Target canada closing stores!! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Target canada closing stores!!

Target: classic case of not doing homework before opening up shop here.

In other news, Sony is shutting ALL their canadian stores as well. Never understood the purpose of the Sony store. Overpriced crap, and better deals at independents anyway.

Let me take a shot at this.
On paper we look like easy marks and will pay way more than than the value.
They paint an image that Canadians have money to burn and the hipster type image.

Some of those stores are also just for presence and image.

Sony tried to do what Honda tried and failed.
They are trying to position their generic run of the mill mass produced brand as a premiere elite to be have brand.
Clearly that failed but hey the people at the top will rinse and repeat.

Just how the hell do we sustain all these stores for such a small population.

Could the tanking dollar and the fact that Canadians are running a ridiculous 160% personal debt to income ratio have anything to do with their lackluster earnings?

no surprise they used the same model that failed zellers.

This is what surprised me the most... they move into properties where a similar store tanked and was getting no business. If they were smarter about the locations and didnt rush into the market they would have done MUCH better. Location Location Location... If the Walmart at say Markville mall was a Target it would be doing the same business the Walmart does now yet the Target stores ive seen are in terrible spots in run down malls/plazas

Target opened way too many stores way too fast and as said above used the same.business model as zellers. I'm shocked they lasted this long.

Target, 17,000
Mexx, 1,800
Suncor, 1,000
Shell, 300
Sony, 90

bad day all round, alot of jobless people, immigration at an all time high but apparently we're doin well according to the politicians!! WTF

Target, 17,000
Mexx, 1,800
Suncor, 1,000
Shell, 300
Sony, 90

bad day all round, alot of jobless people, immigration at an all time high but apparently we're doin well according to the politicians!! WTF
Don't worry. They'll just let more people come here as the jobs decrease. Wouldn't wan to offend anyone now. It's canadia after all :rolleyes:

Don't worry. They'll just let more people come here as the jobs decrease. Wouldn't wan to offend anyone now. It's canadia after all :rolleyes:

that's ok, they've sold the country to the chinese. those people can now go work for the new chinese owners.

if they ran target canada like they ran target USA they might have had a fighting chance.

Agreed. The first time I walked into a target here was Guelph and out loud I said to my friend "wtf is this" nothing like the us store. I'm amused now at all the money they spent acquiring stores and remodeling just to close em down now. Idiots

Target had a bad business launch, failed to address the challenges out of the gate and had a market perception of a Zellers do over. In giant retail worlds the losses are staggering , but walmart must be dancing a jig around the head office. Its the 17,000? CDNs I feel for, many came over from Zellers and will be truly screwed by this. $70,000,000. for severances. Yikes.

Target had a bad business launch, failed to address the challenges out of the gate and had a market perception of a Zellers do over. In giant retail worlds the losses are staggering , but walmart must be dancing a jig around the head office. Its the 17,000? CDNs I feel for, many came over from Zellers and will be truly screwed by this. $70,000,000. for severances. Yikes.

The severances are the only fair shakes the employees got out of the deal.

well I am sure Target profited with their stocks going up back when they moved to Canada, and now they can buy back the same stocks at lower price as I am sure they will go down.

I was probably Target's number customer (what an achievement). It was right next door to my gym, so I'd just pop in after a work out with the wifey and grab a tshirt at $3, or a cheapie hoodie, work out shirts for under $5, basics. Sometimes you'd find a gem or two in shirts for next to nothing (polos were decent).

They're furniture was pretty decent, particularily the Beaver Creek line fit our house style so we liked.

I'm going to miss it.

Back
Top Bottom