Driver's License Renewal Application | GTAMotorcycle.com

Driver's License Renewal Application

inreb

Site Supporter
The question is: Has an optometrist or physician ever advised you that you require corrective lenses to improve your visual acuity to see at a distance?

My drivers licence has always indicated I need corrective lenses. I have since had cataract with prescription lens surgery. I have a small amount of residual farsightedness but regularly drive/ride without correction. Sometimes I'll wear +1 Walmart reading glasses as my vision fluctuates a tad.

Because my licence already indicates needing glasses would putting down "No" set off red flags?

If I remember correctly, you require a note from a licenced optometrist, (might also just accept a note from your family physician, to be provided to Service Ontario when renewing. they will then remove the X restriction. You need to have this done if you are stopped by a copper and don't have corrective lenses , but still show the restriction they "could" if they wanted to be a real dick, tag you and not permit your to continue along and tow the vehicle. Most will just accept it when you tell them you had the surgery, but there is always THAT ONE...lol

The question is: Has an optometrist or physician ever advised you that you require corrective lenses to improve your visual acuity to see at a distance?

My drivers licence has always indicated I need corrective lenses. I have since had cataract with prescription lens surgery. I have a small amount of residual farsightedness but regularly drive/ride without correction. Sometimes I'll wear +1 Walmart reading glasses as my vision fluctuates a tad.

Because my licence already indicates needing glasses would putting down "No" set off red flags?

Thanks, I've already had that roadside chat.

How do they know if you're wearing contacts? I have corrective lens on my license & have yet to get probed when wearing contact lens

If you put "no" on the requires corrective lenses, they'll make you do the full eye test again.

After I had LASIK done 10 years ago, I went (was driven) to the closest drive test center in Kitchener, swore an oath that i'd just had surgery, and retook the eye exam.

I left with a temp license, and my X removed license was mailed to me.

My experience has been similar, having had my optometrist mail a form to the MTO indicating that my vision is acceptable to drive without the vision condition on my license. I initially received the condition when I took the eye test some years back, and did pickup glasses to help with some slight nearsightedness. The caveat was that, according to my optometrist, the condition was not legally necessary as it was a deficit in only a single eye. The legal minimum required vision with BOTH eyes, together, to be at a minimum - in my case, it was just my right eye with poorer vision. Using both eyes compensated for the loss, meeting the minimum.

Long story short, marking "NO" will likely require a retest, at worst. Alternatively, a note from an optometrist should do the trick.

I had LASIK a couple of years ago, the optometrist sent something to the MTO to remove the condition. My brother had LASIK his optometrist just told him to go to the MTO and get them to redo the eye test.

As for if you are wearing contact lenses as described by RockerGuy, its fairly evident by visual inspection if someone is wearing a contact lenses or not. You can usually see the outer ridge of the lens in the eye.

In my op it all depends on how your optometrist does. I had surgery at a local lasik surgery centre in Hamilton called SEE by IV and the optometrist gave me a certificate that I could resent at the MTO’s office to get the condition removed from my license. Needed a quick eye test though, but the MTO was totally willing cause of my Optometrist’s certificate.

I have 20-20 vision BTW.

My mother's nearsightedness went away as she aged, to the point where she would forget to wear her glasses, but she was never pulled over for it, until she quit driving.

My, you have some interesting conversations.

Hopefully, you're old enough that the farsightedness doesn't continue until you need them again.

Actually, you're probably better off young, either way.

Next time, maybe ask the physician or Ministry, just to make that we're not pulling your leg.

Back
Top Bottom