Are you a fan of the original Star Trek series? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Are you a fan of the original Star Trek series?

It was but i think TNG is the better show. The characters are better defined and it benefited from a better defined idea of what SCIFI is. There way still allot of social commentary in TNG. But i think TOS was socially a more important show.

Where the characters are concerned, I see it a little differently. Take one of the major characters from the original series and there are likely two in Next Gen that are just aspects of that character.

Spock: Worf is the alien, Data is the logic, and Troi is the psychic
Kirk: Picard is the command experience and Ryker is the lucky swashbuckler
Scotty: Geordi is the engineering skill and Worf is the ethnic passion
Bones: They just split his character between the two doctors, Crusher and Pulaski

And Chekov is just Wesley. To me it was formulaic. They even robbed some of the original series episodes for Next Gen.

We are used to more sophisticated effects, etc. now, so I expect it. Same for story lines, for me at least.

Watched the first 7 min so far and I see what you mean. It feels like I'm really watching TOS! The guy playing Kirk pretty nails it. I find Kirk and Spock's voices a bit awkward though.

And since the debate has already begun... I'm a fan of TNG as well. I think it was the better show from a story telling perspective. TOS may have been historically more important but TNG influenced just as many lives (or more). As a successor to a series TNG pretty much knocked it out of the park. DS9 I liked a lot as well. Voyager and Enterprise not so much.

After Shatner and Nimoy there was no star trek .

Watched the first 7 min so far and I see what you mean. It feels like I'm really watching TOS! The guy playing Kirk pretty nails it. I find Kirk and Spock's voices a bit awkward though.

And since the debate has already begun... I'm a fan of TNG as well. I think it was the better show from a story telling perspective. TOS may have been historically more important but TNG influenced just as many lives (or more). As a successor to a series TNG pretty much knocked it out of the park. DS9 I liked a lot as well. Voyager and Enterprise not so much.

It's definitely tough wrapping your head around new voices, when you've had more than 40 years to get used to the originals. From the acting standpoint, though, I would say that the main cast hits the high points of their roles quite well. Chris Doohan, son of James Doohan, is sometimes creepy good when it comes to stepping into his father's shoes. Grant Imahara is occasionally successful at getting George Takei's voice cadence down but should probably just stick to playing the character, like Habercorn and Huber do with Spock and McCoy, rather than trying to do an impression.

I think that my main sticking point, with the shows that came after, was that they needed a season or more to catch their stride. TOS just hit the ground running and never looked back. To me the first seasons of NG and DS9 were complete throw aways with wooden characters, and rough plots. In the case of DS9 it was apparently because all of the good writers were still with NG and when production on it shut down, DS9 improved noticeably. If I was the captain in Voyager I'd have spaced the entire mutinous crew, before season 1 was over, and would never have gotten to the Borgwatch seasons. Enterprise was a squandered opportunity. They could have done the founding of the Federation, in fact they started to do that very thing just before being cancelled, but instead went for that ridiculous "temporal cold war" storyline.

"Star Trek: Axanar" looks like it might pick up some of what Enterprise should have done. I'm expecting my DVD soon.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/194429923/star-trek-axanar

Here's their intro video "Prelude to Axanar":

[video=youtube;1W1_8IV8uhA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA[/video]

Yea I expect I'll get used to the voices after a few episodes. Thanks for posting btw as I had no idea it existed!

Fair assessment on the post-TOS shows. Although in the case of TNG I think the early seasons were an attempt to live up to TOS after such a long break. It still had a very similar feel. Once it found it's own way it really caught fire and you can see the confidence they attained to be able to tell the stories they wanted to.
TOS had the "advantage" of defining it's own sub-genre so most of what they did was groundbreaking at the time, at least on TV. It was a huge accomplishment but the challenges that show faced were different from the challenges that TNG faced. Ultimately they both resonated massively with audiences and made a very big impact on the world. Hence the constant TOS vs TNG debates lol. I don't think I can say the same about DS9 and the other series.

Yea I expect I'll get used to the voices after a few episodes. Thanks for posting btw as I had no idea it existed!

Fair assessment on the post-TOS shows. Although in the case of TNG I think the early seasons were an attempt to live up to TOS after such a long break. It still had a very similar feel. Once it found it's own way it really caught fire and you can see the confidence they attained to be able to tell the stories they wanted to.
TOS had the "advantage" of defining it's own sub-genre so most of what they did was groundbreaking at the time, at least on TV. It was a huge accomplishment but the challenges that show faced were different from the challenges that TNG faced. Ultimately they both resonated massively with audiences and made a very big impact on the world. Hence the constant TOS vs TNG debates lol. I don't think I can say the same about DS9 and the other series.

TOS was actually working its way out of a hole, from the get-go, from Roddenbury's point of view. He wanted visionary and inspiring Science Fiction. The network, run by people who were making stupid money with westerns, literally told him that they wanted a 'Wagon Train to the stars, ' hence the series' name. The series pilot was "The Cage", which eventually became the two part episode "The Menagerie." The network heads thought that it was too cerebral (ie. was smart and made them feel dumb) so he gave them what they wanted in a second pilot; "The Man Trap." It had an alien monster, fights, and action. They liked it. If they hadn't, there wouldn't have been an original series.

Back
Top Bottom