TD Insurance rate hikes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

TD Insurance rate hikes?

CBR 600RR

Wondering if anyone else has received their 2015 renewals with a nice premium increase from TD?

I am a current and long-time policyholder with TD.
I purchased a new bike two weeks ago. TD quoted it and sent me the package. No concerns.

My policy renews in March, and so yesterday I get the renewal package with a 15% increase in the rate they quoted two weeks ago.

The explanation? Rates are increasing across the board for 2015.....

So I get get the increase part, but seriously???? They quote it and a week and a half later use the renewal as an excuse to raise the premium???

something fishy going on with them. my renewal is 30% higher than last year. with no changes to coverage or my status. what is even funnier is when i go through their online quote system i get last years rate

Yep, TD is not very good these days as far as I am concerned .... they just lost my motorcycle business to Dejardins ... 850$ became 604$ ... nice saving.

Just waiting for car renewals ... I am sure they will want more, so they will lose the cars and home as well.

Yep, TD is not very good these days as far as I am concerned .... they just lost my motorcycle business to Dejardins ... 850$ became 604$ ... nice saving.

Just waiting for car renewals ... I am sure they will want more, so they will lose the cars and home as well.

BTW .... loyalty in car and bike insurance means absolutely nothing ... it's been the case for the last decade or so. They don't care if you walk, so shouldn't you ... it's the lowest bidder gets the business market and will continue to be so in Ontario.

Yup, had a roughly 20% increase this year. Of course, I'm not really complaining as it's still around $500 with all perils. GS500 isn't the best bike I've ever had, but it is definitely the cheapest bike to run

604$? That's interesting, what are you riding again?

Mine also went up with TD. Just canceled about 2 hours ago and just signed up with mantha insurance. Saved myself $225.

Mine didn't change much still around 1k per year total for the 3 bikes

sent from a device using a program

Mine went up $100, specifically accident benefits. Doesn't really matter since I don't plan on street riding anymore.
The house and vehicles are up for renewal in September, I suspect we'll be shopping around.

Last edited:
My policy went up $36 from last year. Nothing changed on my clean record. Im also with TD.

Dealing with insurance companies in Ontario can be so confusing. Last year when most of the people that I spoke with stated that their motorcycle insurance premium went down, my premium went up by $150. Not a big deal for me as the premium for my cars went down by $140. My renewal is for February and the premium is down by about $300 ($756 for 2 motorcycles full coverage).

wait till you have a claim with Dejardins
you will find out rly fast why ur rate was so good
you can ask any body shop or accident benefits lawyer how they treat customers when they make a claim
most legar reps dont even want to take ur case when they hear Dejardins

Last edited:
Rule #1 is not to make a claim. If it's a no-fault claim they will not have much choice but to cover it, will not cost them anything anyway. At any rate, I am willing to take the chance ... everything in life is a calculated risk.

I've heard bad rep pretty much about any insurance company on the Ontario market .... they are all the same, six to half dozen.

Edit: I looked a bit further into your claim and while they are clearly not near the top .. .the difference is such small when you look at the scores that it's not worth mentioning ... http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2013-canadian-auto-insurance-satisfaction-study

Just a reminder ... I am going from TD .... which scored just above Desjardins .... LOL ... it really doesn't matter much ... what matters more is, what exactly you are paying for as far as your coverage.

Last edited:
I switched everything to Allstate and saved a lot. Even as a p.eng I was not saving anything with TD.

Got mine yesterday. $1559 compared to 1496 last year. No changes to policy. Shopped around cheapest I found was cibc at 1098. Can't figure out why the big difference.

Desjardins

These guys raised my premium in the MIDDLE of a policy year, because I got a minor speeding ticket. By $800! I was young, was paying $5400/yr for insurance back then. Now I am 24, happily committed to TD, but will be shopping soon since rates are increasing for no reason!!

At 24 I wouldn't expect a great rate either. Just sayin.

Mine went way down with TD this year. It's the only part of getting older that's enjoyable

my and my GF both have claims with them both not at fault
her claim is just over a year her car is still not fixed
mine is coming up to a year and my car is not fixed also

Rule #1 is not to make a claim. If it's a no-fault claim they will not have much choice but to cover it, will not cost them anything anyway. At any rate, I am willing to take the chance ... everything in life is a calculated risk.

I've heard bad rep pretty much about any insurance company on the Ontario market .... they are all the same, six to half dozen.

Edit: I looked a bit further into your claim and while they are clearly not near the top .. .the difference is such small when you look at the scores that it's not worth mentioning ... http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2013-canadian-auto-insurance-satisfaction-study

Just a reminder ... I am going from TD .... which scored just above Desjardins .... LOL ... it really doesn't matter much ... what matters more is, what exactly you are paying for as far as your coverage.

Back
Top Bottom