2005 KDX 220 R known problems | GTAMotorcycle.com

2005 KDX 220 R known problems

numitor

Hi guys,

I'm planning on buying an 05 KDX 220R and I was wondering about the common problems, things I should look for. What I could find so far is the piston flaw, if the bike has the stock one would it be expensive to change ?

Thanks a lot,

The KDX has a reputation for reliability. I've got one in the garage because I much prefer to be riding than fixing things or waiting on parts. I can honestly say buying it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

The only real fault that I can think of is that mine will leak gas from the carb overflow if it is leaned over more than normal on the kickstand (on uneven ground, for instance), which seems to be a somewhat common complaint. It might just need a new float valve needle, but screwing around with carbs isn't my favorite way to spend an afternoon. I just always turn the fuel tap off when I stop. Maybe I'll dig into it one of these days.

I swapped the piston out for a forged one shortly after I got mine, but I'm not convinced that it was necessary. The old one looked to be in good shape, and it was the original piston according to the previous owner. The procedure is fairly straightforward, although it took me most of a Saturday, as I recall.

Throw some wraparound handguards on it if it doesn't already have them, and carry an extra spark plug with you.

Last edited:
Those bikes are dead reliable. I wouldn't worry about the piston unless it is ready for a rebuild. I know guys who have owned these for 10+ years, and never opened up the engine.

Probably one of the best true trail bikes around, balancing fun, power, and reliability.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot for the info guys! It's great to know it's a reliable bike, I tried one in Squamish last fall (the first 2 stroke I rode) and I absolutely loved how it handled in the trails.

Factory piston and kips valves getting gummed up seems to be the only probems,suspension could use an upgrade but otherwise a great bulletproof trail bike.I still have parts leftover that I never used when I had my KDX hybrid because it was so reliable lol.

Hi guys,

I'm planning on buying an 05 KDX 220R and I was wondering about the common problems, things I should look for. What I could find so far is the piston flaw, if the bike has the stock one would it be expensive to change ?

Thanks a lot,

replace the stock piston before it granated with forged one
google about it

Back
Top Bottom