Reinstatement of expired suspended licence | GTAMotorcycle.com

Reinstatement of expired suspended licence

CruisnGrrl

Site Supporter
A friend of mine was charged with some pretty hefty fines and nasty tickets back in 94, ended up with a suspended licence back then so she decided driving was going too expensive and decided to give up driving for the period until she could afford pay for insurance again. She paid the fines years ago.Now she wants to get her license again and they want $150 to reinstate her license that expired 20 years ago. She realizes that she has to do all the testing again, but to pay to reinstate an expired licence in order to pay for testing seems ludicrous to me. Does anyone know if this is right or is service Ontario out to lunch like so many other things (I've seen complaints of them charging for medical reinstatement when their website states otherwise.)

A friend of mine was charged with some pretty hefty fines and nasty tickets back in 94, ended up with a suspended licence back then so she decided driving was going too expensive and decided to give up driving for the period until she could afford pay for insurance again. She paid the fines years ago.Now she wants to get her license again and they want $150 to reinstate her license that expired 20 years ago. She realizes that she has to do all the testing again, but to pay to reinstate an expired licence in order to pay for testing seems ludicrous to me. Does anyone know if this is right or is service Ontario out to lunch like so many other things (I've seen complaints of them charging for medical reinstatement when their website states otherwise.)

happened to me as well.

I don't know what to tell you other than having two different outcomes myself. When I got a 3 day admin suspension for blowing in the warning range I had to pay the $150 to get it reinstated.

When I got a 7 day admin suspension for stunting I had a reinstatement slip mailed to me and a proper license shortly after. I was expecting to have to pay $150 again so I was surprised to get it in the mail.

I guess they figured after HTA 172 you're getting ****ed up the *** so the least they can do is throw you a freebie on your reinstatment.

Are you sure they are right? Read the MTO site it states that she has to apply as a brand new driver. Do new drivers pay that fee when they get a license the first time? If not I can't see how they would get your friend to pay.

"your G1 road test
Invalid: 10+ years
You need to re-apply as a brand new driver and re-take all required tests.* You cannot fast-track and need to serve all mandatory waiting periods.

How to renew
You cannot renew online.* You need to renew a driver’s licence in person.*

To renew and take any required tests:

visit a DriveTest centre or ServiceOntario at College Park in Toronto
bring original identification that shows your legal name, date of birth and your signature
pay a $80*fee (plus any additional test fees that apply)
You will get a temporary driver’s permit. Your new licence card will arrive in the mail."

https://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/renew-expired-drivers-licence

Personally also happened to me years ago I received a medical suspension, decided to stop driving, about 10 years and 2 months later I decided to get licence back. They said although it had expired and I needed to do all the testing again. I was still under a suspension. Now when I was suspended they had NO fee to get reinstated, (the $150 fee was introduced in those 10 years). I appealed the decision, all the way to the minister's office. But I had to pay the fee. Because it was more than 10 years, (Had I applied 2 months earlier I would have went back to full GM immediately). BUT the only main difference was I had NO waiting period to go from G1 to G2 to full G. I did my G1 road test in St Catherines on Thursday, and my G2 road test on Fri in Aurora and was mailed my full G licence, (I didn't have a bike so I got the M later but I did have to wait the periods as it had been closer to 15 years since I held a valid M.

So they are not incorrect in the info your friend was given. She can appeal the decision but it will take about 1 year to go thru all the steps.

She WON'T be able to walk in and "pretend" to be a new driver as her old licence and all records are in the database. When she gets her licence back it will be the original licence number and all records will follow her. so the above info for a "new driver" are NOT applicable.

I'm unfortunately now in the same situation. (Expired license +10 years).

The current legislation for an expired Ontario Driver's License has a huge flaw.

It does NOT take into consideration the amount of experience a driver has had prior to their license expiring. Two years or 40 years driving experience is regarded the same. Only the period of expiry is used (< 1yr, < 3 yrs, < 10 years).

I can (grudgingly) conceed that retaking the G2-exit test is fair. The 20-24 month waiting periods for a 30+ year experienced driver makes no sense.

I've contacted my MPP, who contacted the MTO ministry. Suprise, surprise, nothing that they can (or will) do to allow me to take the G2-exit directly.

The stupidest thing (both on my part and the govt), is that if I had just kept sending in my renewal fee, even WITHOUT DRIVING FOR ~12 YEARS, I wouldn't have this PIA problem now.

Last edited:
Interesting...never had a reason to look into this so I had no clue any of these rules existed. From what I can find, reinstating an expired license is $80 and a suspended is $180. What sucks is beyond 3 years you need to do all the road tests again.

Out of interest, why did anyone here let theirs expire (suspension is another story)? To me it would make more sense to just pay the renewal, even if you don't own a car and are carrying insurance.

What sucks is beyond 3 years you need to do all the road tests again.

And beyond 10 you have to go through all the waiting periods (24 months (20 if you want to go to a driving school).

Out of interest, why did anyone here let theirs expire (suspension is another story)? To me it would make more sense to just pay the renewal, even if you don't own a car and are carrying insurance.

I ASSumed I could just pay the fees to renew my license (which is how it used to be), never checked into it until I wanted to renew it.

can't just start from scratch and get a G1, etc?

Can't go this route. The ops friend already has an Ontario Drivers Licence Number. You can not legally obtain two drivers licence numbers. The records go back decades, so when they run the friends name and info, (DOB), etc, the original driving record will pop up. Otherwise someone who is suspended could simply walk into a service ontario center get a new drivers licence issued and begin driving again, and show the new drivers licence when pulled over.

When I needed a replacement ownership, I was shown my vehicle history, showed every vehicle I have ever registered in Ontario dating back to the 1970's...lol

Interesting...never had a reason to look into this so I had no clue any of these rules existed. From what I can find, reinstating an expired license is $80 and a suspended is $180. What sucks is beyond 3 years you need to do all the road tests again.

From his reply below, he didn't actually"just let it expire" but rather it was suspended for unpaid fines.

And beyond 10 you have to go through all the waiting periods (24 months (20 if you want to go to a driving school).

I ASSumed I could just pay the fees to renew my license (which is how it used to be), never checked into it until I wanted to renew it.

So how old were the fines? When did you pay them? Was it 12 years ago when you didn't renew? Or did you just walk in recently and pay them expecting to get a renewal?

So how old were the fines? When did you pay them? Was it 12 years ago when you didn't renew? Or did you just walk in recently and pay them expecting to get a renewal?

I am NOT the OP's "friend". I'm just posting in this thread with a related "expired" license issue

The reinstatement charge is standard, if you previously had a license. The records still exist and you don't get a new license; your old one is reactivated. Otherwise you end up having two effective licenses in the system. The reinstatement charge is an effective fine, so you don't get to dodge it by starting over.

Back
Top Bottom