holes in a brand new car for rust proofing | GTAMotorcycle.com

holes in a brand new car for rust proofing

Riceburner

So who's done it? Any long term issues with the holes they drill for the rust proofing? They say they cap them with a greased plug.

I didn't let them with this one (first ever brand new), but when they took a look they also said it looked like there were enough holes to be effective anyway. Known addict here, every car every season. I second the above.

Since I'm not worried about Krown's warranty and doing it every year, I'll see what they can do without cutting holes. Modern cars have tons of holes already...it's whether they are willing to take the time and use them or want to make it fast and drill new ones.

I don't bother rust proofing any more, and some new car makers will void the warranty if you do.

the last 2 new vehicles in we bought brand new in 2014, the one had factory applied rust proofing that was clearly visible (and the dealer had the nerve to try and upsell me on further rustproofing :lol: ), and the other one had a warning from the dealer telling me they don't even offer rust proofing anymore, because the manufacturer will void the warranty and clearly states in the owners manual that additional rust proofing isn't necessary.

to each his own....

what'd you end up buying anyway?

Not me, someone else got a RAV4. Toyota dealer still upsells additional rust proofing...and extended warranties ...and all the old standard profit items.

Meh, drill away. My 02 wrx has zero rust and no issues where the holes are drilled. I didn't hesitate to let them drill my truck either.

I've been in the bodyshop bizz for a long time , the factory holes are there so they can spray An expanding foam inside for road noise, trust me when I say this foam does nothing but hold moisture, get new holes drilled and have it oils sprayed, my shop was next door to a rust check and year after year MINT old cars from the 90s would roll in with no rust, or shine left lol but no rust.
It works.

I've been in the bodyshop bizz for a long time , the factory holes are there so they can spray An expanding foam inside for road noise, trust me when I say this foam does nothing but hold moisture, get new holes drilled and have it oils sprayed, my shop was next door to a rust check and year after year MINT old cars from the 90s would roll in with no rust, or shine left lol but no rust.
It works.
So what does Krown do? I refused the Dealer rust proofing when they asked me but i think having a jeep i should do somehting to rust proof

Krown does a penetrating oil spray inside panels and underbody.

A buddy recommended Krown every 2 years for the protection. Don't worry about the warranty, cause you never have to collect on it anyways.

Arent those holes to let the Elpo drain out after going through the Elpo dip?

It works.

Factory holes are there for lots of reasons.

I know there are some cases where voids are filled with expanding foam for noise control, but that should only be done in areas where it is impossible for rainwater to get into. VW used foam insulators in the front fenders on some models and ended up replacing lots of those under the rust warranty when they trapped water and rusted the fenders from the inside out.

Doors should have several openings on the bottom to let water drain out. It's impossible for window tracks to be completely sealed; some water will always get in, and it has to get out. Same is true for any other parts in the bodyshell that could otherwise be a water trap. Frame rails (or the unibody equivalent) should have drain holes at the low spots. If the factory uses a dipping process, those same holes let the excess liquid drain out, but they also need holes to let air out while the body is being dipped and let air back in when it comes out of the dip tank. (The Chevy Vega is one notable example where they missed this in the design, thus leaving unseen pockets that didn't get coated, but it's not the only one)

Many chassis parts have holes that are used during welding and assembly for orienting and locating the parts. Floor pans will usually have locating holes somewhere that the assembly line uses to properly locate the body on the conveyor fixture as it goes down the line.

Sometimes there are access holes so that a fastener can be reached from the backside. Sometimes there are holes for bolting other components to. The bodyshells are designed to account for every possible version, option, engine, transmission, suspension, etc and often not all of them are used.

And, often, there are holes for applying rustproofing where appropriate, right at the factory - and they do it before all the interior trim etc are in the way.

Krown does a penetrating oil spray inside panels and underbody.

A buddy recommended Krown every 2 years for the protection. Don't worry about the warranty, cause you never have to collect on it anyways.

I do mine every 14months give or take. It's just too much of a coincidence that rust proof needs applied every 12 months, just like how many months there are in a year. What are the odds of that?

How long do you intend to keep the car. Most modern cars will show no signs of rust for at least five years, some much longer. If you plan to get rid of the car in say four years you are helping the next guy out, not yourself. If you plan to keep in longer, say 10 years (or if it is a car prone to rust) have at it.

BTW I am a big fan of Krown...

How long do you intend to keep the car. Most modern cars will show no signs of rust for at least five years, some much longer. If you plan to get rid of the car in say four years you are helping the next guy out, not yourself. If you plan to keep in longer, say 10 years (or if it is a car prone to rust) have at it.

about 8 months ago, sold my 16 year old car to proud new owners and it didn't have a speck of rust on it. Although I did, at the time, have the dealer add additional rustproofing when I bought car new back in 1998, I'm not convinced it was the reason why it never rusted. Even my exhaust was bone stock after 16 years with no rust.

I like to believe todays advancements and technology are much improved from the steel tech of 1998, hence my "experiment" of not using any additional rustproofing on any recent purchases.

Save yo money!

So what does Krown do? I refused the Dealer rust proofing when they asked me but i think having a jeep i should do somehting to rust proof

Paulo. I just worked on a brand new jeep just like yours, behind the hinges there is no paint no primer nothing but bare metal, ANY part we took off the car has a mist coat or primer if that , they assemble the jeep complete and primer and paint it, that plus all the foam they spray in the rockers and quarter panels is insane.
We removed the hood bumper and front fender , under the door and hood hinges were rusting bare metal!
This jeep got hit at the dealership by a plow and has 0 km on it and it's rusting, not to mention the bolts were already rusting.
Get that baby oil sprayed , krown will soak in behind all the panels and hinges and bolts and protect it.
Put a piece of Bare metal outside for winter and a piece of bare metal with oil spray on it and you will be shocked in the spring how clean the metal is

tell that to mazda owners.

about 8 months ago, sold my 16 year old car to proud new owners and it didn't have a speck of rust on it. Although I did, at the time, have the dealer add additional rustproofing when I bought car new back in 1998, I'm not convinced it was the reason why it never rusted. Even my exhaust was bone stock after 16 years with no rust.

I like to believe todays advancements and technology are much improved from the steel tech of 1998, hence my "experiment" of not using any additional rustproofing on any recent purchases.

Save yo money!

Back
Top Bottom