Where are you headed in 2015? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where are you headed in 2015?

That looks like it wouldn't be all that bad of a ride. I'd be down if I had a different bike. Lots of back roads in that area

Qebec, just zoom the map over quebec. Surprised you haven't seen it before.

https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=ht...c58b5349fd1a8a1:0x1040cadae4d0020&h=RAQHDXCQk
Wow i used to live 12 hours south of there (Qc city) and had never heard of it! but it is pretty far. Just remember, quebec (especially that far north) will probably still have decent snow in april and maybe even chances of random spring snow storms or hail in may lol. Enjoy the ride!

A nice detour would be through this road.
https://goo.gl/maps/9O3RA

Doesnt really show but theres a lot of elevation change there...the left part is just big swooping curves , then latter part is made of smaller curves with a bunch of elevation changes.

Ah 24 hours from the KLR....and a foot of rain ....sigh. Loooooong plane flight coming up.
Still at least it's warm.

I made a stop at the Manicouagan Reservoir that you guys are talking about on my Labrador trip... it was on day 3:

Day%2B3.png

The roads going there are not bad at all. Most of it is pavement, and some of that pavement near the end has frost heaves and bumps that make you slow down a bit. Once the road becomes gravel, the gravel is well packed and often graded -- so the only time it is tricky at all is when you are trying to pass the grader and you have to hop that little gravel ridge into loose stuff. Some guy in a car coming the opposite direction lost traction and nearly skidded into me. Imagine that... 1200km from civilization, and almost no cars on the road, and get taken out by an idiot on the road.

At one of the construction stops (they have automatic lights to control which direction may pass), I turned around and saw two wolves on the road behind about 100 yards away.

Right at the Lake, and I can send GPS coordinates if anyone wants, is a camping spot. The black flies where still very horrible even in early August when I did the run though.

2014-08-05%2B09.42.40.jpg

I'm going to ride the Virginias, South Carolina and Tennessee in July. Hopefully it's not too busy there. Only been as far as Pennsylvania and Vermont on the bike in the States so far, therefore I'm quite excited about that one. The only regret I have is that out of a huge list of roads I have compiled, I'll probably only do about 1/3 due to time limitations.

Also want to do the Algoma tour soon. Anyone know what's the earliest in the year that roads are decent and free of snow and debris over there?

Mid June going to Virginia via NY, PA and WV.
No interstates
No chain restaurants
No chain hotels

Yikes. I pay $250/month for all 3 of my vehicles in Toronto.

Yes, but you pay all year long for your 3 vehicles. That $300/month is only when you're over there on vacation. Still a better deal than $1000/week on a rental.

It is also possible you can get a better deal if you find your own green card insurance. I saw some good deals out of Belarus, but I haven't spent the time figuring out if I was comparing apples to apples.

With the Air Canada Cargo sale going on, I think a lot of people should be re-evaluating their 2015 plans to include some far away destination.

I'm toying with the idea of flying the beemer over with me to Germany in September, because once that sale is over, I won't be dropping the $$$$ to fly it over just for a vacation.

http://canadamotoguide.com/2015/03/03/air-canadas-new-motorcycle-cargo-options/

I'm going to ride the Virginias, South Carolina and Tennessee in July. Hopefully it's not too busy there. Only been as far as Pennsylvania and Vermont on the bike in the States so far, therefore I'm quite excited about that one. The only regret I have is that out of a huge list of roads I have compiled, I'll probably only do about 1/3 due to time limitations.

Also want to do the Algoma tour soon. Anyone know what's the earliest in the year that roads are decent and free of snow and debris over there?

I was told by someone I know up there that it might be good in late June/early July

With the Air Canada Cargo sale going on, I think a lot of people should be re-evaluating their 2015 plans to include some far away destination.

I'm toying with the idea of flying the beemer over with me to Germany in September, because once that sale is over, I won't be dropping the $$$$ to fly it over just for a vacation.

http://canadamotoguide.com/2015/03/03/air-canadas-new-motorcycle-cargo-options/

Yes, this for me sounds like a grand idea. I was thinking of tripping out west and having the bike shipped back home with me. Going is always more interesting than the return voyage.

Not having a lot of faith in AC it'll be interesting to hear some reviews on how this goes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Appalachians & Smokies. Rode BRP for 100 miles in the area over Craggy forest pass a 1/2 decade ago, can't wait to return. Looking for nice quiet campgrounds in the area for early this summer, any suggestions? I'm a casual, experienced, older rider, fair weather only & will trailer down and ride limited portions of the area with my young Son 2 up. Anyone else ride with their kids?
There are many great campgrounds along the BRP. A few I liked were Willville Bike Camp in Meadows of Dan which is further north than Craggy Gardens and also has cabins. Also further north along the BRP is the Doughton Park Campground which is very nice. Further south and closer to Craggy Gardens are a number of places right off the BRP including: Julian Price Memorial Park, Linville Falls, Crabtree Meadows and Lake Powhatan. Use this map for great info along the BRP: http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&PageID=115070

I have also stayed at River Valley Campground in Cherokee, NC which is an RV park with really nice tent spots along a a river. Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground also is a very scenic place to stay, very close to the southern end of the BRP which also has cabins.

^^ Once you get closer to Deals Gap area a few nice ones include, Two Sisters Chalet, Ironhorse Lodge and Fontana Village (which might be great for younger kids too)

Since my travelling buddy is no longer able to do long rides, I'll be lucky if I get to ride around the block a few times. His daily dialysis prevents him from doing more than a short day ride. Might end up doing something solo in early May, maybe down into West Virginia again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom