A DIY Garage and Winter storage/ work space | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

A DIY Garage and Winter storage/ work space

We really do appreciate everyone's contribution here. This is exactly why we're reaching out: to get all feedback that we could put to use or have not yet considered. We will update you with progress as we go forward with our plan. Thank you!

I floated this idea with a few friends a couple of years ago when I saw how "well" it worked in Europe. Great idea, hard to pull off as most of the other comments have alluded to. I will give you a different perspective... you may want to very carefully research what "restricted trades" really means. The College of Trades replaced the MTCU and Apprenticeship Offices not that long ago, and they (apparently) are not fooling around when it comes to enforcement. Most (read: I think all) of the transportation based trades (Car, bike truck and coach etc) are restricted, meaning you must be a registered journey-person, apprentice or about to be an apprentice to work on products in that trade (caveat: this is my interpretation after discussions with the College). At one point, one of the enforcement officers implied that technically you can't even wrench on your own stuff at home. I personally don't care and do it all the time, and good luck enforcing that. Also he may have just been flexing his bureaucratic muscles, because that seems silly to me. I know that the College of Trades has fined quite a few shops in the GTA for not having: qualified people (on paper, no judgement intended about their actual abilities), all their paperwork in order, expired licences and the like.

I like this idea. I hope it pans out for you guys. It's similar to what the guys at Motomethod are doing in Vancouver.

http://youtu.be/9SxhliZQs4I

I visited their shop when I was in town there for work. It was exactly as advertised. Lots of bikes out front and a bunch of people working away inside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like this idea. I hope it pans out for you guys. It's similar to what the guys at Motomethod are doing in Vancouver.

http://youtu.be/9SxhliZQs4I

I visited their shop when I was in town there for work. It was exactly as advertised. Lots of bikes out front and a bunch of people working away inside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

and motomethod is closed too

I think a better idea would be a shop with a huge one way mirror where people could watch a professional work on their stuff, but I can't imagine any tech who would be interested.

I think a better idea would be a shop with a huge one way mirror where people could watch a professional work on their stuff, but I can't imagine any tech who would be interested.

Only skeezy cheapskates want to watch everything

LOVE the idea! A year or two ago I was telling my cousin that I wished there was a convenient place to go where I could get my car on a hoist and do my own work in peace. I can do the majority of auto work in my garage so I would probably only visit when I need a hoist or specialized tool. I can imagine there are a lot of potential customers out there in condo city who don't have access to their own garage or tools. I'm a North Yorker myself.

[edit] Heated garage I hope?

Last edited:
Someone else already said it best, if the rates are approaching 50% of a mechanics rate and I have to do it myself, I would rather spring for the extra and get someone else to do it especially once you factor in the fact that the mechanic should be twice as fast, therefore I save no money by doing it myself.

I do things myself to save money (or if what I want is complicated and I can't get anyone else to do it), either way self-serve for ~$40 (for a car) doesn't help me.

thats one thing i can't see any (commercial) insurance company permitting. the liabilities of allowing lackeys throwing their own vehicles up on hoists are huge

I have found shops online that were willing to rent out their bay for hoist use. I won't pretend to know anything about the liability side or whether these shops were even covered but the OP seems to have worked this out with his agent.

Someone else already said it best, if the rates are approaching 50% of a mechanics rate and I have to do it myself, I would rather spring for the extra and get someone else to do it especially once you factor in the fact that the mechanic should be twice as fast, therefore I save no money by doing it myself.

I do things myself to save money (or if what I want is complicated and I can't get anyone else to do it), either way self-serve for ~$40 (for a car) doesn't help me.

Pricing will definitely have to be thought out well. However, I think the assumption you're making is that the typical customer only cares about saving money and really doesn't want to work on their vehicle. I believe they are a sizable part of the target demographic. But you're leaving out the enthusiasts who also comprise a large percentage and are likely to be repeat customers. Besides, even if you're approaching 50% of a mechanic's rate you're still saving 50%. Depending on the job that can be a pretty huge savings. Anyone pinching their pennies would probably jump on that deal.

Back
Top Bottom