Many vehicles - tips for cheaper insurance? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Many vehicles - tips for cheaper insurance?

unL33T

Just curious if there are any hints/tips/tricks to getting lower rates if you own, say 4+ vehicles just for you? The 5-15% multivehicle discounts really don't help much.

Dealers must have it nice to be able to slap a dealer plate on anything and take it home. Heck, one of them told me they don't even need to worry about etests or safety inspections (I sold him a junker because I couldn't get it safetied since it was falling apart due to rust, he slapped a dealer plate on it and uses it as his DD, not that you can't buy a safety anyway).

I guess if I had a proper garage that would help since Silver Wheels on my 944 is only a few hundred a year but that only helps for way old vehicles and I doubt they cover bikes (but I never asked).

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you. I have five vehicles and currently can't afford to have them fully insured at all times as this would cost me over $5500 per year. Fleet insurance is much cheaper but it is for five or more vehicles that are primarily used for business purposes. The way that it is currently set up, you can't add a personal vehicle to a fleet policy. Would be nice if some insurance company would help us out and allow us to do that.

I don't know of any insurance company that will insure multiple vehicles, for the price of one or two.
If you want to drive any of the vehicles at any given time, they all need to be insured, no way around it.

You can all blame the few people that have 2 or 3 vehicles and failed to disclosed all the other drivers that reside in the home.

Just register for a company name, transfer all your cars under the company, and buy fleet insurance.

I called around last week for insurance rates as mine is up next month. Can't recall if it was TD or TDMM but the agent stated for a small fee ($150ish) I could add as many other bikes to the policy as I wanted. Given my track bike isn't insured I tuned out when I heard this part but I suggest you giving them a call.

I called around last week for insurance rates as mine is up next month. Can't recall if it was TD or TDMM but the agent stated for a small fee ($150ish) I could add as many other bikes to the policy as I wanted. Given my track bike isn't insured I tuned out when I heard this part but I suggest you giving them a call.
Was that $150 per month or per year?

Was it for more than 1 bike, or it has to be many bikes

Doubt it very much, however if true, good find.

Personally I have 5 vehicles insured full time and one with fire and theft. The one with fire and theft I call and add full coverage when I want to drive it for the weekend. I've never been charged extra for adding collison and liability and the fire and theft only costs $9 a month. I was in an accident about 10 years with said coverage and no issue making a claim.

Personally I have 5 vehicles insured full time and one with fire and theft. The one with fire and theft I call and add full coverage when I want to drive it for the weekend. I've never been charged extra for adding collison and liability and the fire and theft only costs $9 a month. I was in an accident about 10 years with said coverage and no issue making a claim.
What company? Most won't let you simply put them on and off the road at a moment's notice without paying big penalties.

What company? Most won't let you simply put them on and off the road at a moment's notice without paying big penalties.

State Farm. Loyalty and a slightly higher premium pays for itself. I even have used their financing which tends to be very competitve. I've never been to their office as they always do things electronically or they come directly to me. Its rare these days but I feel more than a number to them.

TDMM lets me add insurance with less than 24 hours notice and no penalties. I can only do it a limited number of times a year though, they won't play the weekend game anymore.

TDMM will only cover three bikes at a time, beyond that they consider it a fleet scenario, or so they tell me.

TDMM lets me add insurance with less than 24 hours notice and no penalties. I can only do it a limited number of times a year though, they won't play the weekend game anymore.

I can add insurance with no notice (although they get all cranky if I don't call at least the day before) but if I take a vehicle off the road it has to be for 60 days or they'll charge me for the 60 days anyway.

They've also let me retroactively take a vehicle off the road, once, which was nice. Second time I tried it they wouldn't do it, though.

Most insurance companies will accommodate a long term client that has a vehicle with only Fire/Theft if he wants to drive the car once in awhile, however if you're planning on doing it every weekend, they would want coverage to be added full time.

Most insurance companies will accommodate a long term client that has a vehicle with only Fire/Theft if he wants to drive the car once in awhile, however if you're planning on doing it every weekend, they would want coverage to be added full time.

Yes I would prefer to not have to worry about it and just go, "I want to take that one to work today."

when i was on my course last spring, the instructor pointed out that most people have liability coverage on each of their vehicles. this means that with 4+ vehicles, you have 4+ liability policies. you should be able to save a few bucks by getting a single "umbrella" policy to cover all your vehicles together.

I wonder if that's actually the case since I only have one policy with different vehicles under it, with different coverages.

Back
Top Bottom