Rim positive offset question for the car ppl | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rim positive offset question for the car ppl

Riceburner

Can you run a 35mm positive offset rim on a car that is OEM 40mm offset....if the tire + rim combo doesn't touch anything? What potential problems could there be?

Depends a bit on the tire profile and rim width - they are the same width, right? If the 35 offset rim is wider it will be closer to the suspension by 5mm plus half of the extra width. For a front drive car it's probably the struts that will rub first, so check for space with weight on the wheel. They might rub a bit when turning tight, but just don't turn so much. Probably OK, but you know how that goes...

Just go on tirerack & insert rims & car. Give you all the info you ever need. There are experts on tirerack you can email. Very responsive

If the 35 offset rim is wider it will be closer to the suspension by 5mm plus half of the extra width.

You have it backwards. A lower offset will poke (rim+tire will be moved outwards closer to the fender).

I just got a set of rims from the Tire Rack.

They said that these will fit, so I am sure they are right.

Just to give you an idea, it is somewhat similar to your situation, I am moving to a lower offset.

The OEM offset is 52.5 mm, the new rim's offset is 45 mm.

You have it backwards. A lower offset will poke (rim+tire will be moved outwards closer to the fender).
That sounds right. So as long as it clears the fender and brake components it's fine.

I just got a set of rims from the Tire Rack. They said that these will fit, so I am sure they are right. Just to give you an idea, it is somewhat similar to your situation, I am moving to a lower offset. The OEM offset is 52.5 mm, the new rim's offset is 45 mm.
Yep same scenario. So a 5mm less positive should be nothing. Old rims are 35, new car OEM is 40.

If it's not touching and the difference is negligible, it'll be fine. If you make big changes and still have no touching you can still have problems with handling, suspension, wheel bearings, etc.

And for all those saying to just enter it into some computer system, it won't tell you necessarily.

For example, almost everyone will tell you 15" rims won't fit on a 2009+ WRX. My 2009 WRX had 15" wheels. Those wheels also fit my Porsche 944, which specs a completely different wheel in almost every way except diameter. Although they were custom made.

I'd like to put 15's on my Outlander but I can't find any thing that says anything other than 16+ will fit.

Positive offset is always better, than a negative one. It minimizes the strain and wear on ball joints and etc. This is exactly why you see it on most OEM cars, though it's not as flashy in rim selection.

Positive offset is always better, than a negative one. It minimizes the strain and wear on ball joints and etc. This is exactly why you see it on most OEM cars, though it's not as flashy in rim selection.

Virtually every car runs negative offset.

Nope, almost the opposite I think. Almost every FWD and newer RWD runs positive offset. Those big rims with a deep set rim are negative offset. Any with the face of the rim close to the outside is a positive offset.

Negative offset:
20070206132455_convorear.jpg

Positive offset:
alloy-wheel-424.jpg

WheelOffset.jpg

Last edited:
Wrong.

Nope, almost the opposite I think. Almost every FWD and newer RWD runs positive offset. Those big rims with a deep set rim are negative offset. Any with the face of the rim close to the outside is a positive offset.

Negative offset:
20070206132455_convorear.jpg

Positive offset:
alloy-wheel-424.jpg

WheelOffset.jpg

Right.

Back
Top Bottom