Stocks | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stocks

I know how it works. I was just asking GG. It seemed too predictable to not play the downside.
So is the bait to a fish.

best bet is to start young, research some companies and pick for the long haul.
if you're more ambitious, find a cyclical industry that's about to turn around.

That easy eh???

Dividends are to investing, like "location" is to buying a home. For the long haul.
Or. You can get lucky. Buy a **** ton of company "x" for $0.16. Sell all for $25.00.

Last edited:
That easy eh???
If it was, we'd all be Billionaires by now.

when I did my course (back when it was a single black book), one of the companies we studied was Bombardier, just as it was starting to hit its growth cycle.

Amen brother. Try using rbc express total fail. Waste of money for me.

What stopped me from setting it up with RBC is their inability to make a working website. I tried to do their 10 minute signup at least 15 times before eventually giving up after multiple glitches, freezing etc. Don't even get me started on their terrible Online Banking site -- Disaster. Rather than calling and having to deal with them, I figured I'd do a little searching and came across this http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ne-brokerage-survey/article15499322/?page=all which names VB as the top brokerage company. So I ended up, in a fraction of the time it took me to set up an account with RBC, making an account for this. I'll let you know how it goes.

RBC says this on their website

• All RBC Direct Investing clients enjoy a low commission of $9.95 flat CDN or US for each online and mobile equity trade[SUP]1[/SUP] with no minimum balance or trading activity required. Plus, when you trade 150 times or more per quarter, you pay $6.95 flat CDN or US per Canadian or US equity trade[SUP]1[/SUP].
I'm guessing they charge per trade?

Also according to the list on the globe and mail publication, Virtual Brokers' charges
31,203 dollars for every 1000 shares of a hypothetical 30 dollar microsoft share and RBC charges 31,191 dollars -- not too bad of a difference IMO.

Well... I mean, I'm not putting my money on the line to break even or to lose it all. Though I openly accept the fact that these are two possibilities and risks I'm willing to take for a potential smart investment.

Just for clarification since I'm new: how do you lose all your money in stocks? Do stocks ever drop to 0 per share or is that if a company goes bankrupt or shuts down or something. I know you can lose a lot of money but if is it common to lose ALL the money?

Just for clarification since I'm new: how do you lose all your money in stocks? Do stocks ever drop to 0 per share or is that if a company goes bankrupt or shuts down or something. I know you can lose a lot of money but if is it common to lose ALL the money?

Bre-x comes quickly to mind. I had a mutual fund at the time that turned out to be 60% Bre-X. How the hell is that even possible. They are all crooks, I stay away from mutual funds now.

As far as most of your money, I know people that bought RIM at ~$50 thinking there was no way they could lose, they have lost 90% of their money and the odds are long that they get back to breakeven. Similar situation to Nortel (people said there was no way Nortel would drop south of $40).

From a financial perspective losing 90 or 100% isn't much different, it will take years to recover.

A properly diversified portfolio evens out the ups and downs. Even if one stock goes to zero, the other ones survive and allow you to keep trying. Properly designed/managed ETF's/mutual funds really are a lot safer and should produce better returns over the long haul than an individual picking a few stocks.

Last edited:
Even if they get to $50 at RIM share the inflation over time that's still going to make it a loss lol. Sell and move on. Lots of good biotech stocks that will yield great returns this year.

Bre-x comes quickly to mind. I had a mutual fund at the time that turned out to be 60% Bre-X. How the hell is that even possible. They are all crooks, I stay away from mutual funds now.

As far as most of your money, I know people that bought RIM at ~$50 thinking there was no way they could lose, they have lost 90% of their money and the odds are long that they get back to breakeven. Similar situation to Nortel (people say there was no way Nortel would drop south of $40).

From a financial perspective losing 90 or 100% isn't much different, it will takes years to recover.

IMO with the Samsung S6 around the corner followed by the iPhone 6s in the summer, RIM just doesn't have what it takes to gain marketshare. Mobile phones have reached a level where the phone does more than a consumer can ever want. Apple and Samsung have already moved onto complimentary product offerings (smart watch), while RIM is still trying to win a customer base with their flagship phone.

Heck, Apple and Samsung can both offer the exact same phones as they do now in a new color scheme and they will still sell more than a brand-new RIM offering. Sad, but true.

Even if they get to $50 at RIM share the inflation over time that's still going to make it a loss lol. Sell and move on. Lots of good biotech stocks that will yield great returns this year.

After working for a Biotech and listening to endless positive spin in the marketplace even when the company had zilch in terms of something novel....I'll not trust any news except from scientific sources on these things again. Frankly the stock system isn't set up for Joe Public to make money from, it's for the big traders to play with and use the public to move their prices and for banks to make money by gouging on service and administration fees.

If you are interested in penny stocks on the cse, follow my buddy on Twitter @CDNXTracker. He's had some good tips. Bought in at an ipo of $0.25 and shot up to $0.75 in 3 months. Too bad I got greedy ? Still holding it at $0.43
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

If you are interested in penny stocks on the cse, follow my buddy on Twitter @CDNXTracker. He's had some good tips. Bought in at an ipo of $0.25 and shot up to $0.75 in 3 months. Too bad I got greedy ? Still holding it at $0.43 Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk
The problem with following someone, is that if you don't catch up, they'll eventually be selling, what you're buying, or vice versa.

The problem with following someone, is that if you don't catch up, they'll eventually be selling, what you're buying, or vice versa.

Yes. Totally agree. And he always told me that he is suggesting his buys, the sells are up to you.
He sold some when it hit $0.75.
I didn't.

If you are interested in penny stocks on the cse, follow my buddy on Twitter @CDNXTracker. He's had some good tips. Bought in at an ipo of $0.25 and shot up to $0.75 in 3 months. Too bad I got greedy ? Still holding it at $0.43
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Where do you trade those?

Where do you trade those?

I use TD, but they don't trade cse online, yet. Have to call them in. And a higher fee. There are others, I believe online that do, but kinda lazy to look into it. Not day trading, just putting a little $ and trying to hit. More like gambling, I guess.

Another question, if I place an order on limit stocks and they never end up going to the price I set, can I take my money back or is that money gone?

Another question, if I place an order on limit stocks and they never end up going to the price I set, can I take my money back or is that money gone?

If you don't get filled, your money didn't go anywhere. It's still yours.
There are many online sites where you can build a "fantasy" portfolio, and trade to your heart's delight.
Might be worth a shot. Then pony up in the real world.
Just my $0.02

For those of us who don't have enough invested to quit our real jobs (includes me), "stink bids" are one way to go. You set the limit on what you want to pay and the date that the order is good until, and if it doesn't get filled, nothing happens. Same thing on the sell side. The order sits there while you do your real job. If the order expires without being filled, you pay nothing. If just ONE share of your order gets filled, you pay the commission ... doesn't happen very often, but it could.

I have had strange things happen, usually on lower-volume small caps. All it takes is for the market to run out of buyers or sellers for that stock, and some clown to submit a market order (or someone absolutely has to get in or out for some reason). Their loss, your gain. Never use market orders.

Back
Top Bottom