Motorcycle checkpoints? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle checkpoints?

They are checking for proper driver's licence and insurance coverage. Plus anything else that pops up when they enter your info.

They are used here to but very irregular. You may see one on the highway close to the entrance of private parties hosted by those fellows wearing colors and belonging to clubs. Its a form of harassment. In the US it is used for ownerships, guns and drugs and whatever else may be a concern.

It's not even a concern with electronic ignitions.

I vaguely remember this coming in many years ago. I'm against any roadside spot checks unless there has been an offence committed, or at the very least tangible evidence an offence is being committed. In Ontario spot checks are legal, at least for DUI. They are not legal in Quebec. Not sure about other provinces. I see by the AMA link that some states have outlawed the practice. I believe the best action would be to refuse to travel in states where arbitrary spot checks are legal. IMO, they are overkill, mostly unnecessary.

Every time you folks see the " TRUCKS ENTER INSPECTION STATION WHEN LIGHTS FLASHING" you're going by a roadside spot check.Please don't get all up my face with dangerous rigs etc . Yes there are but that's not the point i'm making. How many cagers would want to go through a full safety inspection possibly every time you're directed through the station? Not just mechanical but all paperwork and driver checks also. Not just MTO officers but OPP if they see fit. Essentially you have a huge money grab without a car chase. Back in the great financial crisis police officers were trimmed down but not MTO. Sometimes your safety doesn't really pay the way for continuing employment of enforcement officials. How many times have you seen the MTO set up at the big car shows here in Ontario on the way home, that's fairly common now in the interest of public safety.

Local cops do it every summer on McKay rd, just south of Barrie. One of the bike clubs has a member who hosts the club two or three times each year. Cops close the road and check all traffic. Pain in the ass...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Local cops do it every summer on McKay rd, just south of Barrie. One of the bike clubs has a member who hosts the club two or three times each year. Cops close the road and check all traffic. Pain in the ***...

That is their local club house not a private residence as far as i'm aware. Not sure why someone would paint their residence red and white and allow RV's to perminantly be setup there unless they are Santa Claus and the RV's are for the elves....lol

Every time you folks see the " TRUCKS ENTER INSPECTION STATION WHEN LIGHTS FLASHING" you're going by a roadside spot check.Please don't get all up my face with dangerous rigs etc . Yes there are but that's not the point i'm making. How many cagers would want to go through a full safety inspection possibly every time you're directed through the station? Not just mechanical but all paperwork and driver checks also. Not just MTO officers but OPP if they see fit. Essentially you have a huge money grab without a car chase. Back in the great financial crisis police officers were trimmed down but not MTO. Sometimes your safety doesn't really pay the way for continuing employment of enforcement officials. How many times have you seen the MTO set up at the big car shows here in Ontario on the way home, that's fairly common now in the interest of public safety.

Ha ha. Trucks are a commercial enterprise, not a private individual. Anything over 3000kg gross vehicle weight rating is considered a commercial vehicle. I agree that law enforcement has become at least 70% about generating revenue, hence the exaggerated press releases from the OPP about roadside inspections. Public safety is the bogeyman they always use, when in fact there is very little statistical threat at all.

Local cops do it every summer on McKay rd, just south of Barrie. One of the bike clubs has a member who hosts the club two or three times each year. Cops close the road and check all traffic. Pain in the ***...

As mentioned above that's an actual HA club house. The house has no doorknobs like most HA clubhouses. If you look at the next house east of the clubhouse, check out the "treehouse" in the backyard.

Edit: and to add I've been stopped in the roadside checkpoints they setup around this place a couple of times. I just can't see how it can be legal.

Ha ha. Trucks are a commercial enterprise, not a private individual. Anything over 3000kg gross vehicle weight rating is considered a commercial vehicle. I agree that law enforcement has become at least 70% about generating revenue, hence the exaggerated press releases from the OPP about roadside inspections. Public safety is the bogeyman they always use, when in fact there is very little statistical threat at all.

4500Kg's registered or actual weight to be considered a commercial vehicle. There's a reason I register my truck at 4490Kg's.

It's not even a concern with electronic ignitions.

This+slaps+me+on+the+knee+_bf3f5841cc910492db7b8773f7741df5.png

One of the things Canada and US share is a 10K cap, you can cross the border with $9,999.00, but over 10k needs to be declared. Taking over 10k cash into a bank you will most likely be questioned on origin of the cash. Not sure once you are in the US why large amounts are an issue, unless security is a concern (legitimate reason)

One of the things Canada and US share is a 10K cap, you can cross the border with $9,999.00, but over 10k needs to be declared. Taking over 10k cash into a bank you will most likely be questioned on origin of the cash. Not sure once you are in the US why large amounts are an issue, unless security is a concern (legitimate reason)

Google it...

What's a large amount and why.....

Because they have a cute little practice of confiscating your cash and then releasing about half of it back to you if you sign a release stating you won't sue them for the rest of it. It's based on the LEO's "genuine belief" that your cash may have been obtained illegally. If you thought speed traps were highway robbery, this practice takes the concept to a whole new level

Also a reminder don't carry a large amount of cash when traveling in the states.

+1 It's is common practice as the proceeds are hardly ever returned, especially in the small county's that are beginning to rely on this "income".

So, if you are pulled over with a wad of legit cash you:
1 - tell the officer you have it --> He can confiscate it.

2 - don't tell the officer you have it --> He searches you and confiscates it.

All this is perfectly legal, even if the money is 100% legitimate.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/...ws-allow-cops-to-steal-our-stuff-to-buy-toys/

"Oliver noted the rising tide of police pulling motorists over and asking if they are carrying large quantities of cash while pointing out that, since 9/11, authorities have used one program to acquire over $2.5 billion in the course of close to 62,000 cash seizures in cases where people were not charged with a crime."

Among the items purchased was a Zamboni ice-surfacing machine purchased by a Massachusetts District Attorneys office, and reports from Montgomery County, Texas, of proceeds being use to purchased kegs of beer, Crown Royal whiskey, and a margarita-making machine for office parties.
“That’s true,” Oliver deadpanned. “In Texas they bought a margarita machine. They were literally using this money as their own personal slush fund.”

[video=youtube;3kEpZWGgJks]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks[/video]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom