy face.

I've never let anyone test ride my bike for sale unless the money was in my hand. On the flip side, Ive test ridden every bike I've bought without handing over cash. Guess I have a trustworthy face.

Same here. I sold my DRZ back in November and I rode it up and down the road shifting the gears and locking up both brakes to show everything worked.

Depends on a whole lotta things.

I looked at private sellers for MONTHS before finally caving in to a good deal with a dealer outside of the GTA.

Negotiating with private seller is easier than with dealer but then dealer might hook you up on accessories and their installation.
Dealers will have warranties usually (how good they are on used bikes... debatable...but it's still "there")

So many different things to look at.

I got my bike privet and saved about 5 grand if I was going to buy from the dealer.... in my eyes privet is the way to go your not going to get a better deal then that

Struggling with this same question myself. Really want to go for private because I feel there's some money to be saved, but the problems I am finding is:
- dinged-up bikes...generally light falls with what appears to be light cosmetic damage.
- bikes not kept in good condition, i.e. the rotors were rusted
- no UVIP or safety
- flaky sellers, see my recent experience here: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...ep-at-a-time&p=2277856&viewfull=1#post2277856

On the other hand, no dealers really have what I am looking for, and the dealers I have been in touch with don't seem to be that interested in really selling me on their bikes. (i.e. they're acting like the bikes will sell themselves anyway, so why bother)

I realize the UVIP and safety aren't absolutely necessary, but it should help sellers better get the price they want. I am not really confident in making offers unless I see a UVIP. No bike I have yet seen has had a safety. And while I am looking at bikes that I expect will all pass a safety, you just never know.

That brings me to another point...what are people's opinions on bikes that have minor (and I do mean minor) scratches due to light tip-overs. If you were confident that no mechanic damage came to the bike as a result, would you consider making an offer, or always pass?

Last edited:
Private - know your stuff or bring a friend

Dealer - peace of mind (for reputable dealer) in exchange for more money.

Fyi i dont recommend financing your first bike unless you plan to keep it for a while. If you cant afford to buy an entry level bike, it should speak to your financial status as to your commitment to the sport. It aint cheap.

i personally say go used and get a bike thats not too expensive. 2-3k as your first bike. Bikers are notorious for buying new bikes, I buy a new bike every year, so I don't mind going used as I have the mentality of short term ownership.

But I highly recommend bringing someone that knows about bikes to bargain the price down on other people selling their first bike. I always love buying a bike off someone who knows nothing about bikes, always get it for cheaper then going rate :).

Back
Top Bottom