Target canada closing stores!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Target canada closing stores!!

I feel bad for the people who worked at Target Canada and their families. I hope they are able to find something comparable sooner.

Good riddance. They did nothing for the Canadian market. They had lousy products at higher prices. Goodbye, so long, don't come back.

bring back Canadian stores!

Brick and mortar stores don't make a lot of sense in Canada. In Canada, especially GTA, there ridiculous rents, high cost of leasehold improvements, competition, wages, property taxes, TMI etc... Very hard for a store to stay profitable when compared to somewhere like south western Ontario.

Good riddance.

I always found the people working for the corporate office to think far too highly of themselves/Target. Almost like they were the Goldman Sachs of retail here in Canada.
It's going to be a shaky summer for retail recruitment.

I don't mind Target US...but Canadian target stores were the worst...never stocked well, merchandise selection way lower and more expensive, i've walked in several times to get something but they don't carry it at that store. Their locations are quite terrible too (Except sq1 obviously)

They never brought in the cool affordable products from designers like Alexander McQueen and Philippe Starck. That would've really set themselves apart from other retailers. Instead they just positioned themselves as just another discount box store except Walmart has that market locked.

They had cool T-shirts.

Just bought a few more. They were tailored longer, which worked better for my deadly long torso/fat belly combo.
Liked how clean the stores were, but could not shake the kmart vibe, which I disliked. And the fact that they didn't / couldn't keep the same pricing model as the states, they were doomed.
Heard this rumour last week. Asked one of the employees about it on Monday, they said no way, as they were building new stores. Must have blind sided a bunch of employees.

I found some good stuff there. I hope the employees can do well from the misfortune.

I feel bad for the people who worked at Target Canada and their families. I hope they are able to find something comparable sooner.
I heard they get 16 wks of severance. Sounds good to me
I guess they didn't meet their target
Ba dum tsssss

... Asked one of the employees about it on Monday, they said no way, as they were building new stores. Must have blind sided a bunch of employees.

Saw a friend post on facebook just at the new years that she was given a permanent ft position... guess the permanent was a bit of an overstatement...

is there any implication to hiring like this with dismissal so soon? what happens if somebody left a job to a company that closes its doors shortly after? Sorry not an HR or employment law expert...

Last edited:
Saw a friend post on facebook just at the new years that she was given a permanent ft position... guess the permanent was a bit of an overstatement...

is there any implication to hiring liker this with dismissal so soon? what happens if somebody left a job to a company that closes its doors shortly after? Sorry not an HR or employment law expert...

I would have to assume that the hiring was done in good faith. I truly believe that if you weren't in the top tier of the company, you were not aware of this.
However, I would think that as an employee, you may be able to gauge sales.
Nothing that I was taught in hr would affect your question. The only recourse I could see is if you could a) prove they knew they were closing and still took you on full time and/or b) it was negotiated beforehand.

is there any implication to hiring liker this with dismissal so soon? what happens if somebody left a job to a company that closes its doors shortly after? Sorry not an HR or employment law expert...

Employee is SOL. Unless they intentionally sold it to her when the hiring manager was advised of the shutdown, even then it's a long uphill battle.

Employee is SOL. Unless they intentionally sold it to her when the hiring manager was advised of the shutdown, even then it's a long uphill battle.

Kind of what I would think too, hey at least she will see 16 weeks severance with only being there 3 weeks FT + whatever time it takes to shut down operations

Target: classic case of not doing homework before opening up shop here.

In other news, Sony is shutting ALL their canadian stores as well. Never understood the purpose of the Sony store. Overpriced crap, and better deals at independents anyway.

Is it the long winters that is making 'em run away or the taxes plus high rents? If they keep closing like this then I have a bad feeling. Remember sears also closed a bunch of stores last year.

Back
Top Bottom