How do you approach intersections and yellow traffic lights? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do you approach intersections and yellow traffic lights?

I approach them as slowly as possible, eye out for left turners. Being in a cruiser myself I don't want to go flying any time soon. That being said if someone is coming but I feel committed already, I generally have a good handle on the accelleration of my bike, and I have the opportunity to just drive through the light I'll just go rather than stop and waiting for them.

This will depend a lot on your distance from the intersection and your speed, if there is a car waiting to turn left in the oncoming lane.. and a ton of other factors.
But basically something like this..

1. Look behind me first, make sure some person isn't trying to gun the light
2. If all clear, engine brake+regular brake
If not all clear, tap brake to flash brake light twice, then begin normal braking. Keep watching to see the other vehicle slows or backs away from you.
3. Stop. lol

If stopping behind another car and there are multiple cars behind me I will position my bike to have an emergency route of exit. I had a buddy whos bike was smashed right out from under him at a stop light. His bike went between two cars and flopped over, he didn't get smushed because he aimed his bike (at a full stop) between the car in front of him, and the car beside that.

Just keep your eyes and ears open for the traffic around you. Don't always expect the guy behind you to stop. Be ready to move out of the way to keep yourself safe.

One thing I want to add is how I hate when 18 wheelers drive in the left lane of a multi lane road. Seen more than enough accidents with drivers turning left in front of them because they were far enough back, but didn't see the car in the lane beside coming up and t bone. Edit: Not blaming the truck drivers, the left turning vehicle should not have turned, but these accidents could be limited if trucks always use right lane, imo. Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk
How does a transport truck turn left from the right hand lane?

How does a transport truck turn left from the right hand lane?

My description wasn't quite clear: Not turning left, just traveling in the left most lane. Sometimes people think they are clear to turn left in front of them because of the speed, or lack thereof, not seeing a vehicle traveling in the right lane blocked by 53 feet of trailer.
I'm gonna get my kids crayons and paper. I don't think I could understand me. ?

Actually it's more than 53ft because at an angle it's like a parallelogram. A lot of people don't take that into account.

My description wasn't quite clear: Not turning left, just traveling in the left most lane. Sometimes people think they are clear to turn left in front of them because of the speed, or lack thereof, not seeing a vehicle traveling in the right lane blocked by 53 feet of trailer.
I'm gonna get my kids crayons and paper. I don't think I could understand me. ?

I think I know what you possible mean. I`ll try and explain it the best way I can.

I am turning left with two lanes doing the same. I am 4-5 cars back, left lane and on my right I have an 18 wheeler. we both turn left together.
I have no where to go if the 18 wheeler does not stay in his lane and wonders over into my lane. My scenario says that if he does I can not accelerate because I have cars in front of me.

So I stay back expecting that he might not see me. Lo and behold he does turn into my lane. If I had expected the driver to run over me that is exactly what he/she would have done. Really, no big deal. Expect the worst and you will not have any, "What ifs"

Still here today able to post. I was not mad or angry because he almost killed me(I would not make a very good speed bump) that`s why it is important to read traffic.

Two other things.

Yellow lights and red light both mean the same thing, it's just a matter of timing.
There seems to be an excess of worry about being hit from behind while waiting at a light.
In 41 years of driving, I've had it happen to me once, and seen it once.
The guy who hit me, did so at very low speed, because he wasn't paying attention.
The one I saw, was a guy driving a car with no brakes, travelling at high speed,
and he was hit 10 seconds after the light turned red.
It doesn't happen that often, and I've never had someone trying to rush through the red hit me.
These people are usually more aware, and will lane change or stop, if you stop.

Some people here should worry more about how they approach curves and turns,
and less about intersections.
There are way too many single vehicle crashes on bikes now.
If you can't even play well by yourself, how are you going to play well with others?

I really have to explain myself better...only typing in half thoughts when using the phone, my apologies.
I'm making the left turn, going north. Truck traveling south in left lane of 4 total lanes of traffic. Truck is far enough back that I assume he will stop at the yellow/red. I proceed to turn left on yellow, 2nd vehicle coming south in right lane tries to make light, I didn't see this vehicle as the 18 wheeler had blocked it, I get tboned. I think I may have made it clearer. Sorry for any earlier confusion.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom