Motorcycle checkpoints? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle checkpoints?

I don't care if it is a right or not. They'll still expropriate my tax dollars to pay for those roads regardless, AND they'll still stop me while I'm walking to do spot checks. Don't give me the BS about "privileges" as if I somehow waive all my constitutional rights by using the roads that I pay for. If I am a clear and imminent threat, by all means I deserve what I get, but nobody gave anybody a blank cheque to behave like Gestapo on our public highways. If that's your idea of a free society you don't deserve any freedom at all.

Can you suggest another society anywhere in the western world that fits your idea of a free society?

You're actually providing the proof to the "privilege" statement. If you must possess a full set of qualifications it is then a "privilege". If one of your criteria fails your "right" to drive is revoked.

You cannot revoke a "right".

Sure you can, look at all the people in prison. They don't have a right to freedom of movement and many other things.

MTO seems to state it is a privledge not a right.

Directly from the MTO website and handbook

This handbook is only a guide. For official purposes, please refer to the Highway Traffic Act, the Motorized Snow Vehicles Act and the Off-Road Vehicles Act of Ontario.
If you’re taking beginner driver education, make sure it’s from a ministry-approved school. You can find them at www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/gradu/approve.shtml.
For more information about driver licensing, visit www.mto.gov.on.ca.
To request a copy of this book in an alternate format, contact Publications Ontario at 1-800-668-9938 or (416) 326-5300 or visit www.publications.serviceontario.ca.
Disponible en français. Demandez le « Guide officiel de l’automobiliste de publié par le MTO »
[h=2]Driving is a privilege - not a right[/h]

In this chapter

MTO can say what they want. Following the flow chart indicates otherwise.

MTO can say what they want. Following the flow chart indicates otherwise.

He who giveth can also taketh away... an epileptic can be under control and NEVER had a seizure and they can remove their privilege. I am diabetic and have well controlled but I can get an AZ licence. If I don't keep my sugar levels within an arbitrary range set by my doctor, or follow the regime my doctor wants followed, they can pull my licence. I am still qualified and sugar levels are NOT one of the requirements. If I am a smoker and get cancer but refuse to stop smoking they can't use the threat of licence suspension as they can with diabetics. Unfair?? Yes. But it is a privilege I have NO right to obtain a drivers licence. But they can still pull it. But as long as your sure they can't deny you and you have yours then the world is at peace..lol.

He who giveth can also taketh away... an epileptic can be under control and NEVER had a seizure and they can remove their privilege. I am diabetic and have well controlled but I can get an AZ licence. If I don't keep my sugar levels within an arbitrary range set by my doctor, or follow the regime my doctor wants followed, they can pull my licence. I am still qualified and sugar levels are NOT one of the requirements. If I am a smoker and get cancer but refuse to stop smoking they can't use the threat of licence suspension as they can with diabetics. Unfair?? Yes. But it is a privilege I have NO right to obtain a drivers licence. But they can still pull it. But as long as your sure they can't deny you and you have yours then the world is at peace..lol.

Road use is governed by regulations and laws. They need to be abided by. If one is not in contravention of a particular law(s) pertaining to loss of driving right you cannot be removed from the road. There is no legal way to do that, that I'm aware of. From that angle it's a privilege in name only. I guess I can see why the government and/or the MTO wants to hang on to the privilege myth but we live in a free and democratic society. This is not like a private enterprise where no matter what qualifications and standards you meet they can deny you entry.
My beef is only that I find it queer that the mantra has always been that driving is a privilege bestowed upon us by a benevolent government and people are only to willing to repeat it like a prayer. It must be soothing.

Read the article again. Only one avenue of asset seizure will be shut down and even then only partially in certain circumstances.

Right, but the main problem was with seizing cash, which is what is being stopped.

I don't care if it is a right or not. They'll still expropriate my tax dollars to pay for those roads regardless, AND they'll still stop me while I'm walking to do spot checks. Don't give me the BS about "privileges" as if I somehow waive all my constitutional rights by using the roads that I pay for. If I am a clear and imminent threat, by all means I deserve what I get, but nobody gave anybody a blank cheque to behave like Gestapo on our public highways. If that's your idea of a free society you don't deserve any freedom at all.
+1000000

This is strange. I have never even seen a moto checkpoint before. I wouldn't know what to make of it if I did see one. What do they look like? There is several checkpoints on the way from San Diego back up north looking for stowaways and illegals. They basically stop all traffic on the highway and every lane has its own cop that checks each and every car to pass through one at a time. Its not THAT slow, but it is kind of annoying.. similar?

They (mto) will set up a command centre (old motorhome that doesn't look like it would pass their own inspection) along with a few cruisers (similar to OPP units) in a car pool parking lot or something similar. You will know it if you see one. Similar to a ride check. These are full enforcement officers with bullet proof vests and all the flashing lights. Most are not mechanics but trained to look for easy infractions. If required they can yank your plates and watch you walk home.

They (mto) will set up a command centre (old motorhome that doesn't look like it would pass their own inspection) along with a few cruisers (similar to OPP units) in a car pool parking lot or something similar. You will know it if you see one. Similar to a ride check. These are full enforcement officers with bullet proof vests and all the flashing lights. Most are not mechanics but trained to look for easy infractions. If required they can yank your plates and watch you walk home.

Nope, the one in Barrie, the cops block the whole road. Nobody gets through without talking to them. They are checking for club members on the way in to the party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to get stopped at least once a year by the cops when I lived in BC. They checked to see if I had a "M" endorsement on my license. Occasionally they would also check to make sure I carried proper insurance.
On one of the stops I asked the cop why they kept pulling over motorcyclists as I had never been pulled over for a license-check when driving a car. He told me that less than one percent of car drivers are driving without the proper license but one in five (that's 20%!) of motorcycle riders don't have their "M" endorsement.

That was in BC and several years ago...I have no idea if the quoted 20% is still accurate. In Ontario I have never been stopped for a license check.

Cheers,
Daryl

I used to get stopped at least once a year by the cops when I lived in BC. They checked to see if I had a "M" endorsement on my license. Occasionally they would also check to make sure I carried proper insurance.
On one of the stops I asked the cop why they kept pulling over motorcyclists as I had never been pulled over for a license-check when driving a car. He told me that less than one percent of car drivers are driving without the proper license but one in five (that's 20%!) of motorcycle riders don't have their "M" endorsement.

That was in BC and several years ago...I have no idea if the quoted 20% is still accurate. In Ontario I have never been stopped for a license check.

Cheers,
Daryl

Good point forgot that when I uused to sell bikes i cam across this a lot. When I woukld ask for a licenese to complete the sale a huge number of older clientele stated they never even bothered getting their license...lol. Some had been riding for more then 20 years!

This fishing practice is a nuisance. There has been an erosion of our civil liberties in the name of safety.
I could see your point if they did sidewalk checkpoints. But driving is a privilege, not a right.

I have no problem with enforcement if the see a problem. I do have a problem with them stopping traffic and fishing for offences. Most people abide by the law, there's no need to inconvenience everyone.
You'll notice also that most of the time you don't encounter checkpoints. While I'm sure they overreach their authority on many occasions, I don't see the issue with the occassional roadside check of motorists. Or, motorcyclists if they have good reason to believe bikers in particular are committing an offense (like noise checks).

"You" (your taxes) also pay for elementary schools and battle tanks and morphine, that doesn't give you any right to use them.

It CANNOT be revoked without just cause. Again, you have the RIGHT to drive if you meet all the requirements and qualifications. These requirements and qualifications were put in place for safety and security reasons. These requirements and qualifications were NOT put in place to earn a privilege. You earn the right to drive. This is proven by the fact that nobody can take it away from you without just cause. It's not a wording thing it's a reality thing.
In legal terms, a right can not come with qualifications. That's inherently contradictory. But I give you points for being the distributor of misinformation.

Back
Top Bottom