Are we on the cusp of a recession ? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Are we on the cusp of a recession ?

Your buddy is screwed. By law they cannot be kicked out until spring. So thats 4 months of no rent.

Id say that's a fairly decent sized risk there in your plan. What happens when your students decide to stop paying you the rent, or damage the property? Any money made will then go into repairs or keeping up the payments.

Actually, no. Renting rooms to university students who share bathroom, kitchen and common areas is a whole different animal than renting out separate apartments. The landlord tenant act doesn't apply here. Boarders have way less rights. You could throw somebody out in 24hrs. Having rented out for 8yrs, I've learned serious foreign students are the best bet, no white Canadians. I've never been beat for rent(the white Canadian tried) and no damage to speak of. A positive side benefit is more money per square ft. potential and if you lose a tenant it's only 1/6 lost income not 50% or 100%. It's just comes down to being bothered to do it, altho couple weeks back picked up a commercial grade washing machine "just in case":eek:

Actually, no. Renting rooms to university students who share bathroom, kitchen and common areas is a whole different animal than renting out separate apartments. The landlord tenant act doesn't apply here. Boarders have way less rights. You could throw somebody out in 24hrs. Having rented out for 8yrs, I've learned serious foreign students are the best bet, no white Canadians. I've never been beat for rent(the white Canadian tried) and no damage to speak of. A positive side benefit is more money per square ft. potential and if you lose a tenant it's only 1/6 lost income not 50% or 100%. It's just comes down to being bothered to do it, altho couple weeks back picked up a commercial grade washing machine "just in case":eek:

Ah I see....I thought student renters / boarders also had the same rules as regular tenants....in that case I will consider this as I'm looking for a house near a college, and would definitely look to rent to someone to help cover the mortgage in order to pay it off faster.

I've also had to pick up a new commercial washer as the tenants (5 of them) went through the first one in four years...which I guess isn't too bad...but still sucks having to buy a new machine. Ah well...such is slumlord life!

Last edited:
Ah I see....I thought student renters / boarders also had the same rules as regular tenants....in that case I will consider this as I'm looking for a house near a college, and would definitely look to rent to someone to help cover the mortgage in order to pay it off faster.

A friend of mine runs a business managing and maintaining student rental properties for absentee landlords(usually Torontonians) in Hamilton. A lot of these border on the slum lord. Don't be like that. Don't make 4 students share one 14cu ft fridge etc. I still have 5 full size fridges in my house ready to be used again. Treat people right, it makes a difference.

A friend of mine runs a business managing and maintaining student rental properties for absentee landlords(usually Torontonians) in Hamilton. A lot of these border on the slum lord. Don't be like that. Don't make 4 students share one 14cu ft fridge etc. I still have 5 full size fridges in my house ready to be used again. Treat people right, it makes a difference.

Fully agree with that. I'm not interested in being a 'slum lord' as if you treat the renters, and your own properties, with little care...then those people renting will return the favour. Treat the tenants fairly, and most people will return in kind.

Fear mongers are everywhere. The Deutsche Bank / TD numbers you posted are living proof. How can we believe anything?
House prices were supposed to flatten out in the 60's. My Dad bought a brand new house in 1955. He paid $8200.00. He never thought the home would be worth >$200K. He was wrong. I bought my first house for $37,500. I never thought it would be worth >$200K. It is.

Not sure how investing in a home "for retirement" works. I'm retired. I own my home. I've been mortgage free for over 20 yrs. Only advantage I can see is, I have no mortgage payments. All the other bills still keep coming. I need a place to live, and I like my house - don't want to "reap the rewards" and look to pay rent. So is that how the "investment" part works?
Why would anyone plan on retiring with a mortgage?

Well my plan is to sell the big house when we're retired and the kids are settled and move somewhere warm...

Back
Top Bottom