Warm Gloves? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Warm Gloves?

BRT

As a new rider, I don't see myself going the heated grip or heated glove route just yet. Assuming such a thing even exists ...

I'm looking for a pair of relatively inexpensive, warm, preferably waterproof-breathable gloves, for use between 5-12 degrees C. The cheapos I've tried ($20 at the Toronto motorcycle show) are good for about 20-30 minutes before the cold numbness sets in.

On line, I noticed the Icon Patrol Waterproof Glove, which I can pick up (relatively) locally for about $70 Cdn + tax. Not sure how warm they'd be though?

Any recommendations?

Thanks, in advance!

If you don't go with heated grips or gloves, then unfortunately your choices are limited. The biggest factor is the wind-chill on both hands when riding. I wouldn't waste any money on ICON products. They are garbage.

Only advice for you is, don't cheap out. You can buy a different pair of $70 gloves five times and not be happy.
Or.
Spend $200 - $300 ONCE, and keep a smile on your face while riding in the cold.
Get yourself some heated / riding gloves.

Only advice for you is, don't cheap out. You can buy a different pair of $70 gloves five times and not be happy.
Or.
Spend $200 - $300 ONCE, and keep a smile on your face while riding in the cold.
Get yourself some heated / riding gloves.
Unfortunately this is so true

WE have all made the mistake, went for the cheap stuff because we thought buying expensive was just out of questions, then end up spending 3 times by having to replace the crap we bought.

The guys above are correct...one caveat though, if you don't need it immediately hold out for deals and offers. I got my Gerbings gloves half price a couple of years ago by being patient.

What's worked well for me in colder temps is using glove liners underneath like what I use for skiing:

I did try liners; better, but not gr8.

Unfortunately this is so true

WE have all made the mistake, went for the cheap stuff because we thought buying expensive was just out of questions, then end up spending 3 times by having to replace the crap we bought.

Absolutely. My pants and jacket(s) are fine for the temperature spectrums in which I want to ride. And I normally don't cheap out but, aside from decent riding gear, I've already spent a fair bit on "farkling" my bike (which I had fully expected and for which I had budgeted).

I
am trying (probably without much success) to be a bit more budget conscious with the gloves; this next pair will be an interim measure, until I can spend on something good, without the waves of guilt thrown my way by an, otherwise understanding, wife. :)

In the interim, I'd like to be able to end a cold(er)-weather ride without risking the loss of a finger or two.

I did try liners; better, but not gr8.

Absolutely. My pants and jacket(s) are fine for the temperature spectrums in which I want to ride. And I normally don't cheap out but, aside from decent riding gear, I've already spent a fair bit on "farkling" my bike (which I had fully expected and for which I had budgeted).

I
am trying (probably without much success) to be a bit more budget conscious with the gloves; this next pair will be an interim measure, until I can spend on something good, without the waves of guilt thrown my way by an, otherwise understanding, wife. :)

In the interim, I'd like to be able to end a cold(er)-weather ride without risking the loss of a finger or two.

Something else to think about gloves and temperature is protection, many people make the mistake to buying something that looks warm but with minimal protection. So Insulation, material and armour is what you are looking for and to achieve all those you need $

The cheapest and most effective option is handlebar muffs. $20 at Princess Auto. Yes, they are ugly as crap and you have to get used to riding with them, but you won't find anything else nearly as effective in that price range.

In the past I've run the muffs, heated grips and heated gloves all together. Both heated grips and heated gloves are worth the money in the long run, but their effectiveness is seriously compromised at higher speeds if you don't have something to block the wind like handguards or muffs

Most offerings under $150 are just ski gloves with little to no protection. Look for a sale in the early Spring on quality gloves or try kijiji.

Fall is a distant memory now but 5-12oC doesn't seem all that cold to me.

Regardless, I have a set of Fly Ignitor heated gloves and have ridden in -2oC temps for an hour at a time without issue. Well, the rest of me got cold as hell but my hands remained pretty comfy.

Drawbacks to these include a fair amount of bulk resulting in a lack of feeling in the levers and dexterity issues with things like the turn signal. They also lack the sort of protection you might expect from a motorcycle glove (e.g. knuckle armour, layered slide protection in the palm etc...)

But they do a pretty good job of keeping the hands warm. Now that I can't ride anymore due to winter having finally set in, I use them when I shovel the driveway :)

I bought a pair of these that fit under my leather gloves. They fit tight which is good. They do get really warm!

Forgot to add. You can get them at sportcheck. They were $29.99. They were on sale at the time. Not sure if they're that price now

596ac555d0e3f60ca4cab7c992401bf5.jpg
a863cab7d4b3d3a57d65ed736530bd46.jpg

THIS IS YOUR SINGLE BEST OPTION PERIOD: Safe, warm, rechargeable, no wires.....but pricey.
https://store.firedupx.com/en/heated-gloves/heated-vr-pro-motorcycle-gloves.html

I have in the past also had good luck winter riding with two finger snowmobile mitts like this:

http://www.firstplaceparts.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/choko-storm-claw-snowmobile-mitts-96U2360.jpg

Great product. Doesn't fit short fingers well.

Also, check this thread http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?187217-Best-Warm-Winter-Gloves/page3 from last month.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of these that fit under my leather gloves. They fit tight which is good. They do get really warm!

Forgot to add. You can get them at sportcheck. They were $29.99. They were on sale at the time. Not sure if they're that price now

596ac555d0e3f60ca4cab7c992401bf5.jpg
a863cab7d4b3d3a57d65ed736530bd46.jpg

I don't see these on sportcheks website. how long ago did you get them? they're not heated are they? just really warm?

Does anyone know if the original Gerbing T5 gloves will work with the battery packs at all? I can pick up a set used but i don't want to get them if I cant use the battery packs with them, I just found out from the gentlemen I can get them from that they indeed do not have pouches for the battery packs. I was only planning on using the gloves and a set of the socks possibly but knowing that the gloves don't have the space for the battery packs is slightly concerning.

Last edited:
As a new rider, I don't see myself going the heated grip or heated glove route just yet. Assuming such a thing even exists ...

Heated grips are great, even for new riders! There are a set at Royal distributing that are installed under the grips for 32.99 (see link below), they have kept my hands toasty on blistering cold days.
That plus a nice seat of gloves or glove liners and you are good to go in the cold.

http://www.royaldistributing.com/Catalogues/Main/2015-Fall-Winter/#229

I don't see these on sportcheks website. how long ago did you get them? they're not heated are they? just really warm?

Does anyone know if the original Gerbing T5 gloves will work with the battery packs at all? I can pick up a set used but i don't want to get them if I cant use the battery packs with them, I just found out from the gentlemen I can get them from that they indeed do not have pouches for the battery packs. I was only planning on using the gloves and a set of the socks possibly but knowing that the gloves don't have the space for the battery packs is slightly concerning.

Sorry, I goofed. I got them at marks work warehouse. I got them in the fall and then another pair on Boxing Day. They're not heated but they keep you warm enough. Maybe not in sub 5 degree weather but definitely around 10 degrees.

Heated grips are great, even for new riders!...

As a brand new rider, I had just been riding for the one season but, as I recall, in the colder weather, the frigid hand issue wasn't so much with the palms but, mostly, the tops of the fingers? And so, I am ready to be corrected on this, but I tend to view heated grips similar to the way I do the heated seats in my car ...
If the rest of my body is freezing,
a hot arse probably won't be of all that much help?

Before I look at a heated solution, decent gloves and hand guards would seem to be the next logical step in the process?

That plus a nice seat of gloves or glove liners and you are good to go in the cold.

BRT, it's up to you. The heated grips keep your hands warm. Good gloves (with liners) keeps the cold winds off and keeps your hands dry.
Hand guards will also help with that. If you use all three, you hands will be super toasty!

Back
Top Bottom