Counter Top - Brampton | GTAMotorcycle.com

Counter Top - Brampton

frekeyguy

Looking to change up my old lady blue laminate counter tops to some with white stone . I’m fairly handy with renovation work - but I’ve never done the whole counter top re-vamp.

I want to keep my wood cabinets and put on some light stone top and I will re-do the back splash myself.

1. Would you have a stone person do the install ? I can rip out the old counter.
2. Anyone you can recommend in the Brampton area ? There must be quite a few ppl no ?
3. I’m not fussy on the type of stone, nature of man made – which would be the best option if I am on a tight budget ?
4. Would need a under mount sink – it would make clean up a breeze!

Colour I like : http://server1.oghhk.com/images/www...ceStone-Alpine-White-Luxe-Lab-Countertops.jpg

Anyone you can recommend in the brampton area ?

I don't know anyone in Brampton, but in my 10 years of custom kitchen and interiors the quality of stone/granite jobs have been abysmal at best. Way to many companies started and little to no experience apparently needed. It's to the point in which my company will no longer contract the granite for the costumer anymore. Be careful, you generally will not get what you are paying for anymore.

be careful in the Brampton/ airport market for stone tops, there are probably 100? guys doing granite and quartz. You can now source 25" x 96" granite blanks from asia and they own a 4" grinder and a tube of silicone and are in business, Seams everywhere and pretty ugly finished product. The cost to get into the business used to be 500K for a gantry saw and WC router, now it comes in a box. You do not get what you pay for always.

For cabinetry north GTA maybe call Mother Hubbards cupboards, or Southbrook cabinets (pretty low cost) and talk to Kesh. Cabinet cost is ALL over the map, and the things to look for are hinges ( blum or grass are now about $1.50 ea and guess will use a crap .80 cent hinge because it adds up over a yr) and the drawer slides, undermounts are now cheap enough and well made there is no reason to ever use side mounts. There is nothing wrong with particle board boxes, they keep your dishes off the floor and hold screws better than veneer core plywood and the gables don't warp.
There is nothing wrong with an Ikea kitchen. Buying a Downsview or Frendel kitchen is about buying style and a brand, they are very nice kitchens but probably more than most people may need.

OP, this is the place we used for our granite tops, Kitchen, laundry room and 3 bathrooms

I would suggest you have them come in, measure and install, you can do all the prep work before hand, and they have inexpensive undermount sinks as well

http://www.selectgranitetops.com/

If she is still around, see if you can deal with Patricia L. Marrocco she was very helpful.....

as posted before

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...yone-done-it&p=2209262&viewfull=1#post2209262

Thanks will call this weekend to see if they can come quote.
Thanks!

I have a very good granite guy. And I will always say have them do the install. If it breaks during install it's not on you. Pm me for details

be careful in the Brampton/ airport market for stone tops, there are probably 100? guys doing granite and quartz. You can now source 25" x 96" granite blanks from asia and they own a 4" grinder and a tube of silicone and are in business, Seams everywhere and pretty ugly finished product. The cost to get into the business used to be 500K for a gantry saw and WC router, now it comes in a box. You do not get what you pay for always.

For cabinetry north GTA maybe call Mother Hubbards cupboards, or Southbrook cabinets (pretty low cost) and talk to Kesh. Cabinet cost is ALL over the map, and the things to look for are hinges ( blum or grass are now about $1.50 ea and guess will use a crap .80 cent hinge because it adds up over a yr) and the drawer slides, undermounts are now cheap enough and well made there is no reason to ever use side mounts. There is nothing wrong with particle board boxes, they keep your dishes off the floor and hold screws better than veneer core plywood and the gables don't warp.

There is nothing wrong with an Ikea kitchen. Buying a Downsview or Frendel kitchen is about buying style and a brand, they are very nice kitchens but probably more than most people may need.

All very good advice.
Found myself in the house of one of the brothers from Downsview Kitchens. Took me 10 minutes to pick my jaw up off the floor. Kitchen was ridiculous, obviously.
We put a Home Depot kitchen in a basement, then added a nice granite counter, looked really good. Not too pricey.

What's the cost of man made vs stone/quartz?

quartz is man made

When I got my counter done I went with http://www.prostone.ca/

They will take you in the back and you pick the slab you want.

Price includes everything... no nickle and dime here. Any edge you want.

I paid $2700 for 23' (51.75 sqft) of 1 ¼” Indian dakota

Last edited:
There has been some pushback lately on the man made types of countertops, they are primarily an acrylic product and some brands have been suspect of recycled content and industrial waste. Nobody wants industrial recycled stuff in the kitchen. Quartz is a real stone product mixed into an acrylic resin binder, so not actual solid stone like granite or soapstone.

I have a solid surface top in the laundry room and there is solid surface going into the kitchen, I'm pretty unconcerned about the source of colored bit in the pattern. Fashion changes faster than my bank account, I couldn't justify granite.

So what top are you using. Looking at alternatives. Something better than laminate for the long run and resale value. Course, could just replace laminate just before resale and it would be cheaper. lol

Back
Top Bottom