holes in a brand new car for rust proofing | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

holes in a brand new car for rust proofing

Based on my extensive experience with Toyota, I would not do it to a RAV 4. Is it a good idea? Sure it is, but there is not a particular need.

I got a Mazda in the summer... and because of the well-known rust problems with the brand from a few years ago, the first thing was to apply Krown.

We also have a 2009 Mazda6, we applied Krown 3 times, the car is perfectly fine. I don't think rust is a problem with Mazda anymore, but the cost of 3 or 4 Krown applications over the ownership of the car is not that much in terms of "insurance".

I've heard that the car will drip for a while after being sprayed. In your experience, how long does this happen for and will it stain a sealed driveway?
About a day. Yes, it will stain. Park in the street for awhile, if possible. Some claim to be dripless but I'd still avoid parking in a nice driveway to be safe.
How does the oil affect electronics and speakers that are in doors, etc.? Do the door windows get covered in oil as well?
Electronics are usually protected. Doesn't seem to affect speakers. Sometimes the windows will get oil on them. A good shop should wipe off your windows if they get it all over them.
If the entire underside and parts of the engine are covered in oil, does it make the car more difficult to work on? Does it attract more dirt?
Not really although it is more dirty. Harder to pinpoint the sources of things like oil leaks since everything is so dirty. Less rust means bolts and other parts are easier to remove.
If I take my car through an automated car wash that has an undercarriage spray, will the oil be washed away?
Some will but it should be ok if you wait awhile and don't do it all the time.

Just to add to this,

1. Krown claimed the oil drip would just "wash away, no biggie". Definitely not the case and has left permanent marks on the driveway until I had the driveway resealed.

2. Certain areas where the holes were made on my car attract a LOT more dirt, which doesn't wash off in the car-wash. This is most prominently around the trunk lid and bottom of the rear doors.

On the plus side, no rust.

Well got it done. Holes drilled in a few spots out of way mostly. Guess we'll see in 10 years. Now the question is if I do it again next year or every 2 years.

Every year! By the end of the winter and spring most of it will be washed off the bottom of the car.

I'm not paying for it, so it's good insurance for when the car might get passed on.... ;o)

They didn't want me in the shop....liability, blah blah, blah....but looks like they did an alright job from the window.

Last edited:
If you have any sensitivity to petroleum type smells plan on parking the vehicle for a few days to a week
Banishes that "new car smell" forever as well
Not trying to hate on Krown but this will piss off some folk

Just to add to this,

1. Krown claimed the oil drip would just "wash away, no biggie". Definitely not the case and has left permanent marks on the driveway until I had the driveway resealed.

This is true, the stains are hard to get rid of. I used Simple Green and it did not remove the drips 100%. Now they are gone but it took 5 months.

The previous time we use Krown it was NOT like that. It looks like they have changed the formula. Be careful if you have interlock stones or other expensive, porous finish on your driveway.

Also... Every year? No way...
Do it every year for the first 3 years, then forget about it. Or do it every two years. It is a Toyota. It does not rusts aggressively. 3 applications are enough for 10 years of shine.

Based on what logic do you say only 3 years.

There's no logic. I am guessing a number of applications. Just personal experience with Toyotas in the last 15 years. Obviously each person's mileage will vary.

In my case, four cars with zero rust proofing but regular touchless washes year 'round, and some detailing once in a while, I did not have any visible rust anywhere - on the outside. So at the time to get rid of each car I was able to wax the paint, and sell in in the used market for top dollar. 2 Corollas, one Camry, one Highlander. If I had applied Krown every year for 15 years at ~ $120... too much money.

But I understand this case, if the goal is to keep the car for 10 years... sure, apply some Krown. I would do it 3 times, once every 2 years...

Definitely long term ownership. I have a buddy that's into restoration that recommended at least every 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom