Rc 390! | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rc 390!

Of course, deposit down, delivery in spring. It's cool bike, premium brand, what more can i ask for, can't wait to pick up chicks on this bike:tshirt:

Awesome man! Are you getting a box delivered to your house? I saw a guy doing an unboxing of a bike in his garage.. that would be awesome.. My brother is buying this bike as well. He's obsessed! I'll keep my eye on this thread.. post pics in here when you can man. I think its a great bike, and if I wasn't so "large".. I would probably have bought one..

I've never understood this "well you can buy a 600ss used for less"

That holds true for most bikes. Priced higher than a Ninja 300, makes perfect sense. Priced still higher than a CBR500, when Honda hasn't released 2015 pricing yet...interesting.

Last edited:
CBR500 is a different market bike for different audience.

The real reason why RC390 exists is to race it ... obviously not on the street, but on the track whether it's a track day or some sort of series. Many youngsters in Europe will use it of course on streets and many people in other parts of the world (without limiting licensing) will buy it as little fun bike.

CBR500 line of bikes is simply a commuter's machine with a very little excitement built into it ... so the price difference really doesn't matter.

No big surprises.

BSB has put out their recommended maintenance for the race abused RC390 "based on lessons learned from ADAC"

- oil and filter after 1.5 hours run in
- oil and filter after a race weekend
- valve adjustment at 10 hours
- engine "refresh" at 45 hours

You are not surprised? I definitely am ... If this are based really on credible information from racers who "felt" it when these were not followed ....

What exactly would need an engine refresh after a several thousand kilometres on the clock per season?? I assume 45hrs is about one racing season.

Or is this rather one of those cautionary bulletins, so nobody can held them liable for .... "You didn't tell us ..."

You are not surprised? I definitely am ... If this are based really on credible information from racers who "felt" it when these were not followed ....

What exactly would need an engine refresh after a several thousand kilometres on the clock per season?? I assume 45hrs is about one racing season.

Or is this rather one of those cautionary bulletins, so nobody can held them liable for .... "You didn't tell us ..."

I'm not surprised based on the info that was shared with me concerning the engine results from 2014 ADAC and 1 test session for BSB with 10 bikes.

Can you share more, because it would have my attention if I were to consider one?

While I'm not privy to what ADAC may have found in their real world experience with this particular engine ...

It is not that unusual in general for a roadrace engine to benefit from a top-end overhaul in somewhere near that timeframe. Leakdown check, replace piston rings, check valve seats for leakage, etc.

It's not necessarily that the engine will explode if you go an hour past that, just that it may have lost a horsepower or two. For a street bike - irrelevant, you're not going to need a top end overhaul every 45 hours. For a race bike - you are going to want that horsepower or two back.

A race weekend for me (no endurance race) puts around 2 hours of run time on the engine. This would be needing an overhaul every 2 years. I go a lot longer than that ... but the Fizzer 400 in stock form is a rather understressed engine. Piston speed is nothing special, the pistons weigh next to nothing, the valves weigh next to nothing, and it makes about 15 horsepower per cylinder. The RC390 has bigger parts inside and makes 3 times as much power per cylinder.

Depends on the rider, too ... I usually shift 1000 - 2000 rpm before redline in anything but race conditions and I almost never exceed redline. Not everyone does that ... I try not to break stuff (not always successfully) ...

I hear you, but I am thinking of amateur racers, track day enthusiasts who generally don't care where they place, they just want to have a good time on a track, thus would not mind to be a horse or two down .... but then again it would be nice to know what sort of warning/recommendation it is and for what reasons. I wouldn't mind to be down a horse, but I would hate the engine go kaboom ....

I can restrain myself on my little fizzer, but it will be harder to do on this small single, because the redline is so much lower, you will get there really quickly ... LOL

Sent you a PM

I hear you, but I am thinking of amateur racers, track day enthusiasts who generally don't care where they place, they just want to have a good time on a track, thus would not mind to be a horse or two down .... but then again it would be nice to know what sort of warning/recommendation it is and for what reasons. I wouldn't mind to be down a horse, but I would hate the engine go kaboom ....

I can restrain myself on my little fizzer, but it will be harder to do on this small single, because the redline is so much lower, you will get there really quickly ... LOL

I thought after the motorcycle show that this thread would come back to life.

So who has bought one? When do you get it? What did you pay?

When can I borrow it? :)

Bike looks really good, seating position is nice. Rear shock is garbage for someone my weight. I'll buy one if my cbr125 throws its con-rod thru the crankcase...

Agree with Brian's comment .... I will wait a year or two just to see. The bike fits me like a glove .... :)

Learned interesting thing .... The one piece foam seat is made locally somewhere in Ontario .... Kind of makes it partially "made in Ontario" .... LOL

I loved the 390's at the bike show.
Wonder if they would come close to a straight trade for my 950SM?
The 390 should insure for peanuts for a 41 yr old married dude who's had a bike license for 25 yrs.

The RC is quite thin, thinner than ninja 250 and closer to CBR125. It is very nimble but not very good looking on the street it looks like a moped. Don't see anyone complaining headlights, do you guys like it now? Ever since I put my deposit down I have done a lot of research on the bike, watched many youtubes and many reviews, so I didn't have the 'wow' factor when I saw the bike in person, as everything is 'expected'. I am really a style conscious guy, i can live with the headlights, but it looks too slim. When I sit on it i feel like riding taller version of cbr125

Don't care about lights, never will.

Narrow/slim and light will always be in the pros column for me. The only time where it wouldn't is if I was planning to highway it in open spaces .... Which is the very last thing anyone should do with this bike.

Back
Top Bottom