Motorcycle checkpoints? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle checkpoints?

Anyone heard of this before? It's completely new to me, but apparently it's been going on for a few years in the States. What are these checkpoints checking for?

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/rights/motorcycleonlycheckpoints.aspx

I've been stopped at OPP checkpoints south of Hamilton on the way to Port Dover. Quick check to see if helmet has a DOT sticker, tires are good, and all is good. Once I was asked to produce driver license, ownership and insurance. Again, all was good.

I have no issue with that given the number of riders who ride without insurance or proper equipment. It's not much different from long weekend blitzes where they target cottage-bound traffic to check for proper vehicle and trailer condition, safety equipment, and safe and secure loading.

I've been stopped at OPP checkpoints south of Hamilton on the way to Port Dover. Quick check to see if helmet has a DOT sticker, tires are good, and all is good. Once I was asked to produce driver license, ownership and insurance. Again, all was good.

I have no issue with that given the number of riders who ride without insurance or proper equipment. It's not much different from long weekend blitzes where they target cottage-bound traffic to check for proper vehicle and trailer condition, safety equipment, and safe and secure loading.

I have no problem with enforcement if the see a problem. I do have a problem with them stopping traffic and fishing for offences. Most people abide by the law, there's no need to inconvenience everyone.

I have no problem with enforcement if the see a problem. I do have a problem with them stopping traffic and fishing for offences. Most people abide by the law, there's no need to inconvenience everyone.

This fishing practice is a nuisance. There has been an erosion of our civil liberties in the name of safety.

Body cavity searches are now mandatory at all motorcycle checkpoints in Ontario.

You can't "see" if a vehicle has insurance or a rider a DOT helmet without closer inspection. The inconvenience is at most occasional and it is minimal. It can easily be avoided by choosing not to ride or drive.

You can't "see" if a vehicle has insurance or a rider a DOT helmet without closer inspection. The inconvenience is at most occasional and it is minimal. It can easily be avoided by choosing not to ride or drive.

Bingo. Driving/riding is not a right its a privilege.

You can easily say the same thing about seatbelts and car insurance, though

You can easily say the same thing about seatbelts and car insurance, though

You can, though seatbelt use is more easily seen without having to stop the vehicle, and with larger license plates on cars and MTO is now somewhat tracking insurance to license plates, that and ownership status can be more easily checked than with the miniscule plates on motorcycles.

Well my dentist told me I don't have any cavities at my last checkup ;)

So you are saying your dentist checked all your potential cavities? Brazen!
Was it enjoyable or did you feel violated? And did you tell an adult about it?

ownership status can be more easily checked than with the miniscule plates on motorcycles.

The sticker is the same size, there are fewer characters, and the only obstacle to reading them easily is when boneheads bend them and/or hide them under the tail or in front of the rear tire.

Bingo. Driving/riding is not a right its a privilege.

That's a misconception. If you look at the fine print you'll find that as long as you meet all of the requirements nobody has the power to deny you the right to drive. It's like a walk in the park, as long as you meet all the requirements, it's your right. No agent of the government will ever say "we are choosing to deny you the privilege of participating in these activities. They would have no legal grounds.

That's a misconception. If you look at the fine print you'll find that as long as you meet all of the requirements nobody has the power to deny you the right to drive. It's like a walk in the park, as long as you meet all the requirements, it's your right. No agent of the government will ever say "we are choosing to deny you the privilege of participating in these activities. They would have no legal grounds.

You're actually providing the proof to the "privilege" statement. If you must possess a full set of qualifications it is then a "privilege". If one of your criteria fails your "right" to drive is revoked.

You cannot revoke a "right".

If one of your criteria fails your "right" to drive is revoked.

You cannot revoke a "right".

You're actually providing the proof to the "right" to drive. It's not a right without a full set of qualifications.

You're actually providing the proof to the "right" to drive. It's not a right without a full set of qualifications.

Of which one qualification is that you are subject to roadside inspection of vehicle and license/registration/insurance documentation at any time by police.

I will repeat it again. Your rights under the law CANNOT be revoked. A driving license CAN be revoked. Trust me in this.

I don't care if it is a right or not. They'll still expropriate my tax dollars to pay for those roads regardless, AND they'll still stop me while I'm walking to do spot checks. Don't give me the BS about "privileges" as if I somehow waive all my constitutional rights by using the roads that I pay for. If I am a clear and imminent threat, by all means I deserve what I get, but nobody gave anybody a blank cheque to behave like Gestapo on our public highways. If that's your idea of a free society you don't deserve any freedom at all.

A driving license CAN be revoked.

It CANNOT be revoked without just cause. Again, you have the RIGHT to drive if you meet all the requirements and qualifications. These requirements and qualifications were put in place for safety and security reasons. These requirements and qualifications were NOT put in place to earn a privilege. You earn the right to drive. This is proven by the fact that nobody can take it away from you without just cause. It's not a wording thing it's a reality thing.

Back
Top Bottom