Stunt Driving | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stunt Driving

Bobo

Anyone here have any firsthand experience with a stunt driving charge? Did your insurance go up and for how long?Does that charge stay on your abstract for 3 years from date of conviction.Asking for a 45 year old friend that got convicted a while back and is sweating every time one of his insurance policies comes up for renewal.

Last edited:
Being actually convicted of a HTA 172 charge is a lot less common than being charged with one, as most are reduced to something else. Your buddy is right to sweat, if his insurance finds out he could be back charged, cancelled, or both.

Since it's still just an HTA charge (as opposed to criminal), I believe it's still 3 years

Convictions stays on abstract for 3 years.
Why didn’t you’re friend fight the charge??
If the insurance company finds out about it they will cancel him because he no longer meets their guidelines and he now would have to get insurance through facility, regular market wouldn’t even look at him

He did fight it.To sum it up,the guy was in his late forties, NO tickets or accidents for over twenty years when he got caught boxed in on his bike by some trucks doing 140 on the 401 so he sped up to 160 to get out of that situation.Cop clocked him at 160 and would not cut him a break.He got good representation and the crown was a total ********* and would not willing to negotiate a lesser charge and boom the guy gets convicted.They didn't even get him on radar,they paced him under somewhat dubious circumstances.When you walk into a courtroom you never know what is going to happen.It just wasn't his day.Real nice guy who didn't deserve that.Totally screwed up his perfect record.

Last edited:
Also hope he doesn't have a crash in the interim. I suspect his insurer would use his failure to disclose, the conviction, as grounds for not paying the claim. So if the other vehicle is a write off he will be paying for a LONG time. Not to mention any resulting lawsuits.

I got by 5 years without these extortionist insurance cocksuckers finding out. Even then they somehow only pulled 3 tickets of 8 or so but still kept me around. Back in Jevco days you got a freebie on your first two minors and third one was a 15% increase, whatever...still not bad. I was still paying less than I am now with Intact and only 2 tickets. However that was the reason I was stuck with my 250 because switching bikes or insurance companies would have blown my cover for sure.

Fast forward to my stunting charge, still had half a dozen or so minors all speeding it was 2 summers ago, I was 23 doing roughly the same speed pretty much maxed out on the 250 up north. The piggyplane got me and the ground guys set up a road block down the highway, it was light Sunday afternoon traffic the week after long weekend; I wasn't expecting them to be in the air...Ended up with a speeding charge (HTA 128.) and stunt racing (HTA 172.)

Got a paralegal up in Bracebridge to handle it and he got it dropped it to 49 over, which is still just a minor in the eyes of most insurers. He suggested I not even be present and let him take care of it all, he knew the prosecutor and cop well. They were both pricks according to him, the cop more so especially with these type of charges because he was on the collision investigation unit and had seen lots of crazy ****. When they're all buddies or at least professionals with working relationships they're a lot more relaxed and open to negotiations rather when you try to stand up for yourself, then they just really want to make an example of you.

As far staying on your record for insurance purposes or jobs that require a driver's abstract, its only 3 years from date of conviction. If I were him, I'd change nothing, keep my head down and stay quiet, but here's the catch...this is what the paralegal told me; MTO has a lifetime record of EVERYTHING from when you first got your license and this can be used against you in court in any subsequent traffic or criminal trial if the prosecutor wishes to. In my personal experience with over a dozen tickets I've never had them once bring up my previous record in court, but I have had cops look at it and refuse to let me off with a warning or reduce my speed on the ticket and comment on how I still had valid insurance and how the hell I was still alive after being a chronic speeder...its the 250, I love her :agave:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom