Very close call on Highway | GTAMotorcycle.com

Very close call on Highway

Following distance didn't seem too bad to me, but it could be due to the camera's FOV. Glad that the rider saw an out and took it. Incidentally, this is a great tool for describing the Quebec duck incident.

Wait, no... timed a shadow on the road and he was definitely way too close.

I hope something positive (learning for all of us) can come from this close call: following distance should be at least 2 seconds behind cars and much more than that behind tall vehicles. When the van swerved the rider's vision follows the vehicle resulting in the rider slow to act (been there myself); glad the situation ended well.

Also, if someone in front of me swerves, I will jump into another lane without waiting to see what was in front. It only took running over a ladder on the 404 once to train that into me

Also, if someone in front of me swerves, I will jump into another lane without waiting to see what was in front. It only took running over a ladder on the 404 once to train that into me

What if someone is besides you in the other lane?

Following distance didn't seem too bad to me, but it could be due to the camera's FOV. Glad that the rider saw an out and took it. Incidentally, this is a great tool for describing the Quebec duck incident.

Wait, no... timed a shadow on the road and he was definitely way too close.

I immediately thought of thew Quebec duck thing too.

Regarding following distance... Next time you're on the highway take not of the other drivers around you. If traffic is moderately heavy (ie, busy enough that there are cars everywhere but still going roughly 100kph) see what gap people leave. The recommended gap is 2 seconds. NO ONE leaves a two second gap. In heavy traffic if you leave that big a gap you will constantly have people changing lanes into it.
I believe what others have said about the Quebec duck incident: A vast majority of riders and drivers (especially those condeming the rider for following too closely in their online commenting) would have also hit the stopped car in the same situation.

Always ride with an escape route in mind. One of the first things I learned.

Why is the white van a d1ck? Not his responsibility to be aware for you. Looks like he was not paying attention either and had to swerve at the last min. It up to YOU to ride with attention.

The white van swerving saved the exit route for the bike. If he had hit the line of cars, the bike would have had nowhere to go.

OP, good job staying rubber side down and thanks for posting. We have all made mistakes that could have had dire consequences, watching others and learning from their experiences too makes us all better/safer riders.

You'd think there wasn't a right lane or middle on the highway for bikes.

Bike went past five cars while braking.

Van probably crowded up to find a gap and move over, someone ahead got a little over zealous on the brakes and he moved quicker than he wanted to.

As someone posted above that's typical in that type of traffic, even in the U.S. and you have to watch for it.
Bikes are tall you, you are less protected. Make use of your advantages to negate the disadvantages.
Bike should never have been there in the first place.

Always ride with an escape route in mind. One of the first things I learned.

Why is the white van a d1ck? Not his responsibility to be aware for you. Looks like he was not paying attention either and had to swerve at the last min. It up to YOU to ride with attention.

In my eyes, the white van swerved to the middle lane as he did not want to be held up in traffic in the left lane. And for that, white van is TOP COCK!

As I said before, i see it on the 401 daily.

Last edited:
If you watch video closely you will see front end of the van dive as the brakes are applied hard. He wasn't paying attention. I agree he was likely looking in mirror to change to middle lane looked up and saw line of stopped traffic his move was clearly to avoid hitting them. Looking at the vans shadow as it passes the shadow of the overhead sign just before the van swerves shows the bike was less than 1 second behind the van.

In my eyes, the white van swerved to the middle lane as he did not want to be held up in traffic in the left lane. And for that, white van is TOP COCK!

As I said before, i see it on the 401 daily.

Van did a swerve and avoid cause he wasn't paying attention. Bad driving, but not to blame for the rider's choices. Rider chose to stay behind the van. Something I avoid as much as possible.

Van was paying attention. . .to the lane he was moving into. Bikers be cray-zee.

biker was paying attention. . .to the big van preventing him from speeding up.

lucky he didn't target fixate on the car.

...As I said before, i see it on the 401 daily.

Yup. Most highways/routes - I notice patterns in most routes I take, and I'll be thinking of changing lanes to avoid the lane-slowdown I expect to be coming. A common rule of thumb is that the leftmost passing lane will come to a halt between the offramp and the onramp of a connecting road.

In my opinion all of the cars in that lineup could've done better by leaving more room in front of themselves to allow moving up in case the person coming up behind them gets surprised and has trouble slowing down in time.

Back
Top Bottom