Reflector/Tape: Choice of colour(s)? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Reflector/Tape: Choice of colour(s)?

BRT

Am looking to put either reflectors or reflective tape onto a set of new luggage (with no lights/ no reflectors). I know a lot of people use black reflective tape, which reflects white at night. However, if I use actual (plastic) reflectors:

-
Are there laws/restrictions regarding colours and placement - on the sides, front, backs (of luggage)?

- Do I have to stick with red or orange/amber on the rear of the luggage, or can I opt for white or silver (as
I understand that the lighter the colour, the higher the reflectivity/visibility)?

Thanks, in advance!!!

There is nothing in the HTA concerning the colours of reflectors. Legally, you can do whatever you want. Confusing other drivers is a bad idea regardless of legality.

The Federal standard CMVSS 108 addresses colours of the reflectors that are required on new vehicles. Using colours that are consistent with CMVSS 108 will avoid confusion to other drivers.

If you want to to make selections that are consistent with CMVSS 108: Red for rear-facing, white or amber for front-facing. Side facing reflectors red if they are near the rear extremity, and amber otherwise.

Lots of trailers have reflective tape consisting of red and white sections. Half of the reflective are is not the usual rear-facing colour, but half of it is.

Back
Top Bottom