Rc 390! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rc 390!

I really like this bike and want one. But at $6599 plus taxes they can keep it lol. Ktm needed this bike to come in under $6000.

I really like this bike and want one. But at $6599 plus taxes they can keep it lol. Ktm needed this bike to come in under $6000.

So, you think it should be priced less than an Ninja 300 ABS SE ($5999)? A premium brand priced below a non-premium... for a bike that is probably better equipped and has a larger engine. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

KTM doesn't need anything of this sort. As a matter of fact they don't need the Canadian street market, we are lucky they actually decided to bring this bike. Not sure what your theory is based on, but I see Ninja 300 at 6K .... KTM Canada will sell all they can get at 6.6K, I am willing to make a bet. They will definitely not lose any sleep ... LOL

KTM doesn't need anything of this sort. As a matter of fact they don't need the Canadian street market, we are lucky they actually decided to bring this bike. Not sure what your theory is based on, but I see Ninja 300 at 6K .... KTM Canada will sell all they can get at 6.6K, I am willing to make a bet. They will definitely not lose any sleep ... LOL

No but $6000 would be ok I guess. The price hurts when you add taxes is what I meant. You can get a 600ss used for that price or not much more. I am not interested in a 600ss though. I can see this price being a problem in terms of value to some people. I guess I could still buy one at that price lol. I'm debating if I should get rid of my 250 I don't ride anymore and get this to add to the stable.

Last edited:
If you want a small modern proper sport bike ... this is the bike to get. It will not be for everyone, but I am pretty sure KTM Canada isn't trying to market it directly against Ninja 300 (even though consumers will; there will be always a cheaper twin or single from Japan). What they do try is to give you the best value which price is just one part of.

No but $6000 would be ok I guess. The price hurts when you add taxes is what I meant. But you can get a 600ss used for that price or not much more. I am not interested in a 600ss or any bike for that matter as I already have a couple. I can see this price being a problem in terms of value to some people

It depends on the person. For your average GTA rider (don't know about the rest of Canada), they only think "bigger is better". The riders that can utilize even 20% of a 600ss either have ridiculous amounts of self control, realize it's more fun to ride a small bike fast than a fast bike slow, or are broke. Either way, they want a smaller bike but the actual market for small bikes is tiny; especially with all the egotistical riders looking down at 250s.

I still want one though, especially in white. Maybe I will get the wifey to buy it for me for my bday :)

It's interesting how in UK, RC is cheaper than a Ninja 300 ABS, while in Canada it's the opposite. And UK tax system is supposed to advantage the lower cc-hp bike..

No but $6000 would be ok I guess. The price hurts when you add taxes is what I meant. You can get a 600ss used for that price or not much more. I am not interested in a 600ss though. I can see this price being a problem in terms of value to some people. I guess I could still buy one at that price lol. I'm debating if I should get rid of my 250 I don't ride anymore and get this to add to the stable.

They sell loads of new 250/300's compared to 600SS bikes even though you can get a used 600SS for same. KTM offering this bike in Canada gets riders earlier in their riding career in hopes of keeping them for later purchases as well.

At the show I asked a girl at the GP booth if they had either the RC or Duke 390, she looked at me like wtf is that?? That's ridiculous for being employed by one of the largest dealer/shop in the GTA. I don't even work at a shop but help out at the shows and had multiple people giving me compliments telling me how I was great at my job.

I guess its a lot easier to educate and sell to people when you actually know and use the product yourself. At their size you can't expect everyone to be a rider but they should at least get some training on new products and bike launches. Given that they're the only KTM dealer around that's pretty pathetic.

As far are price goes, compared to the Ninja 300 the Trellis frame and USD forks alone make it worth the extra money. Also when buying a new small cc bike many could care less about the used 600cc market, even if they have money for the bike its likely being a young/new rider they won't be able to afford the insurance and if you're looking for a small displacement track bike the KTM slaps the **** out of the Ninja out of the box

Last edited:
KTM is telling you ... "Race me please". The Ninja says .... "When are we leaving for work in the morning." .... :)

It's interesting how in UK, RC is cheaper than a Ninja 300 ABS, while in Canada it's the opposite. And UK tax system is supposed to advantage the lower cc-hp bike..

Does it maybe have something to do with where they are built or where the company is located?

Not really ... the Euro market is cut throat for the smaller bikes. There's virtually no market (when compared to Euro market) in Canada considering the few small cc bikes sold every year here. Also the Euro graduated licensing obviously helps to fuel the market with new rider's purchases.

Another factor is the cost involved to import it to small North American market. Yes, they can and will piggyback off the US allotment (if they didn't KTM Canada would probably never import it solo; Hence their announcements either never happen or come only after KTM US announces things), but still the licensing costs are x amount of dollars split between few bikes ... where in Europe the volumes are huge in comparion, thus cost per bike is a lot smaller.

Last edited:
Does it maybe have something to do with where they are built or where the company is located?

Both manufactured in Asia, and I dont think the locations of hqs play any roles for either. It's probably the volume/continent as mxs said.

I wonder what would be the insurance rate for this bike, it is 375cc (not 390), Ninja 250 and 300 have same rates, but stepping up slightly to 375 what will it be? Tthis is a new bike, not even listed in the Canadian registry yet. They have no track record of accident rates, how will they determine what the rate is?

I wonder what would be the insurance rate for this bike, it is 375cc (not 390), Ninja 250 and 300 have same rates, but stepping up slightly to 375 what will it be? Tthis is a new bike, not even listed in the Canadian registry yet. They have no track record of accident rates, how will they determine what the rate is?

It is my understanding that it isn't listed specifically since it is 2007 or newer. And as for Transport Canada costs, it was my understanding that after filling paperwork that the mfr can self cert with risk of audit only. So cost per bike would be minimal and shouldn't impact bike cost.

Back
Top Bottom