holes in a brand new car for rust proofing | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

holes in a brand new car for rust proofing

Paulo. I just worked on a brand new jeep just like yours, behind the hinges there is no paint no primer nothing but bare metal, ANY part we took off the car has a mist coat or primer if that , they assemble the jeep complete and primer and paint it, that plus all the foam they spray in the rockers and quarter panels is insane.
We removed the hood bumper and front fender , under the door and hood hinges were rusting bare metal!
This jeep got hit at the dealership by a plow and has 0 km on it and it's rusting, not to mention the bolts were already rusting.
Get that baby oil sprayed , krown will soak in behind all the panels and hinges and bolts and protect it.
Put a piece of Bare metal outside for winter and a piece of bare metal with oil spray on it and you will be shocked in the spring how clean the metal is
Cool thanks TJ

Cheapskatedness ... but practically the whole auto industry is like that. The hinges are in place before the shell gets painted, which means there isn't paint underneath the hinges. Just take a look at the bolts ... if the bolts that hold the hinge in place are painted, it means that hinge was bolted on before it went through the paint line, and there's no paint between that hinge and the body. The thinking is that the paint all the way around the hinge seals it off. All bets are off the moment you take that part off the car or try to adjust the hinge.

But even so, there is not a rash of car doors rusting off ... It has been done this way for decades ...

More common problem is that dirt/leaves/etc builds up somewhere hidden and traps water. The lip on the inside of wheel wells is a common one, but at least it's not structural. Rocker panels are another bad spot. There's an outer layer that you see, an inner layer that you don't, and a space between them that's next to impossible to get paint into. And that's structural. At least those parts are galvanized on a lot of newer cars nowadays, and VW applies an anti-chip coating to protect the paint there. Not all manufacturers do that.

about 8 months ago, sold my 16 year old car to proud new owners and it didn't have a speck of rust on it. Although I did, at the time, have the dealer add additional rustproofing when I bought car new back in 1998, I'm not convinced it was the reason why it never rusted. Even my exhaust was bone stock after 16 years with no rust.

I like to believe todays advancements and technology are much improved from the steel tech of 1998, hence my "experiment" of not using any additional rustproofing on any recent purchases.

Save yo money!

Do you park your car in a garage?

I have Krowned 2 cars already. The holes are no big deal, doesn't jeopardises the integrity of the body

I worked for Krown. The holes are not an issue. They are plugged with a greased plastic plug. We had people ask us not to drill holes. No problem. But head office may not honour the warranty for that panel. If we can`t get the product in there, we can`t protect it. Ask if you can watch the process. We never denied someone from watching the process. It keeps the tech honest.

How long do you intend to keep the car. Most modern cars will show no signs of rust for at least five years, some much longer. If you plan to get rid of the car in say four years you are helping the next guy out, not yourself. If you plan to keep in longer, say 10 years (or if it is a car prone to rust) have at it.

BTW I am a big fan of Krown...

Although you think you won't be keeping the vehicle long enough things can change.

In my case the van supply market changed. My van is a 2004 Safari and there is nothing like it anymore. I figured sooner or later someone would clone it but they haven't. In hindsight a spray oil would have been a good investment.

I'm not sure of the cost of rust proofing. If 10 treatments over 10 years means you can defer buying a new $30K car for three or four years does that put a smile on your face. IMO there is no payback for rust proofing if you get T boned or you trade your car in at a dealer. Insurance companies and dealer go by the book value.

Rust proofing isn't as important as it was 30+ years ago. In the 50's and 60's rust perforation came in as little as 2 years when the bones were still good for a lot longer. Now at 10 years seals and electrical problems often spell the end.

Last edited:
The other issue with Jeeps is the flat surfaces and mixed metals they use. The hinges are the most common to see issues with since they are cast aluminum held on to a steel door with steel bolts. When you introduce moisture and salt to the equation hellooooooo corrosion. With the flat surfaces the water tends to sit instead of running off which also multiplies the risk of corrosion. We recommend Krown to all our customers but pay attention to how the job is done. A good Krown location will take a can of their solution and coat the outside of certain areas on the Jeep as well.

When I took my truck to Krown I asked about holes, and they said "they don't do that any more". So I'm not sure if they meant just for my specific vehicle, or in total. I had my trailer done, and they did drill holes to get into the crossmembers without me telling them. So I don't know what to think, but I can say I don't care if they want to drill holes because it means they can do a more thorough job.

When I took my truck to Krown I asked about holes, and they said "they don't do that any more". So I'm not sure if they meant just for my specific vehicle, or in total. I had my trailer done, and they did drill holes to get into the crossmembers without me telling them. So I don't know what to think, but I can say I don't care if they want to drill holes because it means they can do a more thorough job.
Somebody's lying. I did my car in November

The other issue with Jeeps is the flat surfaces and mixed metals they use. The hinges are the most common to see issues with since they are cast aluminum held on to a steel door with steel bolts. When you introduce moisture and salt to the equation hellooooooo corrosion. With the flat surfaces the water tends to sit instead of running off which also multiplies the risk of corrosion. We recommend Krown to all our customers but pay attention to how the job is done. A good Krown location will take a can of their solution and coat the outside of certain areas on the Jeep as well.
Any recommendations on a location? I think I need to get this done ASAP

Called the one in Richmond Hill...they will put about 18 holes in.

So I had done the same thing at my Known place I had been going to for years. Guy who answered the phone said about the same thing. When I got there I had a chat with them and they said they would see what they can do. Quick inspection of access points and they said they didn't have to drill.

Yes there is no warranty but I am not worried of collecting on that. If they had told me holes were absolutely necessary I wouldn't have had an issue with that either. They are the pros.

Known is awesome imo, they even gift me spray bombs for my wee trailer. However they see me in with my vehicle, my hubby's and I even used to get mom's done too. Couple cans of undercoating is a small price to gain a loyal customer.

Plus I believe that things go differently over the phone than in person.

I have a few questions about this. I'm trying to wrap my head around the full effects of having a car covered in oil.

I've heard that the car will drip for a while after being sprayed. In your experience, how long does this happen for and will it stain a sealed driveway?

How does the oil affect electronics and speakers that are in doors, etc.? Do the door windows get covered in oil as well?

If the entire underside and parts of the engine are covered in oil, does it make the car more difficult to work on? Does it attract more dirt?

If I take my car through an automated car wash that has an undercarriage spray, will the oil be washed away?

I used to do it but I wouldn't now. Surface spray only for me. How is the salt water going to get in there if the rust proofing can't? On the cars I've had it done the only places they got rust were around the holes. The car I just bought has some minor rust, guess what, it's got the holes and rust around them. I bought an old Sidekick a few months ago, thing was so rusted out I couldn't get safety. The rust proofing holes were there along the bottom of the doors but guess what, no metal underneath them (rocker panels were practically gone).

I've heard that the car will drip for a while after being sprayed. In your experience, how long does this happen for and will it stain a sealed driveway?
About a day. Yes, it will stain. Park in the street for awhile, if possible. Some claim to be dripless but I'd still avoid parking in a nice driveway to be safe.
How does the oil affect electronics and speakers that are in doors, etc.? Do the door windows get covered in oil as well?
Electronics are usually protected. Doesn't seem to affect speakers. Sometimes the windows will get oil on them. A good shop should wipe off your windows if they get it all over them.
If the entire underside and parts of the engine are covered in oil, does it make the car more difficult to work on? Does it attract more dirt?
Not really although it is more dirty. Harder to pinpoint the sources of things like oil leaks since everything is so dirty. Less rust means bolts and other parts are easier to remove.
If I take my car through an automated car wash that has an undercarriage spray, will the oil be washed away?
Some will but it should be ok if you wait awhile and don't do it all the time.

Last edited:
Some will but it should be ok if you wait awhile and don't do it all the time.

Krown will tell you 'no car wash for a week', then you're ok.

I use rust check in North Oshawa at Simcoe and Taunton. Good prices and they've done my vehicles for the last 7-8 years.

We have flyers for Krown at 3693 Dufferin ST 416-633-1993. Installation varies by installer and location so as I mentioned just have a peak and make sure everything was done.

I use rust check in North Oshawa at Simcoe and Taunton. Good prices and they've done my vehicles for the last 7-8 years.

We have flyers for Krown at 3693 Dufferin ST 416-633-1993. Installation varies by installer and location so as I mentioned just have a peak and make sure everything was done.
Thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom