Are you a fan of the original Star Trek series? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Are you a fan of the original Star Trek series?

Rob MacLennan

Site Supporter
If you are then the best fan film continuation that I've found, of the many out there, is called "Star Trek Continues." They're trying to stay true to the original series in their scripts, settings, etc.. They've brought back Michael Forest, who played the 'god' Apollo in the original series. They put Grant Imahara, of Mythbusters, in the role of Sulu. Lou Ferrigno played a (green) Orion slave trader in one of their episodes. And, most importantly, the guy that they have playing Kirk, while he doesn't look like Shatner, actually plays a passable Kirk. They're taking their time with it and doing it right, instead of throwing a dozen crappy episodes out there a year.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqBfJMOAgxpLooYH0WkLpmw

They're also doing their 2015 Kickstarter right now.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/trekcontinues/star-trek-continues-2015-kirkstarter-20

I'm a fan of the original, but I'm not sure that I could watch anything without Denny Crane or The Great Paris.

Give it a chance...its very well done...its captures the spirit of the series perfectly

I agree, it was surprising, after watching Youtube comedic skits for years, I was not expecting this level of commitment and seriousness. Well done.

That's why I posted it; it's that good. They go to great pains to do justice to the original, and it shows in the final product. Even the Kickstarter videos are done in homage to the original:

[video=youtube;l3VvD-4RiFE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3VvD-4RiFE[/video]

I also watch "Star Trek: Phase II" which is generally good, but really disappointed me with a recent episode called "Mind Sifter." It just didn't ring true to the original series.

Yeah, heard about this. Looks good. I have to get past the feeling of it feeling like a spoof and watch them as continuations. Kinda like tribute bands. Though I like teck, so the more modern stuff plays to that sensibility.

Do they have polystyrene rocks and do they just tilt the camera from side to side for explosions?

That's what bugs me now. I expect more. Like when the ship is supposed to be orbiting a planet and coming around for an assault, but it's pulling away from the planet in the shot. I know they are using a "pool" graphic sequence and on a budget, but inconsistencies bug me to no end. Just watched a regular TV shoe and in one shot the guy puts the pencil down, but in the reverse shot he's got it in his hand. I've worked in film and video and know everything can't be exactly correct, but it still bugs me.

That's what bugs me now. I expect more. Like when the ship is supposed to be orbiting a planet and coming around for an assault, but it's pulling away from the planet in the shot. I know they are using a "pool" graphic sequence and on a budget, but inconsistencies bug me to no end. Just watched a regular TV shoe and in one shot the guy puts the pencil down, but in the reverse shot he's got it in his hand. I've worked in film and video and know everything can't be exactly correct, but it still bugs me.

And I'm a science geek, a computer service tech, know a little about firearms and tactics, and interested in Medieval/Renaissance weapons and armour, in addition to making chanimail and doing a little rough leather working. You don't think that I could find things to nitpick, like how in "Vikings" they wear armour that was never historically used and the best armour that they would have in their metal working community, chainmail, seems nowhere to be found? Hell, I recognize one of the leather 'armour' vests in a recent movie as being straight from a LARPer supply, because I have the same piece in my own collection.

Sometimes you just have to switch the brain off and enjoy the show ;)

You're stealing Ed Sullivan lines now!?! Was it a really big shoe?

[video=youtube;afhMMcAHlKw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afhMMcAHlKw[/video]

Next gen is so so far from the original.
Unfortunately, it's the only one available on Netflicks, so I can't get my fix.

Well the e is next to the w.

I hear ya about turning your brain off to watch TV/movies. But it's been ingrained for so long to look for errors, it takes some work to switch off.

From the point of innovation, it's not even close. TOS was ahead of its time, while TNG is very much a product of its time.

It was but i think TNG is the better show. The characters are better defined and it benefited from a better defined idea of what SCIFI is. There way still allot of social commentary in TNG. But i think TOS was socially a more important show.

Back
Top Bottom