BIKE SPECIFIC Side Rack project: need HELP | GTAMotorcycle.com

BIKE SPECIFIC Side Rack project: need HELP

Ramtin

Hi guys...

so i'm looking to install a side rack system on my 2013 ER6N... please read carefully before replying cause this is a very specific project and you'll know why soon...

after doing a lot of research i have found only two companies making side rack for this year and model:

1. GIVI : http://www.aviciouscycle.ca/mainpages/productpage.aspx?productid=4646
2. Hepco & Becker : http://www.motomachines.com/Lock-it-Side-Carrier--Kawasaki-ER-6n-f-from-12_p_2850.html

now what's special about this is that i wanna install THIS exact mounting system to the rack:
http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/quick-release-mounting-kit-for-2-cases-sidecase-setup (this only fits GIVI and SW Motech racks)

problem with this is that the only available GIVI rack for this bike is not compatible with it
and the Hepco & Becker rack, well according to Twisted Throttle is not compatible either

i don't wanna use the V35s from GIVI because i think they're too small and ugly, so that's why i'm doing this (V35 is the only compatible case with this rack)

my idea is to somehow modify the GIVI hopefully to fit this quick release system... this way i can add any case i want... heck i can even put on a HUSKY or a DEWALT! lol... can anyone help me with this? ideas, if you do live in east end of Toronto i'm even willing to pay you for your time for this.

my main concern is quick release and waterproof!

shoot!

Last edited:
I don't really understand what you mean about how you said you'd modify the GIVI rack but the H&B one looks like it's too flush with the bike to work with that top mount lock thing.

I can't find any half decent pics of the GIVI rack to say whether it might be able to be modified or not.

I don't really understand what you mean about how you said you'd modify the GIVI rack but the H&B one looks like it's too flush with the bike to work with that top mount lock thing.

I can't find any half decent pics of the GIVI rack to say whether it might be able to be modified or not.

i think the GIVI is out. i just spoke to Twisted Throttle. they're saying that for the amount of modification u have to do to the GIVI, u might as well start from scratch :S still waiting for dimensions for the H&B. :(

i think the GIVI is out. i just spoke to Twisted Throttle. they're saying that for the amount of modification u have to do to the GIVI, u might as well start from scratch :S still waiting for dimensions for the H&B. :(

The dimensions aren't even the problem with the H&B. It sits under the tail, as far as I can tell from the pics, which would make mounting and accessing the lock a pain in the butt. Guess I could be seeing the pics wrong, though.

If you don't want them easily removable I think the H&B would work fine with just any old case without going with that extra quick release part.

If you've got some better pics/diagrams/instructions for the GIVI, that might help.

Last edited:
The dimensions aren't even the problem with the H&B. It sits under the tail, as far as I can tell from the pics, which would make mounting and accessing the lock a pain in the butt. Guess I could be seeing the pics wrong, though.

If you don't want them easily removable I think the H&B would work fine with just any old case without going with that extra quick release part.

If you've got some better pics/diagrams/instructions for the GIVI, that might help.

GIVI doesn't have much info. the H&B looks more promising and i THINK that the reason you think it sits under the tail is because of the angle the picture was taken... i'll reply back when i have more info on the H&B... do you think if the dimensions aren't right, we could somehow mount this bracket on the H&B regardless with some modification?

Do a Google image search on "GIVI v35" and look at the shots of the bikes from the rear. The problem with the PLX rack is that the bottom of the rack swoops in towards the rear tire. This is why this rack is only compatible with the v35 case. This appears to be the selling feature of the v35/PLX, since the bags fit closer to the bike than all other aftermarket bags/racks.

Just about every other aftermarket bag/rack combo uses a flat-backed bag. If you Google image search "GIVI rack" you'll see that the old style rack sides are basically vertical, and they mate up with a flat-backed case. The H&B rack also appears to be flat and vertical. If you want to easily mount up any random case with a quick disconnect, then the H&B rack is a better place to start.

If you want to use the PLX rack with a random flatbacked case you'll have to fill in the space at the bottom of the rack with something (so the bags hang vertically), or live with the bags hanging at an angle (where the bottoms of the bags will be tilted in towards the rear wheel). Either option seems possible, but it sounds like a lot of fiddly work if you want to rig up a quick disconnect latch.

Do a Google image search on "GIVI v35" and look at the shots of the bikes from the rear. The problem with the PLX rack is that the bottom of the rack swoops in towards the rear tire. This is why this rack is only compatible with the v35 case. This appears to be the selling feature of the v35/PLX, since the bags fit closer to the bike than all other aftermarket bags/racks.

Just about every other aftermarket bag/rack combo uses a flat-backed bag. If you Google image search "GIVI rack" you'll see that the old style rack sides are basically vertical, and they mate up with a flat-backed case. The H&B rack also appears to be flat and vertical. If you want to easily mount up any random case with a quick disconnect, then the H&B rack is a better place to start.

If you want to use the PLX rack with a random flatbacked case you'll have to fill in the space at the bottom of the rack with something (so the bags hang vertically), or live with the bags hanging at an angle (where the bottoms of the bags will be tilted in towards the rear wheel). Either option seems possible, but it sounds like a lot of fiddly work if you want to rig up a quick disconnect latch.

i know exactly what u mean and that's not the only problem... second problem is that the space between the top and bottom rail on this specific GIVI is not the same as this quick release bracket. so that's why i'm crossing GIVI out. but i had that same idea before.

Assuming the quick release hardware fits within the frame of the GIVI (so that it doesn't hit the curved portions) you could make it work with a flat adapter plate. But it will look bad when the bags aren't on. I'm thinking something like this:

rack.jpg

Green is the adapter plate, blue is the bike-side quick release hardware, purple the box-side quick release hardware, red is the box. Of course the box would also have to clear those curves. If it doesn't you'll have to space out the bottom (you'll also have to do that if you want the box to hang straight rather than angled). Shouldn't be a big deal.

If accessing the top of the H&B is not a problem, it would be a better option since it is flat. The adapter plate idea would work for that one, too. Again, it would still look terrible when the boxes are removed from the bike since you'd have two big flat plates on either side. Although depending on what hardware you use to secure them to the rack they might also be easily removable.

Actually from looking at that pic again I'm thinking the GIVI is not only narrower at the bottom but also at the rear? That might be too complex for an adapter plate after all.

Actually from looking at that pic again I'm thinking the GIVI is not only narrower at the bottom but also at the rear? That might be too complex for an adapter plate after all.

that's what i'm saying, forget the GIVI stick to the H&B

that's what i'm saying, forget the GIVI stick to the H&B

Could always space out the adapter plate to provide enough clearance for the top lock, if its a problem.

Could always space out the adapter plate to provide enough clearance for the top lock, if its a problem.
yeah i might have to do that on the H&B. just gotta wait for the dimensions

If you are dead set on using a generic bag with a quick disconnect, then making your own rack is a pretty good option. I've used cheap metal electrical conduit and a pipe bender to make a bracket to support my soft saddlebags. You could fairly easily (and cheaply!) prototype a rack out of 1" conduit, and bolt the GIVI adapter kit to that. If you pack lightly you might be able to use it for real, or just bring it to a welding shop to be made out of proper steel. The materials (conduit, bolts and pipe bender) are only a few bucks.

If that quick release thing can be mounted with the lock facing the rear of the bike instead of upwards that might also help with clearance. You would just remove the box by releasing the lock and pulling backward/up (due to the angle of the frame) instead of releasing and pulling upwards. I guess it depends on how strong the lock is. They do say it's designed to break away in a fall but it must be strong enough to prevent the box from bouncing off on a hard bump or being easily stolen (otherwise why bother having a lock?).

If you are dead set on using a generic bag with a quick disconnect, then making your own rack is a pretty good option. I've used cheap metal electrical conduit and a pipe bender to make a bracket to support my soft saddlebags. You could fairly easily (and cheaply!) prototype a rack out of 1" conduit, and bolt the GIVI adapter kit to that. If you pack lightly you might be able to use it for real, or just bring it to a welding shop to be made out of proper steel. The materials (conduit, bolts and pipe bender) are only a few bucks.

I agree. I mean if this guy can rig something up at home, I'm sure Ramtin can figure something out.
T8ysO7Q.jpg

I personally just use soft carry on luggage and some bungee cords and I've got much less to work with.

I agree. I mean if this guy can rig something up at home, I'm sure Ramtin can figure something out.
T8ysO7Q.jpg

LMFAO! he's got a helmet too!

wait scratch that idea... that Motech top rack requires the fender to be there.. which i removed.. DAMN IT WHAT THE ****!!???

Handling with a giant top case will be dodgy. On the Ape, with a Givi top case mounted it would start to squirm over 200. With just side cases (or no cases), this didn't happen.

Handling with a giant top case will be dodgy. On the Ape, with a Givi top case mounted it would start to squirm over 200. With just side cases (or no cases), this didn't happen.

yeah no i think we're sticking to the side case idea lol

Back
Top Bottom