Dealer makes an final invoice lower price mistake? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dealer makes an final invoice lower price mistake?

Riceburner

So what happens when an auto dealer makes a final invoice at pickup for a bit lower than the discussed deal? You make a deal for "X" amount and put a deposit down. Then when you go in to take delivery they do an invoice for "Y" amount less. Not financed, cash deal purchase. Salesman says "we reworked it and gave you a better deal, please sign off". You sign off and pay the new lower amount and drive away. Then a week later they call to say...oops we made a mistake, can we have the "Y" amount now? I'm thinking, "Nope, you gave a new price and it's all paid for". Thoughts?

So what happens when an auto dealer makes a final invoice at pickup for a bit lower than the discussed deal? You make a deal for "X" amount and put a deposit down. Then when you go in to take delivery they do an invoice for "Y" amount less. Not financed, cash deal purchase. Salesman says "we reworked it and gave you a better deal, please sign off". You sign off and pay the new lower amount and drive away. Then a week later they call to say...oops we made a mistake, can we have the "Y" amount now? I'm thinking, "Nope, you gave a new price and it's all paid for". Thoughts?
If they clearly stated that they re-worked it before you signed it and the only paper you signed off on was amount "Y", you have been honest and straightforward with them.

When a grocery store ****s up on a sale they don't ask you to reimburse them the difference.

I'm thinking, "Nope, you gave a new price and it's all paid for". Thoughts?

Had something somewhat similar happen recently. I would suspect not an honest mistake but a third person got wind of the deal and said "no way, go get the money back". I'd want to hear a very compelling story to even consider giving the money back. I did but it was a very small amount.

They did all the paperwork and calculations and printout of invoice. So I'd agree, their mistake, their loss.

Not even giving the $ back...was never paid in the first place. Salesman beamed that he's never given this good a deal. Guess he was right. lol

When a grocery store ****s up on a sale they don't ask you to reimburse them the difference.

I am with you on this statement! ... Lumber store under charged me,, I asked twice to be sure the price was correct... and then the manager calls and says ooops.. so I said... come get your Fn 2x4s back! .. he says ,,nope, they'll lien the job site! F hoff!

And,, the Hydro forgot a line on the bill... for 11mths... then they send a bill for the charge they forgot! $9k ! ... oh, DUE NOW!!! F hoff ! I talked them into 11mths to pay... jayZUS!

I hope your deal is solid!

I am with you on this statement! ... Lumber store under charged me,, I asked twice to be sure the price was correct... and then the manager calls and says ooops.. so I said... come get your Fn 2x4s back! .. he says ,,nope, they'll lien the job site! F hoff!

And,, the Hydro forgot a line on the bill... for 11mths... then they send a bill for the charge they forgot! $9k ! ... oh, DUE NOW!!! F hoff ! I talked them into 11mths to pay... jayZUS!

I hope your deal is solid!

Did hydro try to charge you interest? Please look and let us know.
I wonder is this is new scam they do, oh we forgot to bill you or computer error so please pay us x months later BUT now they tack on interest saying you owe them those monies from day 1. Now they make even more money from you.

I had the dealer call and tell me they found another 1000 rebate on the truck I had bought a few months earlier. They mailed me a cheque made me a happy customer.

sent from a device using a program

How much money are we talking here? A lot?

I think I would hear them out at the very least. I think you're in a position where you could barter with them and maybe get even more value than the difference in price they're asking for. Depending on the numbers you might be able to request free oil changes for life, snow tires, accessories, etc in return for working it out with them.

Check the documents for a clause about "Errors and omissions" which would give the dealer leverage for getting their mistake corrected at your expense. Sometimes it just shows as E&O in fine print.

I've missed items on invoices when I bill contractors and have never messed them up by re-billing. The amounts weren't life changing for me and I consider it as part of my business education, potential systems error correction etc.

One thing not being mentioned is whether this is a one off error on the dealer's part or a massive screw-up. If some clerk had erroneously applied a rebate to hundreds of cars and the factory nixed the deals, the dealer could be losing massive amounts. Their only recourse would be to go after each sale.

I would want a full explanation on what happened. If it was a one off error I would question the stability of the dealership for them going after a small amount.

To the dealers credit they thought they found some savings and passed them (Erroneously) on to you instead of keeping them. I would cut them some slack if given a good explanation.

It was just a couple of grand. Basically paid staff price if their statements at negotiation time was accurate. Judging from the online dealer cost sites it was. One time error on their part.

No bartering. just going to another dealership for service now. I wouldn't trust them again.

Get this the business manager(the guy that does the paperwork after the salesman) threatened to send a tow truck. I said that would be theft. He got all flustered when I said what was invoiced is what was paid. They actually still owe me a couple of hundred refund on my credit card too.

On a cash deal... they have no recourse. The deal is done, the goods have been delivered, and paid for.

Transaction is completed.

Even to ask for more money now is pure stupidity.

It was just a couple of grand. Basically paid staff price if their statements at negotiation time was accurate. Judging from the online dealer cost sites it was. One time error on their part.

No bartering. just going to another dealership for service now. I wouldn't trust them again.

Get this the business manager(the guy that does the paperwork after the salesman) threatened to send a tow truck. I said that would be theft. He got all flustered when I said what was invoiced is what was paid. They actually still owe me a couple of hundred refund on my credit card too.

Are they giving you any trouble on the refund?

Would be curious to know which dealer this is as well

FWIW curiosity killed the cat.

I wasn't even the purchaser of the vehicle. Put the deposit on my card cause the buyer didn't have theirs with them. They charged my cerdit card for the difference and added in the retail price of an accessory that was negotiated into the original deal. CC company can't do anything till it's ""posted", it's in "pending" state now, but still used up my credit limit. Police report for theft and maybe threat, pending. Refund has been MIA the whole time. Reported to Toyota Canada, but their ETA is a week or so. I'll out the dealership eventually.

I wasn't even the purchaser of the vehicle. Put the deposit on my card cause the buyer didn't have theirs with them. They charged my cerdit card for the difference and added in the retail price of an accessory that was negotiated into the original deal. CC company can't do anything till it's ""posted", it's in "pending" state now, but still used up my credit limit. Police report for theft and maybe threat, pending. Refund has been MIA the whole time. Reported to Toyota Canada, but their ETA is a week or so. I'll out the dealership eventually.

Oh man, credit card disputes and chargebacks are a witch.
Im glad i dont work in those anymore

Last edited:
My parents had something similar happen with a Toyota dealer a few years ago. Maybe it's a thing they do. Only in their case a manager came out after all the paperwork and been signed and whatnot but no money had been transferred yet and told my parents they couldn't have the vehicle chosen for the price that was agreed upon because it was a mistake and was too low. Offered them one with a lower package for the same money or the same one for more money. Parents ******* them out and then left. This was after they went in to buy a Yaris and ended up agreeing to a Prius for 3x the money. Dealership's loss.

Actually 2 other dealerships also screwed them around (but not as bad) so they ended up just buying a used Yaris for $5k from a used dealership they had good experience with before. Apparently it's hard to get someone to take your money these days, lol.

Last edited:
No taksie backsie.

You paid, have a receipt. If it's all kosher with what you signed in the end, that's that. The rest is on them.

I had a similar issue but the price magically increased when we went to pick up the car. Long story short, they worked their magic math again and everything was back to what we agreed upon. Just trying to squeeze a few more $$ out.

If the rolls were reversed, how amenable would the dealership be then?
I had to sign 7 or 8 versions of a contract when I got my vehicle - wrong finance rate, wrong deposit amount, etc. There was no financial gain or loss. The end amount was exactly the same on all versions, so I was fine with it.

Back
Top Bottom