Replacing helmet foam | GTAMotorcycle.com

Replacing helmet foam

theraymondguy

I picked up a NOS Bell Pro Star helmet (1986) some time ago. The liner and shell are perfect, I'll bet they've never seen the light of day. The foam however is crumbling. I've found a vendor online for the pads http://www.genuineaccessories.com/HlmtsFF/PRSTROLD.htm, but was wondering if there was someone local who does this kind of work?

Before anyone mentions it, this is a nostalgia piece to hang off of the helmet lock, not for everyday use.

If you want to spent a few hundred bucks restoring a 30 year-old, non-functional, never going to be worn helmet I guess you could talk to a seat upholsterer. They cut & cover foam all the time

I picked up a NOS Bell Pro Star helmet (1986) some time ago. The liner and shell are perfect, I'll bet they've never seen the light of day. The foam however is crumbling. I've found a vendor online for the pads http://www.genuineaccessories.com/HlmtsFF/PRSTROLD.htm, but was wondering if there was someone local who does this kind of work?

Before anyone mentions it, this is a nostalgia piece to hang off of the helmet lock, not for everyday use.

If you want to spent a few hundred bucks restoring a 30 year-old, non-functional, never going to be worn helmet I guess you could talk to a seat upholsterer. They cut & cover foam all the time

Like TK said, if it is just for window dressing, why spend the money, get foam cut for a non-functional helmet. There are a few foam places that can put all kinds of things together for you down on Ottawa street in Hamilton. Not sure what is available in Niagara? You can do the recovering or go to a upholstery shop and get them to do the work.

Try just spraying a varnish onto the foam to create a flake proof shell.

I've refoamed old helmets. Just use a thin sheet of camping foam .25" or .5" thickness. Trace the area inside the helmet with tissue paper and pencil, transfer to card stock. Trim card stock and test fit, trim more if necessary. Once the fit is good, trace onto foam with sharpie and cut out. Test fit and glue in place with Goop.

Just gut the crumbling foam, clean it up and hang it up.
If you are not wearing it (which I suspect you want to) then why trouble with replacing foam?

At any rate, RetroGrouch way is probably best because upholstery places are not exactly cheap and this is a custom job.

Back
Top Bottom